Alarm Button... Glued?

Legatron

Hi, fitted the new fuel cap button today and noticed that the alarm button (not the fitting but the button itself) looks to have glued in the "in" positionm pic attached.

Why woudd this be? Or do the buttons fail and this is what it looks like when they do?

The button doesn't move if pressed, no click, nothing.

Cheers
IMG_20210428_171956.jpg

I guess the button broke and the bit you push dropped out and would not stay in if put back. The PO decided rather than having an ugly hole to glue it back in, accepting the loss of function.

You have a minor problem, the button is NLA from Audi and as far as I know the only safe way to obtain a new replacement is from Audi Tradition who currently are not accepting UK orders (Brexit)!

Used buttons from eBay may suffice (degree of wear acceptable to you), but be very careful the button is handed, you need RHD whose part number ends in A (8L4962109A).

Andy

As regards the left hand drive / rhd versions of these, there has been recent confirmation here that the LHD version is the RHD version upside down, using the same loom connector (but with the cover printed the other way up) - so even if you can only get the LHD one, it should fit and function fine, even if the logo no longer makes sense. Obviously, an RHD one would be preferable, but this at least appears to be an option in an emergency.

It might be worth spraying some Wd40 liberally around the gap. Just in case it was a sticky fingered previous owner that caused it.
If you have done WD40 hanging around it is basically free so nothing to lose.
Steve B

They specify that they will try, did you read the following that they put on the details?

“All items are sent across European Union countries with couriers.
If your country is not listed at checkout and you still want to buy the chosen part, please fill the inquiry with a copied link of your item and your address. We will do our best to send it to you”

But the instructions state that if this happens you can do what it says “fill in an enquiry with the link to the item and your address.”

As Steve B @Birchall previously asked have you tried to see if you can unstick the button. failing that buy a cheaper LHD version switch and fit upside down. You may even be able to rescue the button from the RHD one and fit it into the LHD switch provided the internals will allow the button to be fitted ( have not taken one apart to see the under button plastics ).

Hello Legatron and Vic,

I have the same issue with my alarm button, so if you do get one ordered from the Audi Shop and posted to Vic, would you be willing to order me one as well please? I will cover the postage costs and pay in advance.

Many thanks
Simon

Have you tried ordering the one on EBay. Brand new RHD (from Lithuania, but the deliver to UK)?
12D8D24F-57AF-40FA-8D9D-D364CF0D1DD2.png

Indeed that is one hell of a mark up, particularly as they ARE still available from Audi Tradition, just not at the moment due to the farce that is/was Brexit (ducks the rotten veg thrown by Brexit supporters ;))

Cheers
Simon

Back