Auto Lights MOT fail

pandsnolan

Hi

I fitted the auto light switch which is a great and simple plug and play mod, looks really good in the silver bezel . Went for the MOT yesterday which failed because the orange position lamp does not light when rear fogs are selected . When front fogs are on the green position lamp does light ?. Luckily had the original switch and surround in the boot and swapped it over in a minute or so for a pass.
Saw there was some chat about this last year ....did anyone crack the problem ? saw there is another version of the switch which is Bluetooth configurable can the rear fog indication lamp be set to come on when selected with this version?
I am refitting the auto switch at the weekend and would like to reduce the delay time from the default set up of 5 seconds , mine came minus any instructions and the scanned versions on here are beyond my level of logic .... concerned if I start messing I will really screw up all of the default settings ..... has anyone decoded the instructions and could tell me how to do this please >

It's a strange one this and won't really help you but twice now they haven't pulled the come home light switch, I even asked about it and he shrugged his shoulders
I think it depends on who does the MOT, I take all the A2s in my family to the same station.

I found it depends who does the mot as you say.One place failed mine on this and the other one has past it the last two years,so will keep going there

Mine failed too. Similarly I had the original in the boot.

Interestingly a loose switch is also an advisory so anyone who has refitted without a securing method may get a mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the headlight blown warning work with autolights ?
It does not on mine, bought it like it and would prefer the original switch if this is caused by the mod.

ive not tried , a blow headlight bulb is a fairly rare occurrence and ive not had one go since the switch has been fitted to find out

Ive had an auto light switch fitted for a few years now. I’m currently using the Bluetooth version and can confirm that both types do allow the bulb blown light to come on if a bulb is blown.

I have often had the NS headlamp blow due to pot holes near my work. Better now that I have added rubber grommets to absorb the shock.

Not had any problems with MOT either. Seems like I have just been lucky with the 2 MOT stations I use.

Kind regards,

Tom

Or the chrome trim i fitted

Just to explain things a little more.. Under the new UK MOT requirements the rear fog "tell-tale" not working or missing is an automatic FAIL. I know some testers don't check it and / or realise that the switch design prevents the rear fogs being on all the time so tend to ignore the light. Unfortunately ALL the auto headlight conversion switches rear warning led does not function when the rear fog is on. For some strange reason they utilised it to indicate the switch is in programming mode only, and there is no way to connect it as the normal tell-tale. To avoid a fail, swap the switch back to the original audi one before the MOT. The awkward part is feeding the sensor cable back through, only to refit again after the MOT. If you have fully modified the fascia then you will need the complete switch and fascia to swap, if you just changed the switch in original fascia then just refit the switch.

Could one install a second LED next to the rear fog symbol? Surely wouldn't be too difficult to take a feed off the relevant wire from the connector.

The led is already there the issue is it is not connected to the rear fog light but instead illuminates (flashes) to indicate switch programming only. It would be great if we could reverse engineer the board and connect the led as normal. Would not matter if the cars lights temporarily flashed to indicate programming instead, but would need an electronic expert to point the way on that one......

Mine failed too. Similarly I had the original in the boot.

Interestingly a loose switch is also an advisory so anyone who has refitted without a securing method may get a mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of mine passed with auto lights, was at the same testing station though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The led is already there the issue is it is not connected to the rear fog light but instead illuminates (flashes) to indicate switch programming only. It would be great if we could reverse engineer the board and connect the led as normal. Would not matter if the cars lights temporarily flashed to indicate programming instead, but would need an electronic expert to point the way on that one......
Yes I understand the issue. What I meant was that, when switched into that position, one of the wires from the switch presumably goes live to power the rear fogs. This could be tapped into to power a separate LED. What I don't know is whether locating a second LED next to the rear fog symbol would be permissible.

Because the LED flashes in programming mode then I suspect it's already wired up but under the control of a microcontroller in the switch unit. Extracting, reverse engineering, modifying and reprogramming the firmware sounds like quite a challenge. Maybe some electronics wizard on here would be up for it though...?!

I was not bothered about the automatic switch but thought just a new switch would look so much better than mine so brought one off ebay for £9.89. Changed it over but just as the auto switch I don't get the rear for illumination lamp on.
As this new one looks better I would rather keep it but my question is, can I swap just the switch knob from the new to the old?

Thanks

Back