Audi badge tape

No idea what the OEM one was, quite possibly something only sold to industry and not to the public. But I can recommend this stuff for that sort of application:

I reckon the Halfords stuff would work for something as light-duty as that, but what are you going to do with the rest of the roll? I used to use that but I found it didn't like anything with any tension/springiness that you needed to stick down. The 3M stuff grabs and holds much better making it more useful in general.

Yes, I've tried quite a few double-sided tapes and there's only one that is SO superior that you think it can't be true! That's 3M VHB . Make sure that the tape is branded .... The tape backing-side that you remove will have the 3M - VHB logo all along it. I've used it to stick number plates and Boy, are they secure!

David

Hi all quick update I’ve ordered 3M VHB 5952

And also I’ve ordered 3M press in place emblem tape

I’ll keep you updated on what’s the best to use just in any case anyone is in the same boat as me. Don’t know what tape to use for there Audi badge :)

You need to watch out on some well known online market retailers because some people are quite canny about saying "3M tape" - when they mean that the roll is 3m long, and when you read the small print it is a poor substitute - but easily mistaken. As David says above, the backing should have the branding on it.

I have recently restuck slightly detached ends of an Audi heated mirror using genuine 3M heat-resistant double-sided foam tape that I bought from Viking tapes online, who cut me a short roll of 12mm wide tape for just over 6 quid. Bloody brilliant stuff for the repair box. I only had a narrow gap to insert at the ends that were coming unstuck, so cut a couple of pieces about an inch long that I was able to insert to the gaps at each end of the mirror moulding held open by cocktail sticks with one non-stick side still in place. Once that sat down and had been allowed to key onto the surface by holding overnight with clothes-pegs, I then wedged the mirror open again and used watchmaker forceps (fine #1 needle ends) to grab the second non-stick piece and peel this off in the very narrow gap, then clamped the mirror back together overnight. Clipped onto the car the a couple of weeks ago and been used repeatedly with the heating without any movement (compared to cheap Ebay heated mirrors that went floppy after a single use 2 years ago).

They do have an Ebay site but I went direct through their website as it was easier to go through the range of tapes on offer and find the short roll option (they mostly deal with industrial quantities in significantly higher size and price points).

3M™ VHB™ GPH110 GF High Temperature Tape 19mm x 1.1mm x 3m
£6.58 GBP​
1​
£6.58 GBP​

Also got this in case of needing to secure trim or other external things as it was what they recommended for the job -

3M RP45 Waterproof Double Sided Tape 19mm x 3m x 1.1mm
£6.58 GBP​
1​
£6.58 GBP​

You need to watch out on some well known online market retailers because some people are quite canny about saying "3M tape" - when they mean that the roll is 3m long, and when you read the small print it is a poor substitute - but easily mistaken. As David says above, the backing should have the branding on it.

I have recently restuck slightly detached ends of an Audi heated mirror using genuine 3M heat-resistant double-sided foam tape that I bought from Viking tapes online, who cut me a short roll of 12mm wide tape for just over 6 quid. Bloody brilliant stuff for the repair box. I only had a narrow gap to insert at the ends that were coming unstuck, so cut a couple of pieces about an inch long that I was able to insert to the gaps at each end of the mirror moulding held open by cocktail sticks with one non-stick side still in place. Once that sat down and had been allowed to key onto the surface by holding overnight with clothes-pegs, I then wedged the mirror open again and used watchmaker forceps (fine #1 needle ends) to grab the second non-stick piece and peel this off in the very narrow gap, then clamped the mirror back together overnight. Clipped onto the car the a couple of weeks ago and been used repeatedly with the heating without any movement (compared to cheap Ebay heated mirrors that went floppy after a single use 2 years ago).

They do have an Ebay site but I went direct through their website as it was easier to go through the range of tapes on offer and find the short roll option (they mostly deal with industrial quantities in significantly higher size and price points).

3M™ VHB™ GPH110 GF High Temperature Tape 19mm x 1.1mm x 3m
£6.58 GBP​
1​
£6.58 GBP​
I’m lucky really as my Father owns a packaging business so I’m getting free samples of both tapes. And also it will be genuine 3M :);):D

Back