Aftermarket wheel bearing

ndavid

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I was considering to put 5 mm spacers all corners and to be on the safe side I have bought some hub extenders from Vagbremtechnic. They have a warning in their site that "these extenders are a very tight fit in to the OE hub so for correct fitment proper cleaning of the hub is required".

The extenders have arrived today and I tried to fit them. They are loose. I have an aftermarket wheel hub (SNR) and it seems that the part that should actually hold the wheels is thinner than the OE hub's. Does it mean that it is not that strong as the OEM? Any idea what brand should I use or should I buy the original wheel bearing kit from Audi (some 200€)?

Norbert

Hi,

I was considering to put 5 mm spacers all corners and to be on the safe side I have bought some hub extenders from Vagbremtechnic. They have a warning in their site that "these extenders are a very tight fit in to the OE hub so for correct fitment proper cleaning of the hub is required".

The extenders have arrived today and I tried to fit them. They are loose. I have an aftermarket wheel hub (SNR) and it seems that the part that should actually hold the wheels is thinner than the OE hub's. Does it mean that it is not that strong as the OEM? Any idea what brand should I use or should I buy the original wheel bearing kit from Audi (some 200€)?

Norbert
Hi Norbet,

SKF or FAG are two big players but the jury is out with SKF after a design change so I bought FAG, assuming front with discount available today

Note use of special tool for the work.

Andy

Regulations do vary between countries so best make sure you remain within your countries regulations before you begin with this work.

Hm, I have checked it with my wife's Seat Toledo, it would perfectly fit.

I won't change the hub myself, I don't have neither the tools nor the skills. A few years ago the service has rejected the SKF I brought because of the design change and they have fitted SNR, which is also a considerable player. I just don't know whether all hubs are the same and even the OE hub might be too thin for these extenders...

Back