Audi AClueless

redrunner

Hi. I've got an A2 Storm from 2004 with 40K on the clock. 1.6 FSI. Had it for 14 years but lived abroad for some of that time, had kids etc. I lent the A2 to in-laws and have bought and sold plenty of cars in between. But I can't seem to part with the A2, which is back with me but off the road. I am not remotely mechanically minded. I managed to replace the battery last year (some pride and Houdini contortion to climb in the back); I take it up a farm track to keep it going. But today it just didn't start. Battery okay. Little bit of fuel. It doesn't even seem to turn over. The first thing I thought of was spark plugs. The second thing I thought of is that my romantic notion of my kids driving a modern classic in ten years time is a little foolhardy. So...

1. Anyone know any decent mechanics in the South Gloucs/Gloucs area that might come and look at an A2? It's not going anywhere
  2. Does the market generally warm to the FSIs or is the TDI the one people tend to want?
  3. Is it sparks?!
  4. Does the famed aluminium body make it worth much at a scrap merchant?

Don't really know if this is the kind of thing I should be asking on here. I know I am being a little vague... I suppose it's just evidence of the fact that for some reason, I don't want this amazing piece of engineering (neglected by me) to go. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dont consider scrapping

Such a low mileage example will sell if you choose that route

If it fails to crank but you have good battery voltage check your earth strap on the front near side chassis leg or bridge it with a jump lead while a second person gives the ignition a try could be that simple

Thank you, Weetank2. Do you mean clip a jump lead from another car to the earth strap? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

But today it just didn't start. Battery okay. Little bit of fuel. It doesn't even seem to turn over.

If it doesn't even turn over then spark plugs won't be the problem. It's most likely a simple electrical issue and any competent auto electrician should be able to give you a quick diagnosis.

Absolutely concur with the previous post. Do not scrap. Do not sell to a dismantler. A 40k A2 with what sounds like a trivial problem is worth a minimum of £2,000. Let's also assume that it isn't suffering from the usual aged&heavily used 1.6FSI problems with the flaps being stuck / broken plastic arm in the induction manifold - realistically, add at least another £500. Look at the number of cars out there with inflated prices on Autotrader or equivalent that have bits of tape over the warning light. Give your car a new battery, and a proper fluids and filters service and some TLC, and either start enjoying it again or sell it at a realistic price (for yourself looking at the considerable positives) to someone that will. I say that as someone who is mechanically not capable of looking after an FSi, but this sounds like a gem in the rough.

Thanks, Steve & Robin. I won't scrap it. I just need to get someone here to look at it. Taking it off the road seemed like a good idea at the time!

You say battery okay, but before you do anything else try a jump start with another vehicle. The battery may appear fine but starting takes a lot out of a battery and if it's borderline ....costs nothing to try.

Andy

You were tongue in cheek marvelling at your battery changing skills. Did you tighten the battery clamps properly? Worth checking.

it's also possible the fuel pump or its relay don't start, so go battery - earth points - fuel pump hum - and then see what happens in the engine bay.

- Bret

Thanks, guys. It’s been running well since battery change but mileage very minimal. Might need to upgrade from a Swiss Army knife by the sounds of it.

Back