Audi A2 1.4TDI - Is the fuel pump electrical or mechanical?

tanderson

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out if the fuel pump is mechanical or electrical, but can't seem to find it anywhere on google or this forum. I can across a post about a guy trying to locate it but he couldn't find it and there were zero replies unfortunately. Anyone happen to know which of the two it is? Just to clarify, I'm on about the fuel pump that pumps fuel to the engine. Would really appreciate any help provided! If I've left something out, please let me know.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out if the fuel pump is mechanical or electrical, but can't seem to find it anywhere on google or this forum. I can across a post about a guy trying to locate it but he couldn't find it and there were zero replies unfortunately. Anyone happen to know which of the two it is? Just to clarify, I'm on about the fuel pump that pumps fuel to the engine. Would really appreciate any help provided! If I've left something out, please let me know.
The fuel pump is under the rear passenger seat on the driver's side and it is an electrical one.

Tilt the seat forward and you will see a large round plastic cover, remove that and you will see the combined pum and fuel gauge sender.

There is (I believe) a second pump involved but I am not sure about that, I will try and find out just in case our more technical members are busy.

Steve B

Last edited:
HI,

I found the other (mechanical this time) pump on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-1...500907?hash=item281ab1062b:g:oBkAAOSwM4xXZeFP

It looks like this

fuel pump.jpg

Steve B

It is actually two pumps, the electrical lift pump that Steve described located in the tank that operates as a pre-supply pump and
pumps fuel to the mechanical fuel pump located on the cylinder head.

Thanks for the quick reply! :) I'll take a look at the electrical fuel pump when I get the chance and try and sort things out. I wasn't getting any fuel into the engine so it looks like that's the one that needs replacing. Thanks for the massive help again!!

Thanks for the quick reply! :) I'll take a look at the electrical fuel pump when I get the chance and try and sort things out. I wasn't getting any fuel into the engine so it looks like that's the one that needs replacing. Thanks for the massive help again!!

Have you recently run out of diesel by any chance? It could be that you have an airlock and you need to bleed the system.
Unfortunately the system is "self-bleeding" but it takes a "bleeding" long ime to bleed it and you will flatten your battery trying!

Steve B

As far as I'm aware, the TDI doesn't have a pump in the fuel tank. There's a mechanical lift pump on the end of the cam shaft, but only a level sensor in the tank itself.

Cheers,

Tom

As far as I'm aware, the TDI doesn't have a pump in the fuel tank. There's a mechanical lift pump on the end of the cam shaft, but only a level sensor in the tank itself.

Cheers,

Tom

That was a surprise! It is always referred to as a pump sender in general and it looks similar to one with a pump in it, but if you look at the official audi parts catalogue they do indeed call it just a fuel gauge sender !!!!

It also helps explain why thee is no noise from that "pump", I just thought it was a very quiet one!

You learn something new every day.

Steve B

Cheers,

Tom

Quote from Self-Study Programme 223,The 1.2l and 1.4l TDI engines:

Link in post #4

The fuel is drawn out of the fuel tank through the fuel filter by a mechanical fuel pump and pumpedalong the supply line in the cylinder head to the unit injector (on the 1.4l TDI engine, an electrical fuelpump pumps the fuel from the fuel tank to the mechanical fuel pump).

Quote from Self-Study Programme 223,The 1.2l and 1.4l TDI engines:

Link in post #4

The fuel is drawn out of the fuel tank through the fuel filter by a mechanical fuel pump and pumpedalong the supply line in the cylinder head to the unit injector (on the 1.4l TDI engine, an electrical fuelpump pumps the fuel from the fuel tank to the mechanical fuel pump).

Audi literature isn't always as accurate as we might ideally like; there are mistakes.

I've had a look on the wiring diagrams for the 1.4 TDI and cannot find any mention of an electric pump or associated relay and wiring. On the numerous occasions that I have stood beneath an A2 TDI, I have never seen any evidence of an electric pump. I have never heard an electric pump opperating. I have never heard of any issues with the 1.4 TDI being resolved by replacing the electric pump. My conclusion can only be that it doesn't exist.

Cheers,

Tom

You won't see it from underneath Tom as it will be buried inside the fuel tank. There's something that looks like a pump on the parts diagram but it's not labeled to confirm.

Simon.

You won't see it from underneath Tom as it will be buried inside the fuel tank.

True, though there'd be evidence of its existence: wiring, for instance. If you lift the carpet above the fuel tank, there's only wiring for the level sensor.

Cheers,

Tom

Audi technical data is rarely clear but I've compared the A2 petrol and diesel fuel tank assembly/ repair info and the 'petrol' tank clearly shows an electric fuel pump integrated with the level sensor, the 'diesel' tank does not.
It also looks like the electrical connector on the diesel tank is only 2 wire (gauge only) while the petrol tank connector has 4 (gauge and pump)

Tom's case gets my vote.

Anyone with a spare fuel tank kicking round who can take a look and to give the definitive answer

Cheers Spike

I also believe that Tom is right not Audi documentation. The Fuel pump 8Z0919183F in the diesel looks like this:audi_a2_2005_tank_givare(1).jpgaudi_a2_2005_tank_givare(2).jpgaudi_a2_2005_tank_givare(3).jpg

Its only the fuel level sensor.
icon7.png
8Z0919183F

Attachments

• audi_a2_2005_tank_givare(4).jpg
    audi_a2_2005_tank_givare(4).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 517
  • audi_a2_2005_tank_givare.jpg
    audi_a2_2005_tank_givare.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 614
Back