AF CCU Clicking: is it actually CCU, if so DIY repair?

Rusty911

A2OC Donor
On the 205K TDi late 2003 build (which has been pretty OK up to now) out of nowhere the CCU has started clicking in ignition-off, car unlocked condition.

Car locked and it seems silent.

No different between low battery / battery on charge / fully charged.

I've not noticed any missing functions, central locking seems fine on all doors, no warnings on dash.

I've not unplugged it, but noticing a missing bung in the enormously jack-dented floor I wondered if the CCU had its own private pool, but no, all dusty dry and fresh looking.

As this is a scrap-dodger, I'm pretty keen to fashion a DIY solution one way or another if at all possible.

Have full fat VCDS here if needed: probably should do a scan shouldn't I? :rolleyes: Anyway, that aside, any initial thoughts? Dry joints? Relay contacts? Not CCU at all?

Many thanks!

A late 2003 should be an AF or an AE suffix, the normally reliable ones - although not infallible. Agree that VCDS would be the best way to show you what ails it.

Before you do the scan you could disconnect the battery leads ( both of them ) then touch the 2 LEADS together to dissipate power. Lift the passenger carpet and unplug all connections to the CCCU. Check for wet, corroded or pin damage then refit the plugs. Now reconnect the battery and try the car.

Hi have the exact same scenario on 2003 a2 tdi vcds showed various probs with both rear and drivers door locks all 3 locks repaired /drivers replaced and problem with cycling still there. I have been through everything fully scanned with vcds no faults. Now going to replace cccu/convenience module (af version) in the hope that that will cure it. If car left unlocked just continuously cycles locks every 3 or four minutes when locked it is fine driving me insane

You've reminded me I've not reported back on my issue.

I noticed that the interior light affected the clicking so turned it off as an experiment (what with it being summer and all): no clicking! It's now been a month or so and not a peep.

Now, it may be that moisture levels happen to be lower at the moment and there was some dampness around the CCCU, it may be shear coincidence or it may actually be related to the interior lights somehow.

Regardless, at the moment the matter seems to have booted into the long grass for now.

Back