Air con

Luggsy

Hi air con was working then started working intermittently now not working at all , took to KwikFit and they recon the compressor is not working, is there any way to check it ? Thanks in advance

If the pressure is holding then it can only really be the compressor. Check for gurgling back of fridge sounds when fan speed is slow and switching off this can some times but only sometimes be low pressure. If it was working weakly then stopped could be a leak.
Check the bottom front corners of the condenser rad behind the bumper it’s may show dark wet corners where oil leaking out with gas.

So if not a leak then compressor but I would say leak given it petered out gently.

If you need to change the condenser rad then it’s a great time to slap in an inter coiler if you have a diesel. Also change the dryer if your paying someone as this is a service item and should be changed around 4 to 5 years I believe. No one does. It system works wonders with new dryer accumulator

It costs £67 for a wheel alignment adjustment at KF which is a lot when you consider it's a 5 minute job and a small turn of a nut.

A VCDS scan would confirm it’s not the sensor behind the dash. It’s a fiddly job to replace. I just did one had the dash out to replace it.

There is also a sensor in the front of the aircon cooler (behind the front bumper) - but the best way to determine what is wrong is to connect VCDS and ask the car :)

The sensor I am talking about can be changed without taking the bumper off (it is not easy but I did it :) )

There is also a sensor in the front of the aircon cooler (behind the front bumper) - but the best way to determine what is wrong is to connect VCDS and ask the car :)

The sensor I am talking about can be changed without taking the bumper off (it is not easy but I did it :) )
This the little air temp sensor stuck on a little tower infront the radiator? Have to be careful as it's often brittle

Nope external temp sensor is near the bottom in front of the radiator. Air con pressure sensor is near the top.

Hi assuming tdi? I did all this myself with a pro mobile AC man to de gas regas and leak test. He did a de gas then came back next week. Worked well.
Anyway, basically its a doddle if you dont mind taking the time to jack up, wheels off, arches out, bumper off, then its straight forward then. Just removed the intercooler and there she is. The bolts for the pipes are torx and do be gentle with them! Its wise to replace the seals/orings on the two pipes and also to add 20g of PAG oil to the compressor if the new one doesnt come with it prefilled (important!) I would add a bit to a second hand one for good measure. Theres a maximum for the system, memeory signals 120g at me but do some googling its all there, somewhere.

The AUX belt is a 16mm spanner or slim socket to push tensioner arm back to release the belt, then mark its direction, amke sure it goes back on the same way.

Have a look at the top of the compressor theres a oblong lid, if 2nd hand check this doesnt leak when fitted using soapy water (bubbles = leak). this lid is bolted down and underneath is a rubber gasket. When I did mine the lid leaked so I refitted the old one and luckily it worked. Sounds complex but I was unlucky. You can get a AC sealant gel to rub around the gasket for good measure, my mobile AC man did this for me and it worked well. Never had such a cold system with 4C at the vents!

I paid £25 for the polo compressor, I actually bought two just incase!

Thanks for that, is there a member on here that check with a VCDS around Ormskirk area
Yes.

Andy

Where’s the footer ?
Right at the bottom. - Andy

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Back