Battery recommendations

Adrian888

A2OC Donor
It 'sounds' as though my original almost 9 year old battery is getting towards the end of its life having seriously struggled to turn the engine yesterday after months of gradual deterioration. Any suggestions for replacement brand/deals?

Varta Silver - upgrade to the type 110 while you're at it. Physically slightly larger than the OE battery, it still easily fits in the space and is clamped in the same way with no mods needed. Don't be tempted to go the whole hog and get a type 019 as it won't fit!

Tayna batteries is the best bet - quick delivery, normally next day. Good value too at £67, that's £100 less than the OE battery from Audi and the cold cranking power is significantly more, as is the overall capacity.

Cheers,

Mike

Yep - as fitted to Tank about 3 years ago. Fantastic battery and it's actually cheaper now than when I bought it!

I can confirm that I've had no probs with my Varta 110 F18 Silver 85Ah in the two yrs its been in the car - as recommended by Mike. It was £99 when I bought it.
Russ

your's is only a 1.4 3 pot diesel! The S5 096 already betters the factory 096 battery (my petrol came factory loaded with the larger A2 tdi battery). The larger capacity will let you sit the car for longer but if you're snow'ed out, I'd still think about starting the car once in a while just to make sure it is fine and may give the battery a little charge.

I have a Bosh S5 in the pork and my 3.6L flat 6 starts every time, first time. My halfords calcium battery in the A2 is rather good though, it starts on first crank even in this cold weather and we only do short city drives.

Varta Silver - upgrade to the type 110 while you're at it. Physically slightly larger than the OE battery, it still easily fits in the space and is clamped in the same way with no mods needed. ...

Good one Mike, looks like great value, I've ordered it. After P&P etc it was around £75.

PS might be worth trying this promo code : FACEBOOK45 (don't know if it works since that was the code they give at the end of the ordering process as a bribe to 'like' them on facebook. It might be a one-shot code, or it might be multiple use, I have no way to tell. Nor do I know how much of a discount it gives since they didn't specify that).

Thanks mike and others. It has also occurred to me in might be an earthing problem which was referred to on here recently so might check that out if weather conditions allow!

Decided my battery needs replacement so I've just ordered the Varta Silver from Tayna Batteries - the promo code does work, chopped £2.25 off the price :)

Mine struggled to turn over this morning - been getting worse each day for the last week or so, taking a bit more chug to get going. I blame my heated seats :)

battery finally dead

It 'sounds' as though my original almost 9 year old battery is getting towards the end of its life having seriously struggled to turn the engine yesterday after months of gradual deterioration. Any suggestions for replacement brand/deals?

Will this work also with a 1.4 petrol?
After 15 years the original battery has suddenly died, I know - what luck! :D

Looking at your recommendation from another post:
https://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-110-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-F18-585-200-080-P7709.html
Looks nice and reasonable price.

I know when I had to temporarily swap the battery out a few years back due to an alternator fault, the foam surround needed to be man-handled out, and back again. A good deal of thumping required - am I going to run in to problems here? Should I stick to the smaller alternative that comes up from their directory?
https://www.tayna.co.uk/096-Enduroline-Car-Battery-700CCA-P8383.html

Many thanks all.

Ive just bought a 110 Varta battery and it fits perfectly in my Tdi which possibly needs more umf - not sure about a petrol, sorry.

To my 2004 TDi 90bhp A2 I fitted when purchased 12-months ago a: VARTA E44 / 096 SILVER DYNAMIC 12V HEAVY DUTY CAR BATTERY with 5 Year Warranty off eBay for £68.99 delivered

Only reason for fitting was that we needed the A2 for hospital duties and it was already winter so I do have the original battery (VARTA VA40 8Z0 915 105D) that appears to be in A1 condition, green indicator showing, if you, or anyone else, wants and would like to collect (Hednesford, Staffordshire)

Thanks for the feedback - I have ordered the Type 110, it seems to match the one already that is installed already in size and design - apart from being silver in colour.
I'm down in London, so thanks for the offer 45bvtc, but I think this will be easier :D

Will let you know how I get on!

So, performed the swap on Saturday - relatively easy all in all. The hardest part was removing the foam insert in front of the battery wall-clamp.
As before this had to be man-handled out of the way, a little coaxing with a screwdriver helped enormously.
In re-fillting everything, the reverse was also the case.

I plan to fit the plastic covers over the terminals, but need to do some minor surgery first to cut a hole in the side of the covers to allow the leads to fit.

I managed to 'enjoy' the EPC? Dashboard warning and restricted engine function for the first couple of miles - in fact this came and went twice, basically preventing the accelerator pedal from responding at all. Quite weird, but back to normal shortly afterward. Windows seem all ok having been re-set. The key didn't seem to require any re-coding.

An interesting aside was that the new battery has 'fixed' the car stereo, before the iPod feature and CD player refused to function, and I had been pondering a replacement. The change of battery reset the car, and the stereo, and all functions are working as before! Has anyone else experienced this side effect of a dying battery?

The 12v plug also seems to charge the TomTom better than before - at least less warnings have been sounded by the TomTom. I had presumed that power would have been through the alternator rather than the battery, but everything seems to point to the battery being rather more significant than I had previously taken it for granted for.

Note to self, a battery is not just for starting the car! ;)

Old battery:
IMG_5426.JPG

New battery:
IMG_5428.JPG

Last edited:
Back