Any A2 owners in Peterborough area

Skyeten

Hi just wondering if there are any members in the Peterborough area who could possibly look at this car for me :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Aud...h=item260eaf6266:g:4XMAAOSwUZZbhWfW:rk:1:pf:0
Maybe a bit cheeky request but I live in Edinburgh and there are not many come up for sale up here and as I don't know much about the A2 yet I was wondering if anyone who had a minute or two could have a wee look and see if anything obvious wrong. Seems a reasonable buy at £695...
Thanks
Alan

Hello I stumbled on this car today whilst out and about with work.
Please bare in mind I didn't drive as I only had 5 mins. It looked reasonably straight, tyres all legal but cheap makes, dent to NSF door, interior looked clean and tidy.
I would say it's been standing for a while as a lot of verdegree (probably spelt wrong, green stuff) in all channels and window gutters.
It's a long way to come for a cheap run around, I just wish I had more time to look for you.
All the best

Before even thinking about it, have a look at the MOT test record for that registration - this can usually give some good indicators regarding overall maintenance standards since 15 years ago as well as things that have been (hopefully) done to rectify failures in the last few years that are otherwise likely to need to be done soon after purchase otherwise - assuming it has been looked after and MOT'd by a legit place with decent standards. Tyres, broken springs (fronts seem to get fragile at the top end if the bearings have deteriorated), shocks, anti-roll-bar bushes / drop links, exhaust, front brake discs / pads - just as starters, for instance on a 1.4i. Handbrake drums will almost certainly need to be done (stripped / cleaned / reassembled by someone who can set them up). If you do decide to go and drive, rumbling top strut bearings (creaking under end of windscreen when steering lock to lock when stationary), ARB bushes / drop links (knock / clunk going over potholes on one or both sides) are things that come to mind. After that there is simple wear and tear - worn buttons on the dashboard (radio, aircon, headlight switch, window switches, door pillar switches for petrol flap and alarm bypass) etc etc - but these parts can be sourced easily within A2oc. More advice will be incoming soon. Good luck!

Hi just wondering if there are any members in the Peterborough area who could possibly look at this car for me :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Aud...h=item260eaf6266:g:4XMAAOSwUZZbhWfW:rk:1:pf:0
Maybe a bit cheeky request but I live in Edinburgh and there are not many come up for sale up here and as I don't know much about the A2 yet I was wondering if anyone who had a minute or two could have a wee look and see if anything obvious wrong. Seems a reasonable buy at £695...
Thanks
Alan
Hi when I was looking for a A2 I stumbled across it and to be honest it’s been on the market for 2 months I was going to view as it seemed really good for the price but put me of straight away when the wheels have been painted with spray cans as can see on the tyres. For me just shows the dealer doesn’t care about the car and if there was a problem when they got it they could have done a bodge job I think before you view you should look at MOT history before making a long trip to look at one shows if the car was looked after really also I think this should of sold by now knowing it’s good at that price with the mileage etc maybe people have looked at it and found out that’s it’s in bad shape underneath hope this helps

Cheers

Before even thinking about it, have a look at the MOT test record for that registration - this can usually give some good indicators regarding overall maintenance standards since 15 years ago as well as things that have been (hopefully) done to rectify failures in the last few years that are otherwise likely to need to be done soon after purchase otherwise - assuming it has been looked after and MOT'd by a legit place with decent standards. Tyres, broken springs (fronts seem to get fragile at the top end if the bearings have deteriorated), shocks, anti-roll-bar bushes / drop links, exhaust, front brake discs / pads - just as starters, for instance on a 1.4i. Handbrake drums will almost certainly need to be done (stripped / cleaned / reassembled by someone who can set them up). If you do decide to go and drive, rumbling top strut bearings (creaking under end of windscreen when steering lock to lock when stationary), ARB bushes / drop links (knock / clunk going over potholes on one or both sides) are things that come to mind. After that there is simple wear and tear - worn buttons on the dashboard (radio, aircon, headlight switch, window switches, door pillar switches for petrol flap and alarm bypass) etc etc - but these parts can be sourced easily within A2oc. More advice will be incoming soon. Good luck!

Thanks for the info I will let this one go on reflection !

