Audi A2 1.4 petrol - third gear crunchy noise and fan speed

guardo

Croatia
I bought Audi A2 (1.4 petrol engine) few days ago and sometimes when I shift from 2nd to 3rd gear or from 4th to 3rd gear my gearbox makes crunchy noise and I have to return to neutral and shift again to 3rd. I feel like I need to "find the gear" to shift into it. I don't know if it does that because I change gears too early or too late. When I change from 4th gear to 3rd gear while driving below 30-35 km/h (18-22 mp/h) it doesn't happen.
Also when I turn on my heating or cooling and set my fan speed to center (medium speed) it keeps going on and off.
Can anyone tell me why those things are happening and maybe how to fix it?
Thank you in advance!

Hi there

So for gear change I would recommend a change of the gearbox oil unless service history indicates it has been done recently. Then I would try adjusting the gear selector cables. This video runs through what you need to do

For the heater; are you able to get a scan performed on the car (VCDS). I would say it might be best to clear any errors reported and then rescan the next day and post results. That way any spurious errors that may not be related to the issue you experiencing at the moment will be cleared out

best wishes

J

Good Evening,

Welcome.

On the heating problem you said you "set my fan speed to centre" which made me think you have the manual control system, but then you mentioned cooling so I don't know. It would be good from the start to establish if you have the manual or electronic climate. Post a picture.

Andy

Good Evening,

Welcome.

On the heating problem you said you "set my fan speed to centre" which made me think you have the manual control system, but then you mentioned cooling so I don't know. It would be good from the start to establish if you have the manual or electronic climate. Post a picture.

Andy
Here is the picture, I'm sorry but I'm car noob haha.

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-03_14-10-42.jpg
    photo_2023-05-03_14-10-42.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 55
Hi there

So for gear change I would recommend a change of the gearbox oil unless service history indicates it has been done recently. Then I would try adjusting the gear selector cables. This video runs through what you need to do

For the heater; are you able to get a scan performed on the car (VCDS). I would say it might be best to clear any errors reported and then rescan the next day and post results. That way any spurious errors that may not be related to the issue you experiencing at the moment will be cleared out

best wishes

J
Thanks for the advice, I will try to find a person to change the gearbox oil for me.

Your blower motor is seizing up. Remove it and clean the bearings or fit a replacement blower motor assembly.

Thanks for the advice, I will try to find a person to change the gearbox oil for me.
Hi
Fairly straightforward for most garages and they may well be able to adjust the selector cables for you as well If you don’t feel confident being new to the A2. The engine is shared with VW Polos so a general VAG experienced garage should be able to help

So you do have air con so would recommend a scan to establish whether it is throwing any errors as a starting point

best wishes

J

Back