Advice on changing a steering rack 2001 TDI

LK79

I am looking to change over the steering rack in my A2.

So far I have removed the track rod ends from hubs.

Disconnected the hydraulic connections to steering rack.

Removed the heat shield.

Took off small plastic trim under steering wheel as I thought it disconnected there but doesn't.

Next I am going to remove the bolts that go threw the sub-frame to hold it in place.

What I am not sure about is how I get access to unbolt and disconnect the link to steering wheel ?

My plan is to measure the distance of the track rod ends when it comes out and set the replacement the same ?

I already straightened the steering before I started but just concerned about getting a fault on the steering with angle sensor.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

LK79

The mounting holes in the subframe are oversize so before removal it's advisable to carefully scribe the position. The official Audi method is to use alignment pins, changing the bolts one at a time. They stay in place and guide the subframe back into its original position on assembly
One example of the many sets for sale - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-T...699643&hash=item3ad489395e:g:PqoAAOSwH1pcKl0K

Cheers Spike

Thanks for the info.

I thought it could be done without removing the subframe and just removing out either side.

Officially Audi say the subframe needs to be lowered.
Can't find any how 'to guides' on the forum but there was a mention of one of the Stealth technician's doing the job in an hour. Can't imagine you could drop the subframe etc within that timeframe so it may well be possible to just waggle it out. Certainly worth a try before touching the subframe.

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• A2steering.JPG
    A2steering.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 163
I had a look underneath today and removed one of the bolts that went into the rack.

It does look like it will be difficult to get the steering rack out without removing the subframe, but ill give it ago when i have time and see how i get on.

Back