Hi when I was looking for a A2 I stumbled across it and to be honest it’s been on the market for 2 months I was going to view as it seemed really good for the price but put me of straight away when the wheels have been painted with spray cans as can see on the tyres. For me just shows the dealer doesn’t care about the car and if there was a problem when they got it they could have done a bodge job I think before you view you should look at MOT history before making a long trip to look at one shows if the car was looked after really also I think this should of sold by now knowing it’s good at that price with the mileage etc maybe people have looked at it and found out that’s it’s in bad shape underneath hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks for the message and advice, will keep looking ?

Cheers

Thanks for having a quick look , will just pass on that one then I think !

Also I should have said, it's not at the garage as advertised it's at a bodyshop about a mile from the garage, crammed in so it could be viewed properly.
Don't panic there is one out there for you.
Good luck

@Skyeten - I should just make it clear that the issues I mentioned above are general from experience of buying 52 and 04 plate A2s in the past 15 months, not that specific car. However, the MOT record is a good place to start with any car before going and looking yourself. Another thing I forgot earlier is that some cars still have the original battery (both of ours did and many other people are still only just replacing theirs).

Keep an eye on the Cars for sale here - there are some very nice vehicles at all manner of price points that come up every few weeks, as well as projects that have had many of the needed parts replaced at a long way below what a garage would charge to do it from scratch.

@Skyeten - I should just make it clear that the issues I mentioned above are general from experience of buying 52 and 04 plate A2s in the past 15 months, not that specific car. However, the MOT record is a good place to start with any car before going and looking yourself. Another thing I forgot earlier is that some cars still have the original battery (both of ours did and many other people are still only just replacing theirs).

Keep an eye on the Cars for sale here - there are some very nice vehicles at all manner of price points that come up every few weeks, as well as projects that have had many of the needed parts replaced at a long way below what a garage would charge to do it from scratch.

Hi Thanks for the helpful info there Robin, this seems like a great wee community and very helpful ! Is there a "for sale " section as I reckon it is a good way of getting a decent car, I am not in a hurry so can wait until a good one is advertised on the forum. I did read somewhere that you used to have a classified section but it was taken down for some reason ?
Thanks again
Alan

Hi Thanks for the helpful info there Robin, this seems like a great wee community and very helpful ! Is there a "for sale " section as I reckon it is a good way of getting a decent car, I am not in a hurry so can wait until a good one is advertised on the forum. I did read somewhere that you used to have a classified section but it was taken down for some reason ?
Thanks again
Alan
There certainly is a 'for sale' sub forum but you probably cannot see it because you have not paid the trivial (£2) fee to access it. Can't remember the details of how to activate as I never went through it (a newish innovation) but will look it up later if no one responds.

Andy

Last edited:
I can't quite remember, but I'm sure that if you click on "market" you will probably get a prompt telling you that you need to upgrade. It's pretty straightforward. I managed it!

LG.

There certainly is a 'for sale' sub forum but you probably cannot see it because you have not paid the trivial (2£?) fee to access it. Can't remember the details of how to activate as I never went through it (a newish innovation) but will look it up later if no one responds.

Andy
Hiya. It is a £2.00 update. Could possibly turn out to be the best £2.00 you spend all year!

LG.

Hi Andrew How do I go about paying the £2 ? paypal ?
Cheers

Hi Andrew How do I go about paying the £2 ? paypal ?
Cheers
Found it. Click on your user name in the main menu bar and pick 'Account details' in the drop down box. On the page that appears click 'Account upgrade' on the left menu. Might take a few days to activate.

Andy

Last edited:
It says 5 seater but looks like a 4 to me. Looks like it has been owned by an old couple and their little dog! That's the sort of mileage my old man used to put on his motability cars towards the end of his life.

I'm not looking for a petrol model but I'm looking forward to seeing what other A2 experts think of this one.

LG.

Does the oss work? Obviously been a dog owner judging by the dog hairs in the back and general interior looks grubby. Again a long way for you to come, it would really depend on how it drives. MOT history doesn't seem too bad.
I don't think it is expensive for the milage if it is a genuine car but the advert reads badly but I suppose you shouldn't judge someone on their spelling ability.
Good luck

Back