Audi A2 - Drainage on battery and buzzing from car when off!

WatfordA2

Hi all!

Audi A2 2003 1.4 Diesel

Firstly – first post here so thanks in advance for your time and advice. Owned the Audi for about 6 months now, enjoying it but a slight issue. Not hugely technically minded when it comes to cars so go easy on me!

I’m getting a buzzing from my Audi A2 even after I switch it off. Mostly seems to be coming from driver side back speaker although hard to completely place it. It’s also giving a drainage on the car which is running my battery down pretty fast if I haven’t driven in a few days.

Few things to note:
  1. My stereo also stays illuminated when the engine is switched off (So I take the face off to turn it off).
  2. Also, I’ve noticed my windows sometimes work when the car is turned off.
I’ve tried to find answers throughout other posts, but haven’t found any that exactly match up so apologies if this is a repeat. I’ve also taken it to a garage who got me to replace my ignition switch (which didn’t change anything). I’m wondering if the custom fitted stereo from previous owner (My brother) isn’t earthed and could be causing an issue?

Advice much appreciated!

I would say its something to do with your after market head unit,have you the original audi unit to reinstall as a test

pete

Hi
It would be a good start if you could get hold of an original unit to see if it helps,or just disconnect the aftermarket unit

pete

Last edited:
About the windows working with the ignition off: Yes if you turn the ignition off and leave the key in, the windows work for a few minutes or until a door is opened.
Also with the key out, if you hold down the lock button on the remote the windows wind up. Also works for unlock/opening.
I’d be really surprised if there was a link to your audio issues.

To check the battery drain issue you don’t need a replacement head unit, just take your old one out. Be really careful if the wiring has been bodged. It is entirely possible to start an electrical fire. For safety you could disconnect the battery first.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From my own experience - ditch the aftermarket head and buy a Concert or Chorus from someone here - the sound is infinitely better, the mystery battery drain on ours stopped immediately, the wiring is completely compatible and so on.

Thanks Robin..I'll see if I can get my hands on the existing unit - my brother may even still have it.

Failing that - is anyone able to suggest decent aftermarket heads that are compatible? Many thanks. (Again, please excuse my ignorance)

Seriously - just get a Concert II (CD radio), (or Chorus II - cassette radio) - if it's not got the code already, providing the serial number is still visible you can get one of the Russian Ebay sellers to send you a working code for less than a tenner. They might not be covered in chrome or flashing lights, but both of the Audi originals are a good solid unit and designed for the car and the speakers (and the wiring, so no need for aftermarket converter looms). Put something on "Wanted" - or have a look at some of the recent "parts" postings - something is bound to be out there at a price usefully less than anything on Ebay and more likely to be usable. Also - ask people like A2Steve and Sarge as they go through life-expired cars for parts and sometimes have a usable unit available.

Back