Audi A1 MMI Install

gangitano85

A2OC Donor
Belgium
Does anyone know if this has ever been attempted? I got the idea from my Volvo XC70 P2 which has a built-in sat nav. Being an 18-year old car, I don't have to tell you that the technology is obsolete (most recent maps date to 2011, needs to be operated by remote, etc.). The unit had failed on my car and I found an interesting project where you use the original housing but take the old screen out and fit a TomTom sat nav in. In the end very simple and I now have a working modern sat nav in the car.

I was wondering whether something similar could be done using the A1 MMI screen. I would again only keep the housing and install a modern sat nav into the unit. I would need to check the dimensions to see which one would fit. I believe the screen pops up and goes down mechanically (I might be wrong here). I haven't checked the dimensions but I would be looking at cutting a hole at the top of the centre console.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Does anyone know if this has ever been attempted? I got the idea from my Volvo XC70 P2 which has a built-in sat nav. Being an 18-year old car, I don't have to tell you that the technology is obsolete (most recent maps date to 2011, needs to be operated by remote, etc.). The unit had failed on my car and I found an interesting project where you use the original housing but take the old screen out and fit a TomTom sat nav in. In the end very simple and I now have a working modern sat nav in the car.

I was wondering whether something similar could be done using the A1 MMI screen. I would again only keep the housing and install a modern sat nav into the unit. I would need to check the dimensions to see which one would fit. I believe the screen pops up and goes down mechanically (I might be wrong here). I haven't checked the dimensions but I would be looking at cutting a hole at the top of the centre console.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Providing you have a double-DIN dash you can easily fit an RNS-E unit, with maps last updated in 2020.

Updated firmwares are available:

Morning,

Whilst Im not overly qualified to give the best answer to you question, off the top of my head is that the later/more recent Audi MMI system communicates over MOST opposed to our aluminium friends communicating over the Infotainment CAN. To the very best of my knowledge no one has attempted to produce a functioning gateway between the 2 languages, although it won't be impossible but might only be achievable with a wide open wallet.

The idea of removing the/some internal parts of a dated head unit and replacing out with todays technology hasn't really been done either with any VAG head unit. That said there are other alternatives options already open to you if you're already running a RNS-E.

Conduct an internet search for Car PC + Touch screen + RNSE and you'll come across many lightly different variations in completed projects. Ive personally not looked at this as an option just yet as there isn't a perfect solution available on a DIY kit so far. Running a Car PC has some very nice possibilities, like installing VCDS onto it so you have constant diagnostics at the touch of the screen along with storing a vast amount of music etcetera. Ive done some initial research into this and you might, one day see a Mac Mini installed on one of my future projects. A (big) job fr another day.

For now though the RNS-E PU with a cable free environment that is easily achievable within the A2, connected to my iPhone seems to be more than able to do what I want it to do.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

I am guessing that I didn't make myself clear. I just want to use the housing of the A1 MMI, the internals would be swapped with a sat nav (TomTom or Garmin, whichever one fits the best) and the unit would just need power as all of the internals would be from the original sat nav.

Hello again,

Just re-read you initial post and now fully understand your question. Whilst you may well be able to find a SatNav unit with similar dimensions to the A1 MMI pop up screen, locating it in the top of the dashboard might be a challenge.

Someone like David @DJ 190 might be able to give you some advice on what the depth is below the covering. From memory he had to trim the plastic tubing arrangement that feeds the central vents just to fit a rather slim storage tray.

It really is an interesting project that you’re thinking but to fully attach any bespoke brackets to secure the A1 flip up screen then ultimately the dashboard might have to come off. If you was to have the finish spot on along with an enhanced speaker to hear over the cars audio system then many would be interested I’m sure.

Have you got your hands on an A1 screen and it’s mechanism already, what’s the dimensions on the complete assembly in it folded/stowed position? If not then there is one on eBay right now for £15, not a lot of money in the name of innovation I suppose.

Good luck with this venture. Happy to provide any remote help if need be. Might even be passing in a few weeks as I head to Dover.

Kind regards,

Tom

Utilising the square on the dash has been looked at (and achieved) many times. Lots of history if you search, for example Google search 'a2oc square on dash'. Maybe Tom is thinking of this

Andy

Or the Garmin I built into the dash replacing the centre vents.
20210127_145146.jpg
20210127_144956.jpg

Utilising the square on the dash has been looked at (and achieved) many times. Lots of history if you search, for example Google search 'a2oc square on dash'. Maybe Tom is thinking of this

Andy
Afternoon Andrew,

That’s the post I was thinking of, thank you.

For the depth of the aforementioned A1 flip screen leads me to think that the complete removal of the feed tubing to the central vents might be essential.

Quite sure another member removed the function of the central vents to hold a SatNav or mobile phone. Seem to recall it was Graham @audifan But might be wrong.

Edit: It of course was Graham as he just posted pictures of what I was thinking. My brain certainly isn’t firing on all 3 today.

Kind regards,

Tom

Not enough depth below the dash top "panel" on the A2 to take the A1 screen either in the folded flat position nor in the viewing position. The panel is also very fragile and would probably just break rather than cut nicely to insert something, although removing the whole square would probably be less troublesome. Issue is very little room under it for anything as the centre vent air ducting takes most of the available space.

Not enough depth below the dash top "panel" on the A2 to take the A1 screen either in the folded flat position nor in the viewing position.
You've beat me to it! I did get a reasonable depth of tray below the top of the dash, though. (30-35 mm) It was plenty enough to fit a pop-up sat-nav unit with an easy to use action. ( I've still got it ) It's all on this forum .... Use the search facility Oh, the dash isn't fragile and the pop-up lid is strong and rigid.I've done this twice and it's well worth doing.

David

I was considering this before I left for other shores, one of the issues was the can bus messages of the A2 are totally incompatible with the modern mmi systems and you would need translation and away of creating ignition, lighting and speed pulse messages that the mmi system understands. I think I know enough now about Arduino coding to be able to build a translation module to do this, but I don't have access to anything now since leaving the UK, no A2, no A1 car or parts.

Back