Audi book English translation.

I remember gathering lots of expressions of interest but it was never going to be enough to justify the costs of translation. I just wish I could remember more vocab from my time studying German up to A-level. The pictures are nice though :)

This was the update in the original thread that I posted:

During the meeting in Ingolstadt we could not convince them of the good idea to have the book translated. I am sorry.

Nevertheless, if you find a publisher who sees real market potential, and who would like to buy the license, I am more than happy to arrange a deal.

So unless anyone knows of a publisher who would be willing to discuss buying the license it is a no-go for the English version.

Hi, no sorry. We didn’t peruse it any further after that. I’m happy to check if I still have contact details id someone wants to discuss the licensing costs.

Also would need to know exactly what the licence was for. Could it be for the publication of the book et al or just for an English translation and then is it "eternal" or a single run?

I do not think you were as that is what we tried to obtain before. I was asking the conditions of the licence as no doubt it will depend on what is required "our" end. Perhaps not tying the owners or "us" into a deal that would not work.

Please read the original thread about the book.

For more background information and what has already been discussed.

Hi, no sorry. We didn’t peruse it any further after that. I’m happy to check if I still have contact details id someone wants to discuss the licensing costs.
Hi Vonnie, sorry to be a bother, my enthusiasm ran away with me. If there was anything other than a token payment for the licence it would knock the possibility into a cocked hat. Official translators charge around 13Cents a word and for 252 pages that would be prohibitive, but I was looking at asking students to do it as a project. Maybe Audi would allow this, maybe not, I’d be looking at a production run of 50-100 and to club members only. They may look on that more kindly. One thing that would potentially transform the translation costs is if Audi would give us the text in electronic form.
“Milestone and Cult Object“ sums up the A2 nicely. It would be so good to get the book in English!

I know it was a while ago but there was interest back then for 92 copies. How many are still interested from that group plus how many "new" interest who knows. I know Vonnie really did try BUT the world has changed so there may be more alternatives available now. Perhaps now is the time to approach whoever holds the copyright for the book with another proposal. Nothing would be different other than all text in English. Perhaps a paperback edition may be the way to go?

Not my ideal choice but a paid for download of a digital copy could be produced?

If the A2OC are prepared to underwrite the cost of getting the book professionally translated by committing to buying the full first print run at wholesale, then Audi Tradition may yet be interested. I doubt that any other option would be cost-effective.

300 books at £40 a copy (thinking out loud here) would require a £12,000 investment.

Sadly the Club doesn't have that sort of money to play with. Even at half the quantity or price, and either would be unlikely.

Sadly the Club doesn't have that sort of money to play with. Even at half the quantity or price, and either would be unlikely.
Maybe all interested could make a prepayment. I would do it. So for the Club there would be no financial burden, except of making the project more realistic.
Does anyone have a contact with Audi UK? Maybe this would also help.

The publisher estimated 3,000 copies to make it worth while!

Extract from an email back in 2018

As my colleague already told you we published the book in German only, and as the book is more or less handled by AUDI TRADITION (it’s a book which they are responsible for), I would have to talk to them first, if they might be interested in an English translation. But to be honest, the book has many words, meaning the translation cost would be immense and the print run would have to be 3000 at least.

Back