Back again! A2 05 1.4 petrol special edition

Mendes

Back again this time with a 2005 1.4 petrol special edition? - not sure if these wheels usually come with this spec I thought it was sport only?

I must say it lacks power in comparison to the tdi I had previously but unfortunately because of ULEZ I couldn’t get another tdi again so had to opt for the 1.4.
I went to see a 1.6 fsi and only after researching everyone was saying it’s not compatible with the new e10 fuel so this was it.. nail on a 1.4 ha!

It’s in fair condition 3 owners low miles-ish..
but not perfect, will need a clutch doing anyone can recommend a make to go for and know roughly how much this would cost?

Also drivers door locks with key but doesn’t on the button, rest of the car locks/unlocks with button just this drivers door, electrics all working on the door not sure if anyone’s experienced this before?

I managed to get 50mpg from Nuneaton to London with no cruise control which was slightly annoying so I was hoping to get cruise control fitted if anyone near south of london does this service? Don’t mind travelling a bit to get it done either!

I don’t think there’s much else major wrong with it, it seems pretty smooth the engine and suspension Altho it makes a slight rattle from the front cabin which I think it could be the heat shield on the Down pipe I’ll be investigating asap.

Here’s a photo
8021a4bc3a216f8103e37733fbe2e93d.jpg

Anyone refurbed these wheels in an anthracite grey that has photos on a black A2 pref? Was considering getting them done in that colour but wanted to see how it would look

All comments appreciated! Thanks

Also forgot to mention, the radio is a bit temperamental, every time I switch the car off and then restart it goes into safe mode and asks for the pin to get it started again anyone got any thoughts on this? I’m thinking it could be wiring?

Lastly no speakers on the back? I was quite shocked it’s only front speakers on a 2005 model anyone retro fitted rear speakers that’s got any sort of guide for wiring through door or so?

Help appreciated!

Hello again,

Ive just replied to your Cruise Control post, in light of you requiring both Cruise Control and Rear Speakers adding, I suggest you get in touch with Tom @timmus.

Kind regards,

Tom

Looks like a very nice car, well done for getting back into an A2, must be hard to ditch a tdi's torque for petrol but youll soon adapt im sure! Ive got those wheels, they are great, hope mine last a while as cant decide what else to put on but steels otherwise.

You are not far from Gary at B&F Autos in Hounslow, highly recommended on here, very experienced with A2s and reasonable labour rates. Give him a ring about the clutch work.

Which radio do you have?

Andy

the radio is a bit temperamental, every time I switch the car off and then restart it goes into safe mode and asks for the pin to get it started again
From what I understand, it's the car that's not remembering which radio it has in it, rather than the radio not remembering which car it's in. This sounds very much like a @timmus job to investigate, no-one else knows the electrics & electronics in these cars like he does. If you can put up with it until next Spring, I'm sure he will do another Southern residency at my place. If not, you'll need to take it to him in Lancaster. He'll be your man for the locking issue and cruise control as well.

There is something you can easily sort out yourself though. I always understood it was only the early base spec cars that had no rear speakers, from about 2002 they all had them in all four doors. You can use a small screwdriver to prise out a rear tweeter cover to confirm if the speaker is there or not. My suspicion is the separate rear amp under the driver's floor has failed - a rarity, but not the first I've heard of. Anyone with a breaker most likely has one of these that you can obtain, and it's simple to replace.

Hello again,

Ive just replied to your Cruise Control post, in light of you requiring both Cruise Control and Rear Speakers adding, I suggest you get in touch with Tom @timmus.

Kind regards,

Tom
awesome, thanks for your reply i'll get in touch with tom

You are not far from Gary at B&F Autos in Hounslow, highly recommended on here, very experienced with A2s and reasonable labour rates. Give him a ring about the clutch work.

Which radio do you have?

Andy
I will give them a call to ask, ive got the standard CD player i can take a photo later

From what I understand, it's the car that's not remembering which radio it has in it, rather than the radio not remembering which car it's in. This sounds very much like a @timmus job to investigate, no-one else knows the electrics & electronics in these cars like he does. If you can put up with it until next Spring, I'm sure he will do another Southern residency at my place. If not, you'll need to take it to him in Lancaster. He'll be your man for the locking issue and cruise control as well.

