Air bag light on after large person sat in front passenger seat

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
I gave a ride to a huge (tall & fat) coworker and when he got out of car I realised the Air Bag light (lit up text saying Air Bag) came on and has been on since...

Will this fail mot ? I think it passed with this on last time but not sure

Also, is there something under seat I can jiggle or unplug and replug?

If the light is on it is a fail, but it may just be a bad connection. There is a yellow plug under the seat which could be removed and replaced (it has a little plastic tang to move inwards to release it, somewhere around the purple section). Your mechanic will be able to reset the light, then you can see if it stays off or if you do have an issue.

the airbag light will remain on even if the fault (likely to be the connector as come apart under the seat) is rectified, it need the code clearing to turn the light off, and yes its an mot fail
be careful with airbags as some scanners can trigger the bags going off just be doing the scan of the airbag controller
vagcom as warning about this before scanning the airbag controller

paul

I know you shouldn’t but before the MOT just stop round the corner disconnect the battery and then reconnect and the light should go out for a couple of miles :) Then should pass MOT

I wouldn’t do it personally I’d get the issue sorted by WOM automotive but it’s just a thought I guess for @OldSchool if he hasn’t got time to book he’s car in for the repair as MOT is due in 3 days :);)

Yes I know what you're saying I'd probably do the same if I was in OldSchool's position but I wouldn't buy a car from me either ?

But seriously I can't see it being anything major, it probably just needs the code reset.

Yes, it’s all very funny guys but I’ve been really ill so haven’t had energy to do lots of things when I’ve not been stuck in bed sick...

ok, so I'm taking the A2 into garage Friday morning to get everything sorted for the MOT...

the fat dude that sat in the front seat also slid the seat all the way back and I've read that this can cause the AirBag light to turn on as well...

it seems other VAG cars have this issue too...

I will give the car a quick hoover before I go to the garage in morning...

I was always told to disconnect the battery or at least have the keys out of the ignition before removing air bag connections for fear of them going’s off, could be wrong but I’d air on the side of caution, just saying.

I didn't have time to get to the airbag light myself so it is at the garage this morning...

fingers crossed they can sort it...

mine failed the mot for an airbag light last year and claimed not to have a tool to reset it, so hopefuly they can reset it for you and pass it!

I had this exact problem with a different car, airbag light kept going off. I took it to Mercedes who charged me £90 to reset it, but couldn't find a fault.
This happened three times and I go so fed up with Mercedes taking the p*ss that I thought I'd try a local garage on the offchance. The mechanic there said he knew exactly what the problem was, cut the connectors out from under the seats and soldered the wires together, charged me £30 and the alarm never went off again.

Back