Adventure with my new A2!

Hi everyone,
Really been looking forward to joining here, I wanted to wait till I actually had an A2 to say hello.
Yesterday I picked up my car from a dealer in Edinburgh.
I live in London so that’s a long way from home, especially in this time of lockdown. We had arranged to stay with friends in Manchester for the weekend who have been isolating like us, it’s our first human contact for weeks.

The car:
2005 A2 Special Edition, blue, 1.4 petrol engine. Only 58k miles :)
Panoramic roof, heated seats, lumber support, Single DIN Audi CD player (concerto?)

The Adventure:
I gave the car a test drive before buying and all felt good. I picked up my girlfriend from central Edinburgh then we drove down to Manchester.
We were on the M6, just pulling into the services at Lancaster (I think), when the engine light came up on the dash and the car started dropping power and stuttering.
This is ‘limp mode’ I think?
Anyway, thankfully my bank account gives me AA coverage and a very nice man came quickly and took a look. The error code said it was losing compression of cylinder 3. We cleared the error, tested the car round the car park and it re-occurred :(
In a stroke of luck he has a genuine VAG part replacement coil!
We tested it for a while and left it running and it seemed all good. We made it to Manchester without any further issues and it did seem to be running better after fitting the new coil.
Anyway, I love the car, been coveting one for a long time.
I have many plans and a ton of questions for the experience collected here, i’ll save that for later.
In the meantime, does that fault (and the fix) sound normal?

Rob

Hi everyone,
Really been looking forward to joining here, I wanted to wait till I actually had an A2 to say hello.
Yesterday I picked up my car from a dealer in Edinburgh.
I live in London so that’s a long way from home, especially in this time of lockdown. We had arranged to stay with friends in Manchester for the weekend who have been isolating like us, it’s our first human contact for weeks.

The car:
2005 A2 Special Edition, blue, 1.4 petrol engine. Only 58k miles :)
Panoramic roof, heated seats, lumber support, Single DIN Audi CD player (concerto?)

The Adventure:
I gave the car a test drive before buying and all felt good. I picked up my girlfriend from central Edinburgh then we drove down to Manchester.
We were on the M6, just pulling into the services at Lancaster (I think), when the engine light came up on the dash and the car started dropping power and stuttering.
This is ‘limp mode’ I think?
Anyway, thankfully my bank account gives me AA coverage and a very nice man came quickly and took a look. The error code said it was losing compression of cylinder 3. We cleared the error, tested the car round the car park and it re-occurred :(
In a stroke of luck he has a genuine VAG part replacement coil!
We tested it for a while and left it running and it seemed all good. We made it to Manchester without any further issues and it did seem to be running better after fitting the new coil.
Anyway, I love the car, been coveting one for a long time.
I have many plans and a ton of questions for the experience collected here, i’ll save that for later.
In the meantime, does that fault (and the fix) sound normal?

Rob
Hi rob
Welcome to the forum.
I also have a 1.4 petrol, mine had exactly the same fault, apparently it is quite common.
I was told it could be to do with the rocker cover gasket on these cars. You need to check if your car has any sign of an oil leak, could be really slight.
It is just silicon on this engine, and not to big a job to rectify. Obviously if that is what the fault is?!

Forgot to add a picture :)

DDFB8E34-BB68-43C1-B1F5-39278EE4AD94.jpeg

Ah that’s a good thought! I’ll keep my eyes open for a leak.
I’m planning to get it in for a full service when I get home, if anyone knows a good VW/Audi place in the Leyton or Walthamstow area I’d sure appreciate the tip.

Hi rob
Welcome to the forum.
I also have a 1.4 petrol, mine had exactly the same fault, apparently it is quite common.
I was told it could be to do with the rocker cover gasket on these cars. You need to check if your car has any sign of an oil leak, could be really slight.
It is just silicon on this engine, and not to big a job to rectify. Obviously if that is what the fault is?!

I have 1.4 Sport and had two coilpacks fail in my first 500 miles. Since then I have carried two spares and an extraction tool in the boot. I have now done 8000 miles with no further coilpack failure!

What surprised me was how well the car ran on three cyinders, not ideal but quite passable in town. Especially in my town where everyone drives at 20-25, even in 40 limits.

I have used VPower 99 octane in it for the last two years and it runs very well on it. The car seems faster and has much better low revs pick up. Whether this is because it has been decoked by the fuel or the extra octane or both, I have no idea.

Ah you anticipated my questions about fuel. The sticker in the filler says 95 RON but I plan to stick to Shell VPower, is that a decent plan?

I have 1.4 Sport and had two coilpacks fail in my first 500 miles. Since then I have carried two spares and an extraction tool in the boot. I have now done 8000 miles with no further coilpack failure!

What surprised me was how well the car ran on three cyinders, not ideal but quite passable in town. Especially in my town where everyone drives at 20-25, even in 40 limits.

I have used VPower 99 octane in it for the last two years and it runs very well on it. The car seems faster and has much better low revs pick up. Whether this is because it has been decoked by the fuel or the extra octane or both, I have no idea.

The sticker in the filler says 95 RON but I plan to stick to Shell VPower, is that a decent plan?

Yes, but it's an expensive and unnecessary one. The 1.4 petrol isn't particularly fussy about fuel, and you can happily fill up with 95 RON at your local supermarket without problems.

Yes, but it's an expensive and unnecessary one. The 1.4 petrol isn't particularly fussy about fuel, and you can happily fill up with 95 RON at your local supermarket without problems.

There is no problem running on 95 but it does run better especially over time on vpower partners car is a 1.4 and runs on vpower and she says she can feel the difference, to be fair it does run like a sowing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah you anticipated my questions about fuel. The sticker in the filler says 95 RON but I plan to stick to Shell VPower, is that a decent plan?

Welcome to the forum and nice car by the way. :)

Yes stick with V-power, we uses it or Tescos Momentum also 99 ron. You can definitely tell the difference and the more you get your little bundle running properly the difference is even more noticeable.

If you get no luck with an expert round your way i know a guy who's an ex vw master tech in stains who you can trust.

Back