Bespoke Audi A2 Puddle Lights

2work

Well Known Member
United-Kingdom
Afternoon all,

After coming across the below thread a few years ago I have been wanting to attempt this enhancement myself:

I fully understand the challenge of getting the necessary wires through the A pillar weather seal but nothing is impossible I suppose. Adding the additional pins is easy enough. This could well be another modification I have a play with over the festive period after completing the red LED air vent wheels illumination.

My main concern of the currently available puddle lights is that they're of the earlier Audi Font and I prefer the later style font. I'd also like the puddle lights to be specific to the A2 opposed to the generic Audi options that are widely available. Here's what's available on good old eBay right now:

Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 14.39.30.png

Yes, earlier font and not specific to the A2, which is completely understandable as the A2 never left the production line with provision of a quick and easy installation. You know me though, I do like a challenge so have since been in contact with a seller who is almost complete with a revised design that I quickly put together.

This design was offered for the seller to work with:

Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 14.37.35.png

Which they said was too complicated so suggested this take on my proposal which should work just fine:

Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 14.38.02.png

Not a bad alternative and couldn't really argue as they simply couldn't get the colours correct with the 3D looking logo.

These should be ready for sale next week and cannot wait to have the a go at this.

Whilst I know this certainly isn't to everyones taste, its still a nice addition if adding a modern take on exterior lighting is your thing. It's amazing the lengths suppliers will go to to meet a customers needs, even if it's only going to result in a few sales. I'll provide a link once they're ready to hit the streets for the minority who may consider this as a nice touch/addition. I'll no doubt also create a pictorial guide as I progress through this one so its easier for others to follow in the future.

I'm starting to wind down for the festive season here now so if I don't catch you in conversation or online anytime next week then have a great Festive Season, however long or short your time off may be.

Kind regards,

Tom

This will be excellent! I love them already
Evening Ed,

Yes I’m quite excited to have these fitted to one of the fleet if not both, they’re cheap enough I suppose.

Fingers crossed I can squeeze the wires through the weather seal, must be possible as I believe others have managed it in the past. With them being LED then the current draw shouldn’t be of any concern on the ‘doors open circuit’ as the rest of the interior lighting is already uprated to LED.

Kind regards,

Tom

Afternoon all,

Just been notified by the seller that their offering of A2 Puddle Lights are now available:

4B518CEA-CD80-44E6-8427-31BEC38F66A6.jpeg

The price is slightly more than their original offerings due it to being a customer request/design, which is is fine.

These are of course aftermarket items and hopefully they’re of good quality. I’ve since ordered a pair and will report my finding as soon as they arrive and I find the time to Install them.

Kind regards,

Tom

I've had puddle lights fitted to Tank for a good 12 years or so now - not logo ones (I'm not paid by Audi to advertise for them, so wouldn't have 4 rings - I'd prefer a puddle of light that actually illuminates where I'm going to stand when getting in or out of the car), just Cree Star LEDs, fitted to the wing mirror shells and to the bottom of the door cards too.

The ones on the bottom of the door card are the important ones when getting out of the car, as the wing mirror lights don't light up the ground where you're going to step out into.

Fitting was pretty straight forward and I think (it's a long time ago now) I wired them to the same circuit as operates the interior lights when the doors open.

Is there any wiring installed or it it a Timmus job?
Afternoon Simon,

No existing wiring for this type of modification exists in any of the door to chassis connectors unfortunately. Have a read through the link contained within the first post. You’ll notice that even Tom @timmus suggests it’s a fairly straightforward modification which has been completed by many in the past. Of course you can always ask him to do the necessary work for you. If anyone reading this considers this to be too much of a tall order for them then I’d certainly recommend opening up dialogue with someone like other Tom.

Fitting was pretty straight forward and I think (it's a long time ago now) I wired them to the same circuit as operates the interior lights when the doors open.

Also Mike @Skipton01 in an earlier post similarly suggests it’s a pretty straightforward task. The decision of how to achieve what you’re after, should you proceed with such a modification is totally up to you.

I’m looking forward to receiving my items in the New Year to see how they look once fitted. This particular installation might have to take a back seat for now though whilst I tinker with getting Project PDK suitably ready for it first commute in early January.

Once I’ve found the time to complete myself, I will of course take a few pictures and provide an installation write up for the community to use.

Kind regards,

Tom

I've had puddle lights fitted to Tank for a good 12 years or so now - not logo ones (I'm not paid by Audi to advertise for them, so wouldn't have 4 rings - I'd prefer a puddle of light that actually illuminates where I'm going to stand when getting in or out of the car), just Cree Star LEDs, fitted to the wing mirror shells and to the bottom of the door cards too.

The ones on the bottom of the door card are the important ones when getting out of the car, as the wing mirror lights don't light up the ground where you're going to step out into.

Evening Mike,

Missed your reply earlier Sir, apologies. Yes I’m hoping to also tap into the same circuit so these of course only function when the doors are opened and the interior light’s illuminate.

Completely understand your thoughts on what’s projected being an advertisement, I must admit I was so so close to getting the A2OC logo put into production instead of the design you now see for sale; you know I like a little Club branding but thought it might be a bit too much on this occasion.

I’ll report back with images of how the look once fitted in the coming weeks.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks for the great research you have done for the rest of us ⭐👍
Morning Dieselfan,

No problems at all, my pleasure to assist the wider community. I must say though, this was the simplest venture I’ve taken on so far. Literally 5 minutes on Photoshop to show the seller what I was after and a handful of messages over the eBay messaging service,

I was hoping to strike a deal on price with the seller by putting a group order together but knowing it’s an after market item, which may not be as popular as previous group order offerings stopped me. Plus I’m yet to understand the quality of the product.

Should it all work out as planned and the installation is easy then I could well go back to the seller for a bulk order for some discount. If this is to happen then I don’t see me getting to it until February unfortunately.

You know I love a group order so I can inundate you all with a list.

Kind regards,

Tom

Afternoon all,

The bespoke Audi A2 puddle lights have arrived. Tested them in the garage and the really do look great. Cannot wait to have these fitted into the commuter:

9CEA0766-12B5-44A4-8878-60EA41844082.jpeg

AEDAE331-D8FD-4D3A-97AF-E453153A3463.jpeg

6975F996-3AFC-4564-994D-754D0D13BAA3.jpeg

Standard VAG looking connections

Not sure when I’ll get round to this specific installation though. Whilst these were purchased to fit into the door cards of Project OEM, I have since moved my attention to the new commuter; Project PDK. I have a few other items that I need to address before I continue with the puddle lights modification but it’ll happen in the next week or 2.

I’ll wire them up to a separate power source one evening this weekend along with sinking them into a door card so you can see the results of the 5 minute design projected onto the ground, fingers crossed you like the modern look. The looms won’t be fully/correctly installed until I have completed my immediate Project PDK enhancements.

Apologies for allowing a spontaneous acquisition of an A2 to get in the way of what I wanted to show you on this thread.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back