Best Audi Single Din Headunit

Hello,

I'll throw it to the masses.

Which is the best Audi single din headunit??

I would like to add BT and Aux for a tablet with sim card

Cheers

I want to make a suggestion. Forget about single DIN. There's a wealth of knowledge here on this Forum to enable you to either modify you single-DIN dash to Double DIN or to fit a Double DIN dash. I would say that otherwise you'll always regret not going that route. Double DIN units are SO much more useful offering Sat-nav and other video outputs. That's just my opinion and I've done both of those actions (modification AND complete dash replacement)

David

I understand that sat nav is almost a "must have" now, but having had several cars with built in sat nav, I now use a phone app (Waze for me) which is always up to date, and (so far) free. I've used it in UK and Europe, and it's very accurate. Why go to all that effort, to fit double din, to have to buy a CD every year, to get your maps to only a year old?
As always, just my opinion.
It would be a Concert II for me, plus AnyCarLink 1080-B for Bluetooth, hands free etc.
Mac.

I now use a phone app (Waze for me) which is always up to date, and (so far) free. I've used it in UK and Europe, and it's very accurate.
Mac.
Yes, I'll agree with that. I've got that facility, too. My Pioneer unit does full "mirroring", so you get the maps from the Iphone on the large screen. I also have video DVD playback and DBVT. Selection of DAB stations is so easy with the large touch screen. (and via the MFSW) It is safer to use with everything to hand (or finger!) :) Also, Pioneer updating of the maps is a free service and done with the Internet. I've got a few spare Audi units .... single DIN Chorus and Double DIN Synphony and RNS-E ....

David

I understand that sat nav is almost a "must have" now, but having had several cars with built in sat nav, I now use a phone app (Waze for me) which is always up to date, and (so far) free. I've used it in UK and Europe, and it's very accurate. Why go to all that effort, to fit double din, to have to buy a CD every year, to get your maps to only a year old?
It would be a Concert II for me, plus AnyCarLink 1080-B for Bluetooth, hands free etc.
Mac.

I'd go with this for the best "bang per buck" option.

I like your ideas David, but you're running into hundreds of pounds there, whereas that's not what the OP was originally asking for ;)

This worked for me:
Bluetooth FM Transmitter, TeckNet... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K8MDYW8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This device will transmit your phone to FM and sounds as clear as a CD, will also charge two devices, one of its USB slots is also MP3 compatible for thumb drives or SD cards, it will also show you your car battery voltage, all for £14!
even the RNSE seems old fashioned to me, all I need is BT, my phone does everything I need. The Audi single slot CD with rear speakers sounds as good as any standard fit audio system I have ever had.

Thanks everyone!

This is a round town car so its more for music and calls if we link the phone.
I don't particularly want to rip the dash to pieces for a unit
Yes, I'll agree with that. I've got that facility, too. My Pioneer unit does full "mirroring", so you get the maps from the Iphone on the large screen. I also have video DVD playback and DBVT. Selection of DAB stations is so easy with the large touch screen. (and via the MFSW) It is safer to use with everything to hand (or finger!) :) Also, Pioneer updating of the maps is a free service and done with the Internet. I've got a few spare Audi units .... single DIN Chorus and Double DIN Synphony and RNS-E ....

David

Dave send me a photo please of the Pioneer setup ?
My concern with the DAB is I have an OSS roof
I'll give it some consideration

Last edited:
Mac.

Hi Mac

Yeah agree I have a Golf GTE for work all I do is link my Samsung up to use Waze also.

Its the Waze to go !!

Do you use the above setup then? Can you link two devices 1 BT and 1 AUX
Can you adapt the Concert II to do that ?

Hi Mac

Yeah agree I have a Golf GTE for work all I do is link my Samsung up to use Waze also.

Its the Waze to go !!

Do you use the above setup then? Can you link two devices 1 BT and 1 AUX
Can you adapt the Concert II to do that ?
Not sure about the Aux Input, I have the hands free mic plugged in there. I use BT for everything.

*Edit: Hadn't realised (I only use BT) that there are two mini jack sockets, one for the hands free mic, and the other is Aux In, so you can have BT and cable Aux In.

I'll attach the AnyCarLink manual, have a read. Mac.

Attachments

• Anycar Interface Manual--AUG,2013.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,151
Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

This is a round town car so its more for music and calls if we link the phone.
I don't particularly want to rip the dash to pieces for a unit

Wifey has an X-Carlink unit in her A2, works perfectly for all those things, connects via BT to the phone and receives both music and directions if you are using something like Google Maps or Waze. Just need a small investment in a good windscreen phone holder and you're all set :) Max spend I reckon £100 :)

Anycarlink 1080-B + Yosh vent mount for under, £80.
No windscreen rings either!

IMG_20191028_121820.jpg

The mount is really good. It's a good idea to remove vent assy, and put a bit of glue. at the back of the mount to make sure it doesn't move when you remove the phone. Not essential though, just twist the phone as you pull it off. The magnet is pretty powerful!
Yosh do a similar one, that sticks to any surface, but I worry about long term adhesive marks on dash, so didn't go that way.

Mac.

Don't you end-up with a magnet/ring on the back of your Iphone that spoils the feel of it and adds to the mass? I like my Iphone to be as smooth and thin as possible .....

David

You do, yes. I'm an Android man myself, Nexus 5X. I also use a Reinke case, as I've been known to drop it!
The magnetic disc is on the case.
Feels fine to me.
A mag mount is practical, convenient, quick. These are overriding advantages in day to day use.

Mac.

audi concert 2 is the one ,in my opinion is still very clean in the look and with any car link,music will be endless...navigation is on my mobile phone with google maps when needed..

Okay Gents,

We already have a Concert head unit :D

So who is best for replacement buttons ??

I have already got a hard button climate in the shadows waiting

Cheers

Attachments

• 20191030_064615.jpg
    20191030_064615.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 353
I think it's not so much a case of Who's Best, as who's selling a decent one. To be honest, Concert stereos are relatively cheap to buy online, but obviously you will pay a premium for one with faultless buttons. I don't know if @timmus has any decent Concert stereos at the moment? Unfortunately all the ones I usually come up with are worn worse than yours.

Back