Battery compartment

Emma

Hi, sorry but next question... What do your battery compartments look like? I seem to have a sponge and pack of wet wipes wedging mine in.
IMG_20200724_130233.jpg

And what's this hole for?
MVIMG_20200724_130327.jpg

Hole is for the warning triangle/first aid kit (generally available from our resident ethical breakers). I'm in the wrong A2 today to help with the battery question(using a photo) though it should be secured in place by the plastic sitting between it and your Bose subwoofer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_134241.jpg
    IMG_20200724_134241.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 192
Ooooh, you've got BOSE :D I don't know if the car was advertised as such, but if you've still got the original stereo headunit in it, this is a good thing ?
Most people's battery compartments have foam toolholders where your subwoofer is behind the battery. Your tools are under the driver's floor.

You do have the correct battery clamp/retaining wall between it and the subwoofer, but it looks like it's not fitted properly and is missing at least one bolt. The battery may also be the wrong size and too small to be held properly in that space? One or both of these reasons will be why it's (failing to be) held in place by an 'alternative' method. That might be a positive terminal cover for the battery that's been dropped down the hole between the clamp/retaining wall and the subwoofer. If you can fish it out, any remaining bolt underneath needs a 13mm socket on a long extension to remove for investigation.

I'm not sure what the sponge is doing. The subwoofer should be held firmly down to the floor by about half a dozen screws.

Last edited:
Ooooh, you've got BOSE :D I don't know if the car was advertised as such, but if you've still got the original stereo headunit in it, this is a good thing ?
Most people's battery compartments have foam toolholders where your subwoofer is behind the battery. Your tools are under the driver's floor. You do have the correct battery clamp/retaining wall between it and the subwoofer, but it looks like it's missing a bolt. The battery may also be the wrong size and too small to be held properly in that space? One or both of these reasons will be why it's (failing to be) held in place by an 'alternative' method. That might be a positive terminal cover for the battery that's been dropped down the hole between the clamp/retaining wall and the subwoofer. If you can fish it out, the remaining bolt underneath needs a 13mm socket on a long extension to remove for investigation.
Very sadly the previous owner replaced the stereo and threw it out, still sounds amazing and I can just stick a memory stick in so it's convenient, cd changer is still in the boot, if it's not integral if anyone wants it and can come and get it out they can have it. Got the terminal cover out.

Very sadly the previous owner replaced the stereo and threw it out, still sounds amazing and I can just stick a memory stick in so it's convenient, cd changer is still in the boot, if it's not integral if anyone wants it and can come and get it out they can have it. Got the terminal cover out.
No, you need to retain anything BOSE on your car. The whole system relies on those speakers and the sub, there is an amp under the driver's floor (underneath the toolkit). This system can't be easily replaced because the wiring via the underfloor amp is completely different from standard. OEM headunits can be coded to tell them that they're outputting to a BOSE amp, which lets BOSE provide the correct sound equalisation for the car. The best thing would be if Steve could sell you an OEM headunit. Then, you appear to be not too far away from Tom @timmus in Lancaster who can do everything necessary to reinstate it (and it will work with the rear CD changer). Tom can also wire in an AnyCar or XCarLink Bluetooth and memory card unit so you can still play MP3 but also stream from your phone and receive calls.

No, you need to retain anything BOSE on your car. The whole system relies on those speakers and the sub, there is an amp under the driver's floor (underneath the toolkit). This system can't be easily replaced because the wiring via the underfloor amp is completely different from standard. OEM headunits can be coded to tell them that they're outputting to a BOSE amp, which lets BOSE provide the correct sound equalisation for the car. The best thing would be if Steve could sell you an OEM headunit. Then, you appear to be not too far away from Tom @timmus in Lancaster who can do everything necessary to reinstate it (and it will work with the rear CD changer). Tom can also wire in an AnyCar or XCarLink Bluetooth and memory card unit so you can still play MP3 but also stream from your phone and receive calls.
That's good to know, thanks. Some saving up may be required.

