Bespoke Audi A2 Armrest Bracket and Trim (A6 C5) Group Order

2work

Well Known Member
United-Kingdom
Evening all,

Some of you will remember @DuncanA2 revealing his beautiful looking A1 Armrest modification into his A2 late last year. Its is an A1 Armerst with a modified bracket to fit into the A2. Additionally it had some custom trim panels fabricated to look OEM in the A2 and cover the bracket. The posts start here. Here's a glimpse to wet your appetite though:

F364982B-EFB0-49C1-ABAB-7B737649863C.jpeg

9CA03E5B-9432-4703-87D1-073932B74C77.jpeg

E28CEDD5-60F1-48EC-9C72-6330DF41EB4D.jpeg

I'm sure you'll agree it really is very elegant. Although the above does look truly stunning, the actual A1 Armrest isn't a cheap item. All the costs are are explained on the link above and also the link within the link but I think it was over £300 all in.

Therefore you may remember me putting my name on the line towards the end of the initial Bespoke A2 Footrest venture where I stated I would see whats possible to further modify the A2 (A1) Armrest Bracket to accept a cheaper alternative Armrest. This was in the guise of the widely available A6 C5 Armrest, deals for these can be found on eBay for a tenth of what you might pass for the A1 Armrest.

This is what was purchased to use for testing purposes:

Part Number 4B0 864 207, not a perfect Twist colour match but for £15 I was happy.

89378110-78BD-447D-BEED-F22A4A6621F3.jpeg

Throughout the pause from completing the initial Footrest Group Order to a couple of months ago, I had been communicating with Graham @audifan about this Armrest project as he had started this by himself a few years ago but it never came to fruition. He made sure everything had been considered before I took this to the next level...

To get this journey fully started, armed with the assistance/input from Graham, @DuncanA2 sent me all the CAD Files for the bracket and trim items to be produced but they needed to be altered to suit the A6 Armrest. This is where I joined forces with Paul @depronman again, who is our resident expert in CAD File 'wizardry' and is also very entrepreneurial. I knew he would be able to grasp what was required and make this right for us all to finally have an affordable Bespoke A2 Armrest.

After Paul had the files for a few hours he managed to LASER cut the bracket files in 3mm Plywood to start the process to understand what was required to be adjusted to marry the bracket to the A6 Armrest.

Heres some pictures of the plywood bracket items that were glued together to work with:

DFA3E3B4-B71C-48AC-A88A-40970DD9C2CC.jpeg

Once the files were adapted to marry to the A6 Armrest, Paul milled out the revised bracket files in 3mm Aluminium as this was the obvious material to use in an A2.

7FCF76BB-DD21-41B4-8884-84868EDEA175.jpeg

F89A3301-3BD5-4FCC-A4DB-430791B60C78.jpeg

It looks absolutely brilliant but it turns out that the aluminium bracket wasn't strong enough and flexed a little so the material of choice is now 3mm Mild Steel. It will be much stronger and a little cheaper to get produced, bonus.

There are of course some draw backs to having an Armrest fitted to a RHD A2. Although the handbrake lever can be reached with the armrest down (although easily flipped up), it could be a little fiddly for the longer armed driver, this is due to there handbrake sitting slightly more closer to there (RHD) passenger seat. It shouldn't be a problem in a LHD A2, in my eyes its a small price to pay for the extra comfort and additional storage, which I now need after doing the QI Wireless Charger installation. As a team we have worked collaboratively on the bracket design to ensure it's the absolute the best it can be without compromise to the ergonomics and look. I fully understand it won't be for everyone which is fine.

How far have we got I hear you ask... The files are now complete and have already been transmitted to Cutting Technologies (who produced the Footrests). The price for the brackets come out at £6.75 each (including VAT) with a minimum order quantity of 27.

604EF134-43DB-4B21-9B13-99273FAAFACA.jpeg

All 27 brackets have been paid for up front by Paul and will all be delivered to him early next week. When he receives them he will Mig Weld the bracket items together followed by painting them to prevent any future chance of rust. He will do this all for £20.

This £20 cost is just a provisional price (bracket welded and painted) and not the total sum as the trim items are yet to be finalised. Unfortunately Paul is unable to start on the trim items until he receives the brackets as he will need the bracket fitted to the vehicle and the armrest fitted to the bracket for precise measurements before he brings his 3D Printer into play. I'm sure this won't be a massive increase but I know nothing of printer filament, this is Paul's department who will add comment as he progresses. The trim items may well be offered painted but this is still not confirmed due to there varying colours of trim and Volico not yet shipping to the UK, again Paul's department and he will advise in due course.

Full fitting instructions will be hosted on this thread when the time is right.

More details will follow from Paul next week when he starts on the trim items after welding up the brackets.

So whats on offer here:

1. £20 - The built (welded and painted) bracket which are in production right now.
2. £?? - Trim items produced and sent out as a complete package with the bracket and any fixings required.
3. £?? - The above items delivered to you.

