Audi A3 8V

putyourmittenson

Im going to look at an A3 8V tomorrow with the 1.6tdi engine. Anybody here have any experience with these? or the engine?

Not sure if its worth getting the 2 litre. In the family we've had the 8L and 8P previously with the 1.9 Diesel and they have been flawless.

Im going to look at an A3 8V tomorrow with the 1.6tdi engine. Anybody here have any experience with these? or the engine?

Not sure if its worth getting the 2 litre. In the family we've had the 8L and 8P previously with the 1.9 Diesel and they have been flawless.

I had a 2012 A1 with the 1.6 tdi engine, it was ok, but fuel economy was not as promised.

Supposedly 70 mpg combined, but even with careful driving I was luck to get 55. I then bought a Volvo V70 (the big estate) and that had the 1.6 diesel engine from a mini in it and I was getting 60MPG from that and it was a great engine, had the estate full to the brim of flatpack kitchen cabinets and yet it drove like it was not struggling at all.

So if you are not too worried about MPG the Audi 1.6 tdi isn't bad at all.

Steve B

We are currently part exchanging our 2009 vw Golf 1.6 tdi. We have had no problems with it over 3 years but please try and avoid short journeys. The DPF has tended to clog up if you only do around four miles to work in it. This manifests itself with a kind of exhaust fume smell in the cabin... not pleasant until you give it a long run.

Cheers
Dave.

Last edited:
DPF issues are not to much of a worry as the car will be well used and abused so seeking reliability over MPG. The A2 is the Eco car of the fleet, and the current A3 has been a workhorse. So hoping that the smaller 1.6engine will be up for it.

my mates wife just got a 2013 golf GT edition diesel and I have to say I am impressed with it, 2.0 engine so plenty of go and very good build quality, would consider that as a replacement for my A2 if it ever fails (I accept mpg would go down quite a bit though)

Have a look at a seat ibiza fr 2.0tdi great car, power + fuel eco

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Cheers for the advice guys. It was a TDI Ultra but Didn't go for it. A few to many issues with it including a small puddle in the left hand compartment in the boot, Seems a common problem with Audis as our current tow car the Q5 has the exact same issue and so have 2 others that i know of. Still on the search though.

Back