The plastic that retains the battery has been placed behind the guide rails you can see visible just in front of the retainer. By taking it out ( unbolting thr 2 bolts ) slide the battery as far forward as it will go to engage the forward battery holding location then push the plastic down the rails until all the way down. Secure with the 2 bolts. Personally I would swap the cover over the negative of the battery onto the positive terminal. Also the battery vent tube does not appear in the picture, it may be under the wet wipes, this needs to be reconnected to the battery to the rear of the word Bosch on the battery. Your displaced wet wipes and sponge can be relocated into the empty compartment just to the right of the battery (sat nav location). Rectangular hole other side of the boot is as previously informed the location for the combined hazard triangle and first aid kit. Your other tools should be under the drivers false floor. Please return the stereo to an Audi original unit....Bose is awesome and a six cd changer just about the best you can have. You can get an aux in adapter to give bluetooth and hands free telephone quite cheap to fit the Audi head unit.

The plastic that retains the battery has been placed behind the guide rails you can see visible just in front of the retainer. By taking it out ( unbolting thr 2 bolts ) slide the battery as far forward as it will go to engage the forward battery holding location then push the plastic down the rails until all the way down. Secure with the 2 bolts. Personally I would swap the cover over the negative of the battery onto the positive terminal. Also the battery vent tube does not appear in the picture, it may be under the wet wipes, this needs to be reconnected to the battery to the rear of the word Bosch on the battery. Your displaced wet wipes and sponge can be relocated into the empty compartment just to the right of the battery (sat nav location). Rectangular hole other side of the boot is as previously informed the location for the combined hazard triangle and first aid kit. Your other tools should be under the drivers false floor. Please return the stereo to an Audi original unit....Bose is awesome and a six cd changer just about the best you can have. You can get an aux in adapter to give bluetooth and hands free telephone quite cheap to fit the Audi head unit.
Thank you ?

Hi Emma,

First welcome.

Several comments on your battery.

1. I suspect the wet wipes are to stop the battery sliding lengthwise, which indicates the battery is not clamped correctly.
You need to investigate the bolts that secure the clamp, they are at the base of the narrow void between the Bose kit and the battery compartment wall, I suspect one of the brass inserts that accept the securing bolts is turning, it should be captive, it is fixable if this turns out to be the case.

.2. I cannot see a breather tube.

3. The positive battery terminal should have an A2 specific cover.

4. The big negative lead is taking an unconventional route, it looks all squashed up.

image.jpeg

Andy

Some great expertise being shared on this thread.

@Emma, you’ve already been called out as potential first dibs on an original Audi Concert head unit in the marketplace section, at only £40 I suggest that this, along with the Bluetooth option suggested above by @Proghound in order to integrate your phone / Spotify etc. is by far the best way to go.

@timmus will be along in a minute to confirm, however I believe an aftermarket head unit cannot take advantage of the Bose sound system setup at all, meaning that as long as the complete Bose setup in your car remains otherwise untampered with, you should be very happy with the improvement in sound quality by doing this. It will also look original, something that I personally would prefer as these cars gracefully mellow into classic status.

Some great expertise being shared on this thread.

@Emma, you’ve already been called out as potential first dibs on an original Audi Concert head unit in the marketplace section, at only £40 I suggest that this, along with the Bluetooth option suggested above by @Proghound in order to integrate your phone / Spotify etc. is by far the best way to go.

@timmus will be along in a minute to confirm, however I believe an aftermarket head unit cannot take advantage of the Bose sound system setup at all, meaning that as long as the complete Bose setup in your car remains otherwise untampered with, you should be very happy with the improvement in sound quality by doing this. It will also look original, something that I personally would prefer as these cars gracefully mellow into classic status.
Yes please ? original sounds much better to me, it's such a lovely little car, hope you all get to see it soon.

Original looks much better too.
Before choosing your BT adaptor, think about what you want. Some do just BT, fine if everything you need is on the phone. Others support an SD card and a USB Thumb drive, and hands free calls.
An example of the "full house bundle" is the AnyCarLink 1080-B, on Amazon, around £75. I have two of these, A2 and TT. Do a bit of research first.

I believe aftermarket HU and working Bose is quite possible. There is no physical difference between o Bose and non Bose Concert HU, they are, however, coded differently, (using VCDS). The Bose amp only needs the line out (L&R) from the HU to work it's magic. If you have sound all round now, the Bose amp is working.
I don't have Bose, so can't advise in detail.
Onwards and upwards ?
Mac.

Have you got Bose? oh yeah I do!! ?

Attachments

• 1C105213-447E-41B1-9E1B-B0F5E533A5C3.jpeg
    1C105213-447E-41B1-9E1B-B0F5E533A5C3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 210
  • D9FDB992-7CFB-4DB1-B442-32C40DA80F14.jpeg
    D9FDB992-7CFB-4DB1-B442-32C40DA80F14.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
Back