AM Reception Problems Symphony Head Unit

Dads Taxi

Good afternoon

I can't get any AM reception on my Symphony head Unit - just endless static!

What is the likely cause please?

It was afternoon, that is why no AM stations.:eek:
If FM ok and the aerial lead is firmly in the back of the head unit, looks likely the radio amplifier (diversity unit) not working on AM. Has this just happened recently or never tried AM before? The aerial is built into the rear heated window element and its wiring passes through the notorious grommets beside the hinges where wires are known to fail.

I don't normally well in fact ever to listen to AM however last weekend I wanted to listen to the F1 qualifying on Five live.
FM seems to be fine but unfortunately my use of the search function didn't have the appropriate key words. I will look into this further.
Thank you

On a Symphony, aren't there two aerial connectors on the back like a Concert - one of which is the diversity? Whilst something could have become unplugged (or wires damaged) at the back of the car (tailgate wires or else at the forward end of the battery compartment as suggested), also worth checking on the back of the radio unit to make sure that all connectors are fully clicked in place. Have you had it or the aircon unit out at any point in case this could have moved something?

https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a...t/radio_systems/connectors_at_symphony_radio/

Last edited:
@Dads Taxi the AM reception on mine has always been pretty poor.

I now have an Xcarlink and connect my smartphone to this unit using Bluetooth, and listen to the digital version of Radio 5live when I feel the need to. The added bonus is all of the other digital stations, plus podcasts, et c available on the smartphone.

My theory: it wasn’t worth throwing money at fixing AM...

Andrew

Back