Alternator, Battery or Starter Motor ?

michbelle

Good morning all,
just about to start prodding and poking which I know is never a good idea but I am really fed up with my baby audi (again!).
Had problems starting for a while now. Replaced battery recently and all was good for a couple of weeks but she doesn't want to start
up and I have no idea why. The battery is almost flat even after 200 mile journey so I think it's the alternator. I hate taking her to the
garage and love trying to mend things myself but having located said alternator, I'm wondering if this is a job for the professionals?
Can I remove the alternator without risking causing myself a whole load of trouble?
It's not held on how I thought it would be (I have done this previously to less complex machines than my a2) and looks like when I
unscrew the 2 bolts, it won't just be the alternator that comes away.

Do I finally need to go to a garage?

First thing i would check (if you haven't already) would be the earth strap from the starter motor to the frame which is located behind the n/s (front left) headlight. It can corrode and can cause the problems you are having. Best to remove headlight for access and soak bolt with lubricant to ease bolt removal or it could snap off. If it does there should be another place close by to earth it to so it wouldn't be the end of the world but obviously best avoided if possible.

Failing this it could well be the common fault with the CCU that is draining your battery.

I would say pop along to an Autoelectrian (unless you've got a multi-meter) and check the charging system it should be around 14v when charging. Removel is just the 2 bolts but mine was a pig to get out, i had a problem with the regulator(in the alternator) not charging , had that replaced they did this with the alternator in place

Phil

I'm having issues with first starts. Video can't attach as too large. If anyone can help please. When engine running alternator is around 14 volts. Battery is showing 12 volts with engine off......
Cranks very slowly, then picks up a bit after about 12-15 turns over. If I turn off and then try again starter speeds up a bit more, then faster after a few more seconds and catches, fires up.........
After a few minutes if I turn off and start up it starts like normal.....
Feels like the starters armature/ Magneto loses it magnetism until the coil gets some juice through it.....
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I would lean towards the earth as described above, then the starter motor connections and after that the starter motor itself. A secondhand starter motor will be cheap and it's all easy DIY.

I would lean towards the earth as described above, then the starter motor connections and after that the starter motor itself. A secondhand starter motor will be cheap and it's all easy DIY.
Thank you. I did back off the earth and re tighten as a precaution but didn't do anything..... It could be starter connections needing a good clean.... Now you've said that it's like a mucky terminal and once it's had some current it penetrates the crud..... I'll give that a go first and report back 👍👍

Thank you. I did back off the earth and re tighten as a precaution but didn't do anything..... It could be starter connections needing a good clean.... Now you've said that it's like a mucky terminal and once it's had some current it penetrates the crud..... I'll give that a go first and report back 👍👍

Although you've proven that the bolt can be undone, did you actually take it out and examine / clean the bolt and earth ring as well as the body shell contact point? On two of my A2s (where the bolt could be unscrewed without breaking) there were small burn marks on the bolt from arc welding effects, and lots of white oxide that I cleaned off with a small wire brush as well as sanding the earth ring to clean it up. Once put back together the starting went from "rubbish battery on a cold day" to "brand new car" in the space of 10 minutes work.

There are also other reports here at A2oc regarding the condition of the connection between the earth wire and the earthing ring behind the insulation, so if the above doesn't work there are plenty of other possible issues with the starter earth before getting onto anything more complicated. Best of luck!

Although you've proven that the bolt can be undone, did you actually take it out and examine / clean the bolt and earth ring as well as the body shell contact point? On two of my A2s (where the bolt could be unscrewed without breaking) there were small burn marks on the bolt from arc welding effects, and lots of white oxide that I cleaned off with a small wire brush as well as sanding the earth ring to clean it up. Once put back together the starting went from "rubbish battery on a cold day" to "brand new car" in the space of 10 minutes work.

There are also other reports here at A2oc regarding the condition of the connection between the earth wire and the earthing ring behind the insulation, so if the above doesn't work there are plenty of other possible issues with the starter earth before getting onto anything more complicated. Best of luck!
Thank you. Great advice. I'll do some rudimentary stuff first....

Sounds very much like a poor battery, however the earth lead on the A2 really should be replaced if original
Thank you... The battery is 12 volts with a multimeter bit that doesn't mean a cell is ropey..... I'll clean the earth's up and try the battery off my LT

Thank you... The battery is 12 volts with a multimeter bit that doesn't mean a cell is ropey..... I'll clean the earth's up and try the battery off my LT
Battery should be more than 12 volts. Around 13.8 volts with nothing switched on.
Sounds like the first problem to fix could be the battery.
Mac.
Mac

This seems more like an earth problem than a battery problem. A dying battery gets worse each time you try to start it rather than better.
That's what I thought TBF. They usually wind down due to cranking amp depletion but I'm no expert 👍😁

Is this the earth behind the headlight? Also think this fuel filters had it!!!
Sorry earth image not great... It's on top of chassis leg?????

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_132550.jpg
    IMG_20220526_132550.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20220526_132633.jpg
    IMG_20220526_132633.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 78

I have looked and the earth bolt on top of chassis leg is a bolt head, earth strap then leg.... Is a washer missing????
Should there be something else or I looking at wrong earth point???

Back