Auto headlights mod

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

While they are on the way I will post basic fitting instructions (some people bought theirs directly and so I am posting this early

NOTE
This is just for those people who want the simplest installation with no trimming or making holes for the new icon ring.

These instructions will get you up and running but the icons around the headlamp switch will be one step out (because there is no "Auto" icon on the A2 switch surround. But all it means is that to leave the car in "Auto" mode you just have to turn the switch to the sidelight position (straight up / 12 O'clock position).
You then just leave it at this position and never need to touch it or even look at it, so to me that is no problem.

If you want to install the new icon ring there is some delicate cutting involved, and I "don't do" delicate (if you know what I mean)

So the first step is to remove the old headlamp switch

To do this you turn the switch clockwise while pushing in, you will feel the switch move in a little.
This releases the catches that hold the switch and surround in place.
You can then just pull outwards and the whole unit comes out of the dash (but it can seem a bit tricky to keep pushing in while pulling it out !!! But it does come out without and problems)

Unplug the big connector on the back of the switch (you can see the openings in the side where the locating lugs are in this picture showing the plug removed)
View attachment 29334
Now you need to remove the actual headlamp switch from the fascia.
This needs a delicate touch. The switch is held in four places by very delicate tabs
You can see one here (at the very bottom of the black switch body, where the white plastic starts)
View attachment 29335View attachment 29336

You need to GENTLY insert a very thin screwdriver blade or similar) into the centre of that catch
View attachment 29337

and just ease it out enough to allow the main switch to ease out a little. Then repeat this with the other three catches. But don't force it out too much or the delicate plastic will break/split. (I quite often manage to split a couple but the way that the fascia is mounted means that the switch is still secure)
I normally release the first one slightly so that the switch moves slightly inward past the retaining catch then, while I am keeping the pressure on I release the next catch. When you have two released it starts to come out easily, release the third one (the fourth is not easy to get out but the switch will release without touching that.
View attachment 29338

The switch will now be loose but not free of the fascia. It looks like it won't come out of the fascia because the switch "arm" is longer than the hole in the fascia. But the trick is to hold the switch and turn it to the headlight on position and pull out (as you would to turn the fog lights on. That JUST gives you enough to get the switch out, but it is TIGHT (but it DOES come out) Try Pushing on the switch "arm" on the short end (not the end that overlaps the hole) and it just clears and will fall out. Put the old switch somewhere safe because you might want to revert to standard if you sell the car.

Fitting the new one is a reversal of this BUT it is even tighter, so you MUST remove the chrome trim from the new switch to give you enough room to get the switch through the hole in the fascia.

To remove the chrome trim you need a slim knife or thin screwdriver etc. and you prise it apart at the open ends (the trim is like a "U" shape and you need to open up the arms of that "U" to disconnect the catches. It takes quite a bit of pressure to get one side of the U to pop out, so be careful not to break it, but as long as you don't put too much force into it you should be fine. Once you have done one side of the "U" you can do the other and then slide it off the switch (being careful not to open up the "U" too much).
View attachment 29341View attachment 29339

You will now have to press the new switch arm through the hole in the fascia and as I say, it is a tight fit but it does go through Pull it to the "out" position (fogs) again, to make it easier to go through.

Once it is through you just turn the whole switch so that it lines up with the catches (an line up the flat portion of the switch with the flat portion of the fascia, gently pushing it in and the catches should then click into place. Now you can relax because you have done all of the hard work.

Uncoil the lignt sensor wire and slide it through the round tube in the dash that the switch slots into and make sure you can grab hold of the sensor and feed it through to the side trim of the driver's door. feed it through the side of the dash panel and pull off a portion of the door seal on the A pillar. you can then feed the wire up to the top of the A pillar pointing the sensor forwards and stick it into position. There are other places you could feed the sensor too, but this way needs no parts to be removed.

Reconnect the main plug in the back of the new switch and then slide the complete unit into the dash (pushing the centre of the switch In and turn to the right to release the catches) when it is fully home you can then turn the switch to the "OFF position and tidy up the door seal and sensor wire so that everything is hidden.
View attachment 29340
The instructions that are supplied with the switch show you the various switch positions you can turn to in set sequences to change any basic settings, but I just switched the lights off waited a few seconds and then moved the switch to the first position (sidelights) and everything worked as I wanted it to.

If you then want to change any settings refer to the instructions in the pack.

Can a Moderation please put a link on the "How To" Index section to this post please?

Thanks
Steve B

Attachments

• IMG_0432 (002).JPG
    IMG_0432 (002).JPG
    465.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 318