Advice - fuel leak - FSI - Fuel filter passenger rear underside

mrbroons

Just went to start my FSi that has been laid up dormant for around 6 months and all was well until I realised I was getting a steady trickle of fuel hitting the garage floor underneath the drivers side rear door area. I've not had a chance to inspect given the fading light but I'm assuming this is the fuel filter area. Is this a common issue? maybe simply a clip needs replaced?, I did a quick search and couldn't see any obvious threads on this, so advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

MrB

Fuel filters on the petrol A2s are on the offside so that would make sense.

I’m not sure why it would suddenly leak though. Is there the same plastic de-wetting screw on the fuel filter housing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks sir. From a quick glance it was leaking from the hose coming in from the engine side. But I really need to get under it and check this weekend.

De-wetting?

Thanks sir. From a quick glance it was leaking from the hose coming in from the engine side. But I really need to get under it and check this weekend.

De-wetting?

De-wetting?
Water drain point perhaps

Possibly perished fuel line or corroded clips both cheap fixes
Tending to fit marine grade jubilee given our winter road salt

Congrats on the papaya purchase too

Thanks sir. Newb question but any recommendations on hose and clip and I’ll get them bought ready for the weekends work

De-wetting?

De-wetting. Yes. Sorry. I got my terms mixed up. Pharmacy brain. Dewetting is about having oily liquid (fuel) and water mixed and the nasty effect that can have on flow and surface tension - surface spreading, fluid creep, clumping and so on. Not really relevant in cars!

I meant the removal of water from a non-miscible admixture. The drain screw that lets you release any built up water that’s gathered. Do only TDIs have that?

It’s a mucky area to play about and on my TDi access to the hoses and clips was challenging. Best of luck!

I must admit I did have to look it up and then I was even more perplexed as to how it may be relevant

Just had a chat to my friendly Audi dealer. They only have the 2 small hoses available the rest are no longer in production. The cost of part 3 and part 2 below!!

Wait for it!

£58.08 EACH!

Sooooo, I'll not be ordering them. @A2Steve @Clackers you wouldn't happen to have good pipes for a 54 plate FSi kicking around with good clips also?

I'll do more investigation this weekend to see what can be done as it may just require a jubilee clip or something but putting some feelers out now.

Cheers,

MrB

Audi A2 FSi - Fuel Pipe Parts Diagram.png

Just had a chat to my friendly Audi dealer. They only have the 2 small hoses available the rest are no longer in production. The cost of part 3 and part 2 below!!

Wait for it!

£58.08 EACH!

Sooooo, I'll not be ordering them. @A2Steve @Clackers you wouldn't happen to have good pipes for a 54 plate FSi kicking around with good clips also?

I'll do more investigation this weekend to see what can be done as it may just require a jubilee clip or something but putting some feelers out now.

Cheers,

MrB

View attachment 81001

I've just got an FSI breaker in. I haven't folowed this thread intently, but if you can whatsapp me photos of the pipes you need I should be able to help.

Cheers mate, it is likely it will be all the pipes connecting to the tank/fuel filters just in front of the wheel.

Should be 1, 2 and 3 from the diagram above. I will take a photo however and show you. Uno momento por favor

Yes, although the filter doesn';t look to be THAT bad, it may well hbave corrosion holes on it that are leaking. I'd also check the connectors too. Maybe worth fittinga new filter and seeing if it solves it as you'll need to change it anyway.

Filter on order as I thought that too, just covering the bases, nothing worse than trying to fix something and not having the parts to hand! :)

That makes sense Phil. Do you know if it leaked from the union?

MrB

Back