Air Conditioning 01271 - Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (V68)

Hi Guys,

I was checking my 1.6FSI fault log and found these AC faults.

5 Faults Found:
00710 - Defroster Flap Positioning Motor (V107)
41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent
01271 - Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (V68)
00716 - Air recirculation Flap Positioning Motor (V113)
00601 - Potentiometer On Positioning Motor for Central Flap (G112)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
00600 - Potentiometer On Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (G92)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

While searching for help I found this:-

'This morning I did the adaption for the flaps. For those who are "struggling" with similar problems, it's done this way (found the solution at Audifinns-forum, probably the same for all Audi's):
1) Connect the VAG-COM, go to the control modules, and auto hvac-module.
2) Advanced functions, basic settings.
3) Group number 1. (Press "up" once)
4) As the numbers change, the position of the flaps change.
4) Wait till all those are 0.0.

I did that a few times, and at least all the flaps in question were moving. No fault codes appeared immediately. I'll read the codes again some day and see if they are still failing.'

Has anybody else tried this?

I was wondering whether the AC has to be On or Off or in any particular setting mode before this is attempted.

My AC is working at present but there is a constant whirring from servo motors behind the dash, I am guessing the system is not quite sure of it's own settings.

Reactions: fbi
Thanks for the info !
My temperature flap sometimes goes in "freestyle" mode : for a couple of minutes, it goes from hot to cold, to hot, to cold, ...
But there isn't any fault code from the AC system.
I'll try to follow your "guide" someday :)

So just had this one come up as a static fault.

I tried in vain to jump start the flap but it just wasn't having it. On LO it was pushing out hot air consistently :(

Switch engine off run for a minute and nice cool air comes out.

I may have to get in the queue to see that nice man Tom given the temp flap motor is a right ***** to get to...ie potential dashboard out.

Tom!

Trying to do a full scan first but reader get coming up with same info but instead of intermittent it's red and says "static" .

So just had this one come up as a static fault.

I tried in vain to jump start the flap but it just wasn't having it. On LO it was pushing out hot air consistently :(

Switch engine off run for a minute and nice cool air comes out.

I may have to get in the queue to see that nice man Tom given the temp flap motor is a right ***** to get to...ie potential dashboard out.

Tom!

Trying to do a full scan first but reader get coming up with same info but instead of intermittent it's red and says "static" .

Sounds like the intermittent as now become permanent
Tom is out of the country for another few weeks so hope it stays cold weather ( I don’t think it will be a problem stuck on hot for the foreseeable future)
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even with cold weather that heater is fairly pumping out the hot stuff!

Yup on Tom will either gave to put up for now or use the TT a bit more for now!

Last edited:
Even with come weather that heater is fairly pumping out the hit stuff!

Yup on Tom will either gave to put up for now of use the TT a bit more for now!

In the meantime it is worth at least cycling the temperature flap, from hot to cold several times.

It is worth a try, it resolved the exact problem on an A2 of mine. (also had switched from an intermittent error to a static one.

Steve B

Thanks Steve will keep trying. I had been cycling when I got back from journey thus evening for at least 30 minutes.

Nothing seemed to work where as when intermittent it would clear quickly.

Thanks Steve will keep trying. I had been cycling when I got back from journey thus evening for at least 30 minutes.

Nothing seemed to work where as when intermittent it would clear quickly.

It is a very common fault and 9 times out of 10 the recycling will work, but if the flap motor has failed then that is not good news.

I persevered for around 30 minutes on a couple of occasions and eventually it worked.

Steve B

Got to love this car :mad:

Try for an eternity last night to get the thing to reduce temp - jump in today go for a short drive. Temp goes up, I put to low and it goes very cold. Put temp back up and temp increases.

For as long as I live I'll never understand the mysteries of the temp flap motor.

I think it is one of the mysteries of the universe :)

Whilst it is working I suggest that you spend 20 mins exercising it. Keep moving the temp from max cold to max hot then back to max cold. Repeat until your fingers are tired

The gaps normally stick as against break so exercising them is a very good thing to do
Cheers
Ps or buy an a2 without the bloody climate control ie with manuals control heating A bit old school but never fails

Would it be worth firing one of those cleaner/degreaser sprays through the system? Presumably the flaps ‘stick’ due to deposits of unspeakable material. Air con bomb maybe lube things up?

Those air con bombs are satans work i tell thee.

The stuff gets everywhere aside from into the aircon. Takes days to remove the glossy coating from the seats, dashboard, windows et al.

Without direct access to the flap I'm not sure anything else would help.

Got to love this car :mad:

Try for an eternity last night to get the thing to reduce temp - jump in today go for a short drive. Temp goes up, I put to low and it goes very cold. Put temp back up and temp increases.

For as long as I live I'll never understand the mysteries of the temp flap motor.

they often spend six months of the year on the same setting and they just get sticky. Exercising them fixes 9 out of 10 sticky flaps. You just have to give them plenty of exercise.

Steve B

they often spend six months of the year on the same setting and they just get sticky. Exercising them fixes 9 out of 10 sticky flaps. You just have to give them plenty of exercise.

Steve B

Wonder what the green goddess is up to these days? :D

errr... no.

it's not about stickiness. The wiper of the pot slowly degrades the tracks and the wiper itself loses connectivity over time. The flaps are moved every time the car starts - and every time the car warms up as it tries to adjust the temperature coming out of the flaps to the one on the display. Doesn't matter how warm the engine gets, if you've dialled in 18, it will try to get to 18 and then stay there.

Over time, therefore, the climate unit is no longer sure where the closed and open positions are in terms of the resistance shown by the flap and that's why they fail. A 001 "exercise" may help the unit to understand the new reality but it's mostly an exercise in medium-term futility. The pots need changing at some point, the question is whether you do it now or later. It is not the flap itself and you don't change the flap itself, just the servo motor setup that moves it.

- Bret

Back