ASR and ABS warning

Hello All. Last weekend I replaced both wishbones on my 1.4 petrol. A couple of days later the ASR and ABS warning lights came on and the Big Red warning in the middle of the dash. Now, when I switch the car on, ASR and ABS on, and as soon as I drive off the warning sounds. I jacked the car up and checked all the connections, all good. I ran the car in gear, from scratch, locking each front wheel in turn. As soon as a wheel turns, the warning sounds so this leads me to believe that the ABS sensors are working. I have never had any ABS issues before. Should I be able to hear something from the ABS pump? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Russ

Hello All. Last weekend I replaced both wishbones on my 1.4 petrol. A couple of days later the ASR and ABS warning lights came on and the Big Red warning in the middle of the dash. Now, when I switch the car on, ASR and ABS on, and as soon as I drive off the warning sounds. I jacked the car up and checked all the connections, all good. I ran the car in gear, from scratch, locking each front wheel in turn. As soon as a wheel turns, the warning sounds so this leads me to believe that the ABS sensors are working. I have never had any ABS issues before. Should I be able to hear something from the ABS pump? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Russ
Sounds like ABS sensor or wiring. Do you have a scanner? It will make diagnosis easier. You could test the wiring from sensor to ABS pump though diagnostic is recommended.

Hi Damadgeruk. I don't have a scanner. I have Torque on my phone, but am not getting a fault code.
Had the same warning lights a few weeks ago, Torque(Pro) was of no use though VCDS returned a code which led to me changing the ABS sensor(old one had to be drilled out). Sensor was cheap(£25).
@Vorsprung durch Technik recently recommended this (cheap) scanner...

Thanks
Russ

Hi, the symptoms sound exactly like a wheel sensor fault but a fault code scan will confirm and indicate the wheel(s) affected.
It could be due to damage to the wiring when everything was apart or possibly the sensor, however, did you also do anything with the wheel bearings? A common cause of unexpected sensor problems is not pushing the bearing fully home into the hub. The end of the bearing is the part that the sensor reads and if it is not pushed in completely then its too far away and doesn't work. This picture shows why.

Inside face of bearing showing wheel speed sensor.

regards

Andrew

Last edited:
Thanks
Russ
I have the same problem. In addition, if I rev the engine past 2200 while stationary, this also sets the big red warning off. Can you check yours to see if it is the same?

Kwik fit will check your brakes for free, they even have a scanner. I panicked when they offered me this service and declined it for fear of what they might find, but it is available.

Hi All. Thanks for all the ideas. I ordered one of those ODB2 scanners but it will take a few days to arrive so I am sitting tight and putting up with the warning. I don't feel any difference in the car or braking at all. In answer to the questions, I didn't touch the bearings, driveshaft or hub when I replaced the wishbones, but I did pressure wash the lot, so something could have been dislodged. I can rev as normal with no other warnings. ODBII and Torque pro are not giving any fault codes. I changed pads about 6 months ago and I rechecked last night, all good. I also tested the wear indicator sensor and all appears working. Visually wiring looks ok, and my basic checks show that the sensors pick up that each front wheel is turning, or not.
Are there rotation sensors on the rear wheels as well? Its always possible that it is one of the rear wheels if that is the case.

Thanks
Russ

This thread is most useful.
I have just rotated all my wheels individually while jacked up, and with the ignition on, without starting the engine. The front offside wheel set off the big red bleeping thing. The abs and traction control lights are on as a permanent feature. I have changed both the abs sensor and the bearing in this wheel. What should I be looking at next?

To get to bottom of these faults you need to read the fault codes stored in the ABS unit.........either an OBD reader capable of doing ABS or probably the more useful VCDS....the codes will then tell you what is causing the problem with a simple code to check against the table of ABS faults and what may need replacing.

This thread is most useful.
I have just rotated all my wheels individually while jacked up, and with the ignition on, without starting the engine. The front offside wheel set off the big red bleeping thing. The abs and traction control lights are on as a permanent feature. I have changed both the abs sensor and the bearing in this wheel. What should I be looking at next?
The thought that drifted through my mind was an incorrectly fitted wheel bearing. When you say 'I have changed the bearing' (or was it a garage?) did you(they) use the special wheel bearing tool essential and unique to the A2? If not then this is most likely your problem, without it a standard press (or worse large hammer) will damage the bearing, likely to leave it not set square and trigger ABS faults. Ask @Pinkythelabrat!!

Andy

The thought that drifted through my mind was an incorrectly fitted wheel bearing. When you say 'I have changed the bearing' (or was it a garage?) did you(they) use the special wheel bearing tool essential and unique to the A2? If not then this is most likely your problem, without it a standard press (or worse large hammer) will damage the bearing, likely to leave it not set square and trigger ABS faults. Ask @Pinkythelabrat!!

Andy
Thanks for your suggestion. Fortunately, I had a look at the abs sensor following the advice shown in the pic above. I took it out, cleaned the area with wd40 and an old toothbrush and replaced it. No more big red light!! Although the others remain. I feared having to redo the bearing, but thus far it seems ok.

It is a sensitive wee system. Mine took a few days and a long journey to go off after each wheel bearing.

That said, I’ve had alerts simply for running different sizes tyres front and back (very briefly to the garage) - the small% difference really alarmed it! Also reports of a low pressure tyre being an issue as well.

It’s good to feel so safe and looked after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update! or sort of. I received the VCDS I ordered and went straight out to check on the code. I followed the instructions, went to ABS and got a code. Things were looking good. 00788 - reading through the list it says "Foot well/defrost Flap Two-wag Valve -N118" and now I have no idea what the problem is!. I have tried clearing the error, VCDS says error clear, but the lights are still on! I'm confused. Oh the joy. I will take it for a drive later and see if anything changes. Then I will check tyre pressures just in case!
Thanks Russ

Update! or sort of. I received the VCDS I ordered and went straight out to check on the code. I followed the instructions, went to ABS and got a code. Things were looking good. 00788 - reading through the list it says "Foot well/defrost Flap Two-wag Valve -N118" and now I have no idea what the problem is!. I have tried clearing the error, VCDS says error clear, but the lights are still on! I'm confused. Oh the joy. I will take it for a drive later and see if anything changes. Then I will check tyre pressures just in case!
Thanks Russ
Hi Russ,

Are you sure you have read the code number correctly and not 00778? It will be stored in the VCDS log file which I hope you saved, even better post the log file here.

Is this VCDS Lite?

Andy

Hi Andy, yes, definitely 00788 - checked it a few times. As for VCDS I bought the item posted here earlier. Saved the log file, good question. If it is done automatically, then yes, if not then no.

Hi Andy, yes, definitely 00788 - checked it a few times. As for VCDS I bought the item posted here earlier. Saved the log file, good question. If it is done automatically, then yes, if not then no.
I am now confused, I see no link for purchasing VCDS above, I see the link for the cheap OBD2 scanner but that is not VCDS. A nomenclature problem I think.

Andy

Back