Another CCU Issue

Hi all,
My Q CCU finally pushed my past my limit and replaced it with an AF.
It didn't come with any fobs, but I bought a "8Z0 837 231 D" fob from ebay.
While waiting for a new "D" fob, I disabled the alarm (softcode 06848) so I could use the car
The fob arrived today, but the problem is, It WON'T RECOGNISE THE FOB!!!

I used VCDS
Controller 46 - convenience unit.
Adaptation 21, set it to 5 to clear all the learned keys form the previous owner.
Adaptation 21, set it to 1, pressed the fob.....and nothing.

The fob has a new battery. I broke it open and put a multimeter in series with the battery. It pulls 8mA when I press a button, so its doing something, but the CCU won't see it.

Any ideas?

Thanks All

Last edited:
It's difficult to test a remote (unlike IR remotes which can be tested with a digital camera). Do you have a friendly car accessory shop? My (ex) local one used to have a handheld device used to test remote frequency output.

I know little about keys except it seems a minefield however a suggestion. Just looked on eBay at the fob and the carrier frequency seems to be 433.92 MHz (you check). If you have the option sticker in boot or handbook the carrier frequency for the car is one of the codes. You will have to decode the options code but my carrier code is 5D1 = 433.92-434.42 MHz.

Hope this is relevant and helps.

Andy

Thanks.
Any info on the car will be redundant, as the old CCU was the "Q" variant, and is now the newer "AF".

I believe that it should be 433.92Mhz for the 8Z0959422AF CCU.
The fob I bought indeed has 433.92Mhz written on it.
I'll try Timpsons as they cut and code keys, so maybe they can test it.
I don't think the fault is with the CCU as the scan of it reports no issues.
Maybe, I could test with another Audi key, as 8E0 837 220Q or 8E0 837 220K (new style keys) are compatible with 8Z0959422AF

Thanks.
Any info on the car will be redundant, as the old CCU was the "Q" variant, and is now the newer "AF".

Maybe, I could test with another Audi key, as 8E0 837 220Q or 8E0 837 220K (new style keys) are compatible with 8Z0959422AF
I wasn't aware the Q was compatible, I ordered a new style K yesterday as we only have one for the TDI sport(already got the virgin transponder). Tell me please, which VCDS are you using as I'm having issues, think the error says something like I need to be registered. TIA.

Thanks.

Apologies for my irrelevant post. It was careless of me to overlook you had swapped the CCCU.

Andy

I wasn't aware the Q was compatible, I ordered a new style K yesterday as we only have one for the TDI sport(already got the virgin transponder). Tell me please, which VCDS are you using as I'm having issues, think the error says something like I need to be registered. TIA.

I bought a key off eBay, successfully coded it to the car after reading the dash using my Autocom to program the key to the car. VCDS lite lets you do some things - oddly enough stuff like swap the engine maps over if its a dual map, but as soon as you try to code a remote it requires registration of the cable - another £90 or so. Once you try and look at blocks over number 19 I seem to recall.
I could however see the remote control receive block change as I pressed the button on the replacement remote, so the key I have I believe is the correct frequency, it just needs to be coded in.

I bought a key off eBay, successfully coded it to the car after reading the dash using my Autocom to program the key to the car. VCDS lite lets you do some things - oddly enough stuff like swap the engine maps over if its a dual map, but as soon as you try to code a remote it requires registration of the cable - another £90 or so. Once you try and look at blocks over number 19 I seem to recall.
I could however see the remote control receive block change as I pressed the button on the replacement remote, so the key I have I believe is the correct frequency, it just needs to be coded in.
Might I trouble you to confirm which Autocom. I'm reluctant to drop £90 on registration (I'm sure it would be well spent) though I don't know anyone locally with VCDS.

Was the key fob new from ebay? Often they put old boards into new cases, if this has happened then the chip is used and need more than VCDS to reprogram it to your car.

Was the key fob new from ebay? Often they put old boards into new cases, if this has happened then the chip is used and need more than VCDS to reprogram it to your car.
Audifan, I assume you are talking about the immobilser chip as against the pairing to the CCCU for the remote operation

@depronman Ah yes I took it when OP said didn't come with fobs I (wrongly ) assumed he obtained a whole replacement and had the blade cut. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Thanks for the replies everyone. No help is ever irrelevant. I am indeed going to use new fob with the new af cccu and old blade and immo chip.

Might I trouble you to confirm which Autocom. I'm reluctant to drop £90 on registration (I'm sure it would be well spent) though I don't know anyone locally with VCDS.
Car and kit is currently 200 miles away but if I have time I will look. I'd say even something like the Torque app might show ECU temp?

Hi guys,

This is my first post; I too have had issues with the CCU affecting my electric windows.

I’ve changed switches, motors and the 30amp thermal fuse, so in the end I sent to Audi for diagnostic and after £60 they couldn’t figure it out then wanted another 2hours at £180 (£90 an hour) just to figure it out.

I questioned that it might be the CCU and technician agreed and quote would be £998 for module and £1500 to fit.

So guys if you know anyone on here that can help with fixing, fitting reprogramming I’m all ears.

Thanks guys and glad to share experiences with our cult classic car!

I too have had issues with the CCU affecting my electric windows.
Hi Bobby, welcome to the A2 Owners' Club.

Could you please provide a description of the symptoms? Whilst the early CCCUs are unquestionably unreliable, their bad reputation often results in them being blamed for crimes they didn't commit. Given that you have a 2004 A2, which will use one of the later, reliable CCCUs, I suspect the issue is elsewhere.

If you can be bothered to drive to Lancaster, I'll fix whatever the problem is for a small fraction of Audi's price. I've never been presented with a central convenience issue that I wasn't able to solve.

Cheers,

Tom

I questioned that it might be the CCU and technician agreed and quote would be £998 for module and £1500 to fit.

£1500 to fit :eek: ........Next time you visit whichever dealer it was, take the Rolex off.......!
Fitting and programming the CCCU should represent 30 minutes effort for a technician.
I'd be tempted to discuss that estimate with someone senior from the dealership, as that's clearly very wrong (not that they'd likely be interested).

My goodness - almost speechless.......
Jeff

Audi remote fobs use different frequencies...…...you'll have to ensure your old one is the same freq as your replacement, its usually etched on the body of the fob, its small so a magnifying glass may help.
The immob chip from your old key should work in the replacement fob but be carefull removing it they are very delicate ......and glued in..
As for coding the CCU im not sure if VCDS lite will allow this as I've only ever used the full edition so perhaps a visit to the Ross Tech websitew will help you they have avery good wiki section.
Holding your old fob beslde the ign lock may be a quick check to see if you have an immob problem, it may also allow access to the CCU if its been locked out by the immob system

Remote section and key(with transponder) sections are individual with good reason. When changing CCU, the key section can be swapped over to the 'new' remote section without any reprogramming. If a used CCU is supplied with as many 'fobs' as required then it's a plug and play swap with no need to use VCDS.

Back