Whats not on offer here:

An A6 C5 Armrest, this will have to be obtained by yourself but there are hundreds of these vehicles in breakers yards all over the country or you can keep a look out for a bargain on the usual auction website.

Out of the 27 brackets being delivered I can only assume that 5 will already have a name on them:

@2work x2 (250 & OEM)
@depronman x1
@audifan x2

So only 22 remaining.

To register interest all you need to do is respond to this thread with the following details:

Username - quantity required - Deliver or collect (UK Mainland)

Example:

@2work - x2 - Delivered UK Mainland

Your registered interest is just interest at this time and not complete commitment (but to register early as there aren't many on offer) as I fully understand that the final price for this is yet to be understood and revealed to you. This final price will be with you as soon as physically possible. Again, like all the projects I've been involved in, this is a non profit venture and I along with Paul and Graham will be paying for our brackets and trim items. You will pay what I pay!

Please do start registering your interest and I'll build the list which will be below in Post #2.

Kind regards,

Tom

Initial list which will no doubt evolve as we progress through this project. This will be updated as often as possible.

List as at 23:00 Fri 27 Aug:

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 23.13.05.png

As all 27 spoken for, this Group Order is now closed;

Reserve list has been updated:

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 23.16.13.png

The thought of a second run is now on hold due to the rising costs. Alternative options are being investigated to keep the costs to an absolute minimum.

Kind regards,

Tom

Ashley7715 - x2 - delivered mainland uk please.
Hi Ashley,

Wow that was quick, I’m still building the thread and adding pictures.

Thank you very much for the interest Sir. I’ll get you added to the list shortly or first thing tomorrow morning.

Edit: @ashley7715 added to the list

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom have been wanting an armrest since my first A2 so very pleased this work around has come to fruition.

Thanks Tom have been wanting an armrest since my first A2 so very pleased this work around has come to fruition.
Hi again Ashley,

We’re not quite there yet but it will certainly get to fruition.

I’m really excited about this project as it really is one of those items missing from the A2. Quite sure Audi would have added an Armrest if these wonderful cars remained in production a few more years.

Kind regards,

Tom

I have no need for an armrest in my A2, but sure as hell won’t miss out on another great piece of collaborative work. Well done to those involved, please put me down for one.

It should hopefully stop the kids climbing through from the back onto my front seats and is a cheaper option than a cage ?

Evening all,

Some of you will remember @DuncanA2 revealing his beautiful looking A1 Armrest modification into his A2 late last year. Its is an A1 Armerst with a modified bracket to fit into the A2. Additionally it had some custom trim panels fabricated to look OEM in the A2 and cover the bracket. The posts start here. Here's a glimpse to wet your appetite though:

View attachment 81882

View attachment 81883

View attachment 81884

I'm sure you'll agree it really is very elegant. Although the above does look truly stunning, the actual A1 Armrest isn't a cheap item. All the costs are are explained on the link above and also the link within the link but I think it was over £300 all in.

Therefore you may remember me putting my name on the line towards the end of the initial Bespoke A2 Footrest venture where I stated I would see whats possible to further modify the A2 (A1) Armrest Bracket to accept a cheaper alternative Armrest. This was in the guise of the widely available A6 C5 Armrest, deals for these can be found on eBay for a tenth of what you might pass for the A1 Armrest.

Part Number 4B0 864 207, not a perfect Twist colour match but for £15 I was happy.

View attachment 81892
Throughout the pause from completing the initial Footrest Group Order to a couple of months ago, I had been communicating with Graham @audifan about this Armrest project as he had started this by himself a few years ago but it never came to fruition. He made sure everything had been considered before I took this to the next level...

To get this journey fully started, armed with the assistance/input from Graham, @DuncanA2 sent me all the CAD Files for the bracket and trim items to be produced but they needed to be altered to suit the A6 Armrest. This is where I joined forces with Paul @depronman again, who is our resident expert in CAD File 'wizardry' and is also very entrepreneurial. I knew he would be able to grasp what was required and make this right for us all to finally have an affordable Bespoke A2 Armrest.

After Paul had the files for a few hours he managed to LASER cut the bracket files in 3mm Plywood to start the process to understand what was required to be adjusted to marry the bracket to the A6 Armrest.

Heres some pictures of the plywood bracket items that were glued together to work with:

View attachment 81891

Once the files were adapted to marry to the A6 Armrest, Paul milled out the revised bracket files in 3mm Aluminium as this was the obvious material to use in an A2.

View attachment 81895

View attachment 81896

It looks absolutely brilliant but it turns out that the aluminium bracket wasn't strong enough and flexed a little so the material of choice is now 3mm Mild Steel. It will be much stronger and a little cheaper to get produced, bonus.

There are of course some draw backs to having an Armrest fitted to a RHD A2. Although the handbrake lever can be reached with the armrest down (although easily flipped up), it could be a little fiddly for the longer armed driver, this is due to there handbrake sitting slightly more closer to there (RHD) passenger seat. It shouldn't be a problem in a LHD A2, in my eyes its a small price to pay for the extra comfort and additional storage, which I now need after doing the QI Wireless Charger installation. As a team we have worked collaboratively on the bracket design to ensure it's the absolute the best it can be without compromise to the ergonomics and look. I fully understand it won't be for everyone which is fine.

