Another for us oldies?

Jellybean

A2OC Donor
Made me chuckle!
8da509c683bf471833942c60ed02c550.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Very nice pump. I've been occasionally passing these pumps for the last 20 years and still nobody has rescued them. I suspect the lit logo on the top was the most valuable bit. Go on, make them an offer and have 4 outside your house ;)

Pumps at Steeple Aston, Wiltshire.jpg

streetview

I have an old "Shell" petrol pump outside my property. It has the cost for 1 gallon of petrol on show. Guess how much? Well, it's 1s 61/2 d! (that's less that 8p, now!) Here :-

View attachment 78926

David
Hi DJ 190,
Could you tell me if the Shell VPower diesel is similarly priced?
& what your hours of business are?
Kind regards
Keith

@DJ 190
Can't see from the pic, is it an "Avery-Hardoll" pump by chance?
Mac.
Yes, It IS an "Avery-Hardoll" pump and it's complete! (They are usually stripped out) It was actually pumping fuel, on a farm, not that long ago.
Very nice pump. I've been occasionally passing these pumps for the last 20 years and still nobody has rescued them. I suspect the lit logo on the top was the most valuable bit. Go on, make them an offer and have 4 outside your house ;)

View attachment 78950
streetview
I would be interested in the pump on the right. Where are they? I'd be making an offer if they were available .....

Now here's another couple of things that only "oldies" could remember? You could buy 4 "blackjacks" for 1d. BUT you COULD buy just one for a farthing! (they had a wren on them). Here's one more : "Shredded Wheat used to be sealed in three's. This was a nuisance because you never ate three at once and that left the odd one partially wrapped. So many memories .....

David

Yes, It IS an "Avery-Hardoll" pump and it's complete! (They are usually stripped out) It was actually pumping fuel, on a farm, not that long ago.

I would be interested in the pump on the right. Where are they? I'd be making an offer if they were available .....

Now here's another couple of things that only "oldies" could remember? You could buy 4 "blackjacks" for 1d. BUT you COULD buy just one for a farthing! (they had a wren on them). Here's one more : "Shredded Wheat used to be sealed in three's. This was a nuisance because you never ate three at once and that left the odd one partially wrapped. So many memories .....

David
More of a Fruit Salad boy myself.
I worked for Avery-Hardoll, between '74 &, 84. New fangled electronic self service kit. I think yours is a 598 ...
Mac.

[/QUOTE]
Shredded Wheat used to be sealed in three's. This was a nuisance because you never ate three at once and that left the odd one partially wrapped. So many memories .....
Ah, that's why I used to always be overweight; I thought that three Shredded Wheat was the recommended serving!

More of a Fruit Salad boy myself.
I worked for Avery-Hardoll, between '74 &, 84. New fangled electronic self service kit. I think yours is a 598 ...
Mac.
I wonder if you can get any spare parts? I'd like new chrome pieces for around the bezel .... Maybe you've got some bits? :) Well I've still got some knitted ties (do you remember them?) that I purchased in 1963! AND how about a "Dave Clarke 5" shirt and a "Beetle" jacket?

David

I wonder if you can get any spare parts? I'd like new chrome pieces for around the bezel .... Maybe you've got some bits? :) Well I've still got some knitted ties (do you remember them?) that I purchased in 1963! AND how about a "Dave Clarke 5" shirt and a "Beetle" jacket?

David
Sorry, no spares, except a sight glass. Missing on yours. It's been converted from retail, where a sight glass was needed (shows you're getting fuel, not air). Yours has a cast iron elbow fitted where it would have been.
Mrs Mac gives old clothes very short shrift, so no old clobber. Did have a knitted tie, went with the tab collar shirt. The Chelsea Boot habit has continued to this day though.
Mac.
The sight glass would have looked like this. I only have the glass bit though:

Attachments

• 5677492372_5eef1799eb_b.jpg
    5677492372_5eef1799eb_b.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Hi Mac,
It wasn't an "Avery-Hardoll". It's a Beck & Co (Meters) Ltd. Model M3/ORLA. I'd really like that site-glass that you've mentioned. May I purchase it, please?

David

Back