There is something you can easily sort out yourself though. I always understood it was only the early base spec cars that had no rear speakers, from about 2002 they all had them in all four doors. You can use a small screwdriver to prise out a rear tweeter cover to confirm if the speaker is there or not. My suspicion is the separate rear amp under the driver's floor has failed - a rarity, but not the first I've heard of. Anyone with a breaker most likely has one of these that you can obtain, and it's simple to replace.
it seems that, i think its a wiring issue as when i was on the motorway i hit a dip & it switched off, pressed the on button it came back on, super strange... Lancaster is about 5.5hrs from me so i would probably have to wait until spring or try to sort something out before then more locally, thanks though ill have to see another alternative for the mean time

also where under the drivers floor would it be i don't see any sort of compartment there?

Looks like a very nice car, well done for getting back into an A2, must be hard to ditch a tdi's torque for petrol but youll soon adapt im sure! Ive got those wheels, they are great, hope mine last a while as cant decide what else to put on but steels otherwise.
its been a long while since i last drove a tdi a2, this is mainly to get around town & when i want a more eco long drive.. i've also got a mk1 S3 which that's the toy to go fast in :cool:

it seems that, i think its a wiring issue as when i was on the motorway i hit a dip & it switched off, pressed the on button it came back on, super strange... Lancaster is about 5.5hrs from me so i would probably have to wait until spring or try to sort something out before then more locally, thanks though ill have to see another alternative for the mean time
Check the plugs on the back of the radio are fully pushed in. Do the lights on the radio illuminate when you turn the car's lights on?

Andy

Check the plugs on the back of the radio are fully pushed in. Do the lights on the radio illuminate when you turn the car's lights on?

Andy
no they don't, i would've thought they would? so that could be the issue, im trying to find the radio removal keys i had a set somewhere... otherwise ordering online & having to wait lol

also where under the drivers floor would it be i don't see any sort of compartment there?
Lift the rear of the carpe
no they don't, i would've thought they would? so that could be the issue, im trying to find the radio removal keys i had a set somewhere... otherwise ordering online & having to wait lol
The lack of lights is a symptom not an issue. Guessing the canbus connection has problems; not picking up the signal to turn the radio lights on and also why you have the SAFE mode at startup as the radio cannot read the VIN.

Andy

Last edited:
Under the carpet you will see a trapezoidal aluminium cover with three quarter turn catches. Remove cover and you will see this (unless you have Bose)....

1634312301956.jpeg

The rear amp is that small box at the the bottom left corner in the picture.

Andy

Edit. Just realised not a trapezium but a pentagon!

Last edited:
Lift the rear of the carpe

The lack of lights is a symptom not an issue. Guessing the canbus connection has problems; not picking up the signal to turn the radio lights on and also why you have the SAFE mode at startup as the radio cannot read the VIN.

Andy

So I had a fiddle.. managed to remove the radio, there was a connector unplugged.. (top connector) which has can bus & rear speakers.. rear speakers worked but then the radio switched off.. so I reckon something is wrong there, I wanted to try a different radio I reckon the radio is fu***

Back again this time with a 2005 1.4 petrol special edition? - not sure if these wheels usually come with this spec I thought it was sport only?

I must say it lacks power in comparison to the tdi I had previously but unfortunately because of ULEZ I couldn’t get another tdi again so had to opt for the 1.4.
I went to see a 1.6 fsi and only after researching everyone was saying it’s not compatible with the new e10 fuel so this was it.. nail on a 1.4 ha!

It’s in fair condition 3 owners low miles-ish..
but not perfect, will need a clutch doing anyone can recommend a make to go for and know roughly how much this would cost?

Also drivers door locks with key but doesn’t on the button, rest of the car locks/unlocks with button just this drivers door, electrics all working on the door not sure if anyone’s experienced this before?

I managed to get 50mpg from Nuneaton to London with no cruise control which was slightly annoying so I was hoping to get cruise control fitted if anyone near south of london does this service? Don’t mind travelling a bit to get it done either!

I don’t think there’s much else major wrong with it, it seems pretty smooth the engine and suspension Altho it makes a slight rattle from the front cabin which I think it could be the heat shield on the Down pipe I’ll be investigating asap.

Here’s a photo
8021a4bc3a216f8103e37733fbe2e93d.jpg

Anyone refurbed these wheels in an anthracite grey that has photos on a black A2 pref? Was considering getting them done in that colour but wanted to see how it would look

All comments appreciated! Thanks
Hi, just wondered what the ride is like with those wheels.

Back