Aliminium body and aerial connection

oowee

The DAB radio converter I have requires a connection of the aerial to the car body work. The aerial itself is stuck to the glass and has an earth strap with a magnet to attach to the window frame. Any neat suggestions to get a good contact?

The DAB radio converter I have requires a connection of the aerial to the car body work. The aerial itself is stuck to the glass and has an earth strap with a magnet to attach to the window frame. Any neat suggestions to get a good contact?
I’m guessing you might have a Highway system. If so, it’s the same as mine. Because a good earth connection is so important, I took the laborious but effective route of cutting the magnetic end off the earth braid, soldering a ring connector on, drilling a pilot hole in the main structure behind the A-pillar trim, scraping the paint off and screwing the ring to the car with a star washer between ring and body.
I always get perfect reception, except over the Pennines on the A66, where it drops out for about a quarter of a mile.
It’s not quick, but it really works.
Good luck.
Mike

I’m guessing you might have a Highway system. If so, it’s the same as mine. Because a good earth connection is so important, I took the laborious but effective route of cutting the magnetic end off the earth braid, soldering a ring connector on, drilling a pilot hole in the main structure behind the A-pillar trim, scraping the paint off and screwing the ring to the car with a star washer between ring and body.
I always get perfect reception, except over the Pennines on the A66, where it drops out for about a quarter of a mile.
It’s not quick, but it really works.
Good luck.
Mike
Its not a Highway but does the same stuff (with phone and music). I thought that might be the answer. Can I use a steel screw into the aluminium body?

I've got a Pure 600 that is similar - yet to be installed. These were discussed on A2oc around Christmas time 2018 / New Year 2019 if I remember regarding the potential solution.

I’ve got a Pure Highway and simply slipped it under the headlining with the aerial on the windscreen. It performs far better in terms of signal than the DAB in my 2018 4 Series here in the Cotswolds

Its not a Highway but does the same stuff (with phone and music). I thought that might be the answer. Can I use a steel screw into the aluminium body?
I did. Simply a zinc-plated steel self-tapper. Nothing’s dissolved yet.

I know a member here has taken this a step further with the 600 by replacing the stick on strip with a full extendable traditional aerial via glass mount.

I've got all the stuff to do it just not been brave enough to take the strap apart but by all accounts it improves the connection a step further.

As always is the case with these things it depends where you live and things that are in the car that can interfere.

I have the Pure 600.
Same deal, magnetic strap, with electronics box and aerial that stick to the window.
I just tucked it under the celing trim, attached to nothing.
Radio works fine

I have the Pure 600.
Same deal, magnetic strap, with electronics box and aerial that stick to the window.
I just tucked it under the celing trim, attached to nothing.
Radio works fine
Thats just what I did but put the magnet to the rivets which are steel. Not so tight but it works great.

Back