ARTHUR the A2OC TraveL Bug

wooly A2

arthurcopy.jpg

Many of you might not remember but we have got a Travel Bug which is travelling up and down the country as we speak .....
The focus of our Competition this year at Castle Combe involved questions
relating to "ARTHUR" our TB ...I Had a bit of a tough time trying to explain to a few people what "ARTHUR" is and how he gets around in the world of Geocaching .....

What is Geocaching ?
Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt,it is a good way to take advantage of the many features of a handheld gps unit. The basic idea is people hide caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they take something they should try to leave something for the cache.

A cache is generally a tupperware or ammo box full of bits and pieces but are generally hidden somewhere of interest or generally somewhere scenic which is nice for a walk hidden out of eyes view ,
that is where the GPS comes in ....

What is a Travel Bug
A Travel Bug is a trackable item that moves from place to place, picking up stories along the way.It has a small metal tag on it with a number on it which when found or transfered to another cache is logged on www.geocaching.com
My daughter currently has a bug which has gone 13,000 miles .......

"ARTHUR" got his name earlier this year when we had a Poll on the a2oc website and "ARTHUR" was the name that won the Poll......http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3669&highlight=geocaching

"ARTHUR" Started his journey at Shalford Common on the 27/05/06 and these are the places he has visited this year so far maybe he has been near where you live .....

Shalford Common............Nr Guildford...............SURREY.............27/05/06
Hens Head Wood............Nr Hemel Hempstead....HERTS.............10/06/06
Hughendon Park..............Nr High Wycombe .......BUCKS.............21/06/06
Riverside Walk................Buckingham................BUCKS.............17/07/06
Vantage Point................Newport Pagnell..........BUCKS..............25/07/06
Chrome Hill....................Nr Bakewell................DERBYS.............10/08/06
Ashwelthorpe Woods.......Nr Norwich.................NORFOLK...........15/09/06

You can read more about "ARTHUR" here
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=276164

Hope this helps a little Ian LOL !!!!

Last edited:
Hi Wooly

May I mention another Geo pastime that could be combined with Geocaching [two for the price of one, so to speak ;-) ] It's Geographing http://www.geograph.org.uk/

The objective is to photograph every square kilometer square shown on the Ordance Survey maps. Like Geocashing, the aim is to get people out and about and see new places. It will also create a snapshot of Britain in early 21C.

So far 55% of the country is cover. Whilst there is a point for uploading the first pic in a square, many people also upload multiple pics to give a more representative coverage. And many spend time writing up background notes. Plus there is a very active forum.

As time progresses the urban areas are reaching 100% but there's plenty of countryside still left. All images are submitted under a Creative Commons Licence.

P.S. Spot the A2 http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/212408

Last edited:
I Thought i would update you on the whereabouts of ARTHUR the A2OC Travel Bug .....

He has know travelled 778 Mile's up and down the UK......

Here are some of the place's he's been ,
Shalford Common............Nr Guildford...............SURREY.............27/05/0 6
Riverside Walk................Buckingham................BUCK S.............17/07/06
Vantage Point................Newport Pagnell..........BUCKS..............25/07/06
Chrome Hill....................Nr Bakewell................DERBYS.............10/08/0 6
Saltram Woods...............Nr Plymouth...............CORNWALL.........21/01/07
East Budleigh ................Nr Exeter...................DEVON..............04/02/07
Budleigh Salterton...........Nr Exteter.................DEVON...............08/04/07
Dartmoor ......................Nr Torquay................DEVON...............26/08/07

Arthur Just before Release ......
Arthurjustbeforerelease.jpg

Arthur Meets his Big Brother ........
ArthurMeetshisBigBrother.jpg

Arthur Meets his first Geocaching A2 0wner .....
ArthurMeetshisfirstGeocachingA2Owne.jpg

Last edited:
I Have retrieved Arthur from a geocache in Bracknell as i was on my way to Guildford
last weekend and thought it might be an idea to take to the Coventry Social so you guys
can see what Geocaching is all about ....

He has know covered nearly 1000 Miles around the country ...

May get to release him again somewhere nr Coventry ....

I Have retrieved Arthur from a geocache in Bracknell as i was on my way to Guildford
last weekend and thought it might be an idea to take to the Coventry Social so you guys
can see what Geocaching is all about ....

He has know covered nearly 1000 Miles around the country ...

May get to release him again somewhere nr Coventry ....

Here are some of the place's he's been ,
Shalford Common............Nr Guildford...............SURREY.............27/05/0 6
Riverside Walk................Buckingham................BUCK S.............17/07/06
Chrome Hill....................Nr Bakewell................DERBYS.............10/08/0 6
Saltram Woods...............Nr Plymouth...............CORNWALL.........21/01/07
East Budleigh ................Nr Exeter...................DEVON..............04/02/07
Budleigh Salterton...........Nr Exteter.................DEVON...............08/04/07
Dartmoor ......................Nr Torquay................DEVON...............26/08/07
Sherfield on Lodden.........Nr Basingstoke ..........HANTS................16/09/07
Woosehill.......................Nr Reading ...............BERKS.................28/09/07
Nine Mile Ride.................Nr Bracknell...............BERKS.................06/10/07
Southend woods ............Nr Wokingham............BERKS.................29/10/07
Tarmens Copse...............Nr Bracknell ..............BERKS.................15/02/08
Peatmoor Lake ...............Nr Swindon...............WILTS.................23/02/08
Junction 12 M40.............Nr Coventry...............WARKS................23/02/08

Last edited:
As promised i took Arthur to the Coventry meet so you guys could see what the heck its all about (Ian) lol and i dropped him off on the way home at Junction 12 of the M40 To complete his first 1,ooo Miles not far behind the Blue TB which had covered 12,500 miles this one started its journey in Washington DC had also been to Hong Kong so hopefully it wont be long before Arthur Catches him up .....Will keep u posted ....

Just one of the many strange places a TB can turn up my wife's
Jack Daniels TB which has know travelled 10,000 Miles
Is currently in Indiana in this strange looking bridge
built in 1914 dont make em like they used to ...Yeehah !!!!

0f8a0a4b-8293-4843-a286-82edf8c724b.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the latest on "Arthur"
In a Zafira on his way to the coast

6389aa0e-5279-4057-9a6e-6fb621ad2467.jpg

Nr the edge of the Seven Sisters

4e721b0a-c399-4035-9370-16e86a2c32db.jpg

This was Arthurs 55th stop since being released to the public and has covered 1761 miles so far
but is about to get some serious miles under its wheels as it is going on a roadtrip around Holland ,Belgium and France
before returning back to the UK ....

You can view where Arthur has been in Google Earth at this link
http://www.geocaching.com/kml/tbkml.aspx?tbguid=8ffd33b3-4fc1-4b36-bc08-a87b9e09193d

Last edited:
Ive had some very bad News "Arthur" has been declared missing in action ...

He was last seen in Northern Spain in a place called A Caruna,
this is bad news but not a complete disaster as when you release a Travel Bug
you get a duplicate dog tag so he can be replaced and still tracked ....

Looks like one of those weli model A2 cars i got from Wilkinsons will be replacing him....

Only Problem is he used to be made out of Pewter so know he's getting a respray
and he will be bright red instead...

Back