Battery Drain

ChasinD1

Hello all,
My wifes A2 has recently had flat battery issues, its had a new alternator and battery in the last year. It'll go about 2-3 days without a run before it won't start. The central locking works depending on the cars mood, more often than not it choses not to be operational. I've had the neutral off the battery and tried to measure the current draw on the MA setting on the multimeter with doors closed/lights off etc and dont get a contsant reading, it fluctuates between 200 and 350MA. From what Ive read on here chances are its the CCU (2001 F model). Anyone any suggestions ? I see from previous threads there is a member called Lau in Germany who repairs them.

Thanks in Advance

Neil

Darren C

Admin Team
Welcome Neil.

Young Tom @timmus is our electrical wizard and may be along to offer some counsel in due course. Whilst not local to you, he is in the UK.

Good luck with a resolution.

Darren

Vic

You can do the same test with fuse box to identify power loses. Remove fuse, connect multimeter in its place. Do this with all the fuses.

Providence

A2OC Donor
I had this problem with my 2001 TDI. It turned out to be the CCCU. I sourced a second hand one from an auction site (search Audi A2 Comfort) and it cleared the problem. It was very easy to change. You just peel back the nearside carpet, remove the floor panel and replace it.

Andrew

A2OC Donor
Thanks everyone. If I replace the CCCU do I need to have the keys recoded ?
Not if the CCCU came with key(s), but you need to to swap the top half of the key(s) with your old key(s) to deal with the immobiliser and keep the physical key blade(s) to match your car's locks.

Yes if no keys with CCCU - you will need VCDS assuming compatibility.

Andy

oko

A2OC Donor
In my case, on my original 2002 AMF it was down to one of the window motor/controllers.
I think the drain was about 170mA and it did cause a small area of the CCU to be warm, so it was easy to assume it was down to the CCU.
I used my other A2's CCU to eliminate it; so it may be worth borrowing one to try?
Good luck
Martin

spike

In my case, on my original 2002 AMF it was down to one of the window motor/controllers.
I think the drain was about 170mA and it did cause a small area of the CCU to be warm, so it was easy to assume it was down to the CCU.
I used my other A2's CCU to eliminate it; so it may be worth borrowing one to try?
Good luck
Martin
The link in post 4 covers that very diagnostic procedure and fix for the window motor unit completed by Rob from WOM Automotive on a customers car

Cheers Spike