How far have we got I hear you ask... The files are now complete and have already been transmitted to Cutting Technologies (who produced the Footrests). The price for the brackets come out at £6.75 each (including VAT) with a minimum order quantity of 27.

View attachment 81890
All 27 brackets have been paid for up front by Paul and will all be delivered to him early next week. When he receives them he will Mig Weld the bracket items together followed by painting them to prevent any future chance of rust. He will do this all for £20.

This £20 cost is just a provisional price (bracket welded and painted) and not the total sum as the trim items are yet to be finalised. Unfortunately Paul is unable to start on the trim items until he receives the brackets as he will need the bracket fitted to the vehicle and the armrest fitted to the bracket for precise measurements before he brings his 3D Printer into play. I'm sure this won't be a massive increase but I know nothing of printer filament, this is Paul's department who will add comment as he progresses. The trim items may well be offered painted but this is still not confirmed due to there varying colours of trim and Volico not yet shipping to the UK, again Paul's department and he will advise in due course.

More details will follow from Paul next week when he starts on the trim items after welding up the brackets.

So whats on offer here:

1. £20 - The built (welded and painted) bracket which are in production right now.
2. £?? - Trim items produced and sent out as a complete package with the bracket and any fixings required.

Whats not on offer here:

An A6 C5 Armrest, this will have to be obtained by yourself but there are hundreds of these vehicles in breakers yards all over the country or you can keep a look out for a bargain on the usual auction website.

Out of the 27 brackets being delivered I can only assume that 4 will already have a name on them:

@2work x2 (250 & OEM)
@depronman x1
@audifan x1

So only 23 remaining.

To register interest all you need to do is respond to this thread with the following details:

Example:

Your registered interest is just interest at this time and not complete commitment (but to register early as there aren't many on offer) as I fully understand that the final price for this is yet to be understood and revealed to you. This final price will be with you as soon as physically possible. Again, like all the projects I've been involved in, this is a non profit venture and I along with Paul and Graham will be paying for our brackets and trim items. You will pay what I pay!

Please do start registering your interest and I'll build the list which will be below in Post #2.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi - can you add me to the list also please as I can’t resist a group buy
Cheers Dave

Hi Tom,

Can you please add me to the list.

@Buchanan DTR X 1 Delivered UK

I have fitted an A6 C5 armrest but my mahogany bracket isn't very strong and I've struggled to get the finish around the rear ashtray to look good.
I new this was potentially coming but I'm the impatient sort.

Many thanks

David

Last edited:
Evening all,

View attachment 81882

View attachment 81883

View attachment 81884

View attachment 81892

View attachment 81891

View attachment 81895

View attachment 81896

View attachment 81890

So whats on offer here:

Whats not on offer here:

Out of the 27 brackets being delivered I can only assume that 4 will already have a name on them:

@2work x2 (250 & OEM)
@depronman x1
@audifan x1

So only 23 remaining.

Example:

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi All, Well done! - 1x collection

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Evening all,

View attachment 81882

View attachment 81883

View attachment 81884

View attachment 81892

View attachment 81891

View attachment 81895

View attachment 81896

View attachment 81890

So whats on offer here:

Whats not on offer here:

@2work x2 (250 & OEM)
@depronman x1
@audifan x1

So only 23 remaining.

Example:

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi Tom,
Could you please add me to the list.
@kp 115 -x1- delivered Uk mainland.
Thanks
Keith.

Morning all,

I acknowledge all the above interest and will update the list in the next hour.

Thank you so much for waiting for this to happen and your interest.

Kind regards,

Tom

Audrey would be grateful for an armrest to add to the box of upgrades that have originated from your handiwork Tom!

Count me in x2 for now, as Akoya may get one too, depending on how easy it is to install and whether we end up keeping that car.

Morning all,

I'll continue to add more pictures to the reserved posts above today but work calls for now.

My thanks go out to those of you who have already registered your interest. This thread is only 8 hours old and over half of what's on offer is already spoken for. Utterly amazing!

You will not be disappointed with the outcome of this.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom I think you and Paul should consider increasing the batch size, I can see this one being just as popular as the footrest, if not more so - again depending on ease of installation

Morning David,

The minimum order total was around the £150 mark (151.74 minus VAT).

As shown below on my initial quote from Cut-Tec you’ll see that and double that only gave us a few more and dropped the price by £0.96 so we chose and paid for the smaller minimum order quantity at risk.

88F0EDC2-F666-4F1F-88D9-B0C0333FECF2.jpeg

Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course, perhaps we should have waited to order and started the thread first. I’ll remember that for my next project…. What could that possibly be!

That said, for the sake of 96p I can already see a second order lurking in the next month or 2.

27 is probably an easier size of work for Paul before he extends his workshop into the house which probably wouldn’t go down well.

Once this is complete and if Paul has the capacity then Group Order 2 might well materialise.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back