Bike rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SG

Hi there

I've had my new A2 for all of two weeks now and want to take it on a cycling holiday. Thing is, we went for the open sky and now the Audi dealers are telling me that it's not possible to get any kind of cycle rack for it (apparently you can get an Audi roof-mounted one if you don't have the Open Sky). I wanted a tailgate-mounted and see that there's a lovely picture of one on the Owners Club website and I know this has been discussed before when I was having a pre-ownership skulk round the site without leaving any message (ignorant, I know), but I can't find any trace of such discussion now. Halfords say the only way is to get a towbar fitted, then buy their towbar-mounted kit (£70) - sounds a bit of a pain.

Does anyone know of any other options? And if I've just failed to find it in the forum, sorry.

Thanks a lot
Shirley

(Black 1.4SE petrol, Open Sky, 3-spoke steering wheel (for the husband), ECC, DIS...)

Hi SG !

You can indeed get the tail-mounted cycle rack.
The parts number for the Audi cycle rack which you have seen
a picture of on this site is: 1F0 071 128A

Contact your local dealer, he can order this from Audi Germany.
Here in Norway we don't have it as a part of the "normal" options list, but we can order it on a customers request :)
It's listed as an option in the German Original Equipment Catalog.
This catalog can be ordered as part number: V71 5001 4000

Good Luck ! :)

BK

Soon the owner of a Silver 1.4 TDI S-Line (Sport in the UK) with Open Sky, ECC, APS, CruiseControl, Navigation Plus + TV + BOSE + CD changer, Sideguard, Mobile phone, El. rear windows, Fog lights, Winter Package, ISOFIX, Headlight washers, Space Floor +++++++

There you go!!!!!

Me thinks BK is going to be a very handy fella to know on this forum:D

Almost a 1.4SE in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Thanks, BK - I'll try my Audi dealer and see what they say about the rack. Though when I rang them this morning I could hear every question I asked being repeated to the rest of the dealership - and lots of background discussion along the lines of 'does that bit go on the roof or the back?' which didn't inspire confidence so perhaps I'll avoid the local one on this occasion.

Rob - I agree, I'm certainly expecting BK to be a major source of information on Open Sky, ECC, APS, CruiseControl, Navigation Plus + TV + BOSE + CD changer, Sideguard, Mobile phone, El. rear windows, Fog lights, Winter Package, ISOFIX, Headlight washers, Space Floor....

Any other suggestions would still be appreciated, I'll let you know how I get on with 1F0 071 128A

Cheers
Shirley

I have a tailgate mounted rack which I bought at Halfords. I haven't used it on the A2 yet, but I offered it up to it and it looked ok.

Can't remember the name, but it wasn't Halford's own make. It's mostly made from plastic. It has a tubular metal core on which 6 adjustable plastic arms are located. Two push against the top of the glass, two rest against the bumper/hatch dorr, and two stick out with clips to attach the bikes to. There are 6 straps which hold the thing onto the tailgate.

I'll try to remember to fit it this weekend and let you know how it goes (maybe even who makes it!)

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

Much as I would like to agree with BK (as I too am desperately hunting for a good, stable bike rack), I have had considerable difficulty in tracing said product. Although it exists on order lists and inventories in Germany, the Netherlands and a number of other states (although NOT in the UK), Audi dealers I have recently approached in Amsterdam, Essen, Berlin, Hamburg and Munich have all given me the same answer: it is not for actually sale at present owing to safety concerns - it appears to me that Audi may have designed a duff product that will not clear EU safety regulations, and is not actually on general release.

If anyone actually OWNS one of theses racks - rather than just being told that they can get one - I'd be very interested to hear.

Crawfster (UK)
Amulet Red 1.4 TDI SE, Open Sky (alas)

Hi again !

SG !

The correct parts number for the tailgate version is: 8Z0 071 104

1F0 071 128A is the roof mounted version.

Sorry for the mix-up [:I]

Talked to our support division at Audi Norway just now.
They will check with Audi Germany regarding the tailgate version of the bike rack. It is indeed remowed from the parts list pr. August 2002. This was new to me. He couldn't tell me why it was remowed though. Might be a result of new regulations within the EU regarding crash safety.

Watch this space for further info :)

I'll be working hard to try to find a solution on this as my intention was to use this bike rack on my own A2 as well.

BK

Soon the owner of a Silver 1.4 TDI S-Line (Sport in the UK) with Open Sky, ECC, APS, CruiseControl, Navigation Plus + TV + BOSE + CD changer, Sideguard, Mobile phone, El. rear windows, Fog lights, Winter Package, ISOFIX, Headlight washers, Space Floor +++++++

Right, there are two accessories listed by Audi for bicycle carriers. The part number 1F0 071 128 A is the roof bar adapter version and retails for £75 inc VAT. The hydraulic bike lift is the rear mount version, part number 4D0 071 128 D and this retails for £228 inc VAT. Hope this clears up things for UK members!

Regards, Mike

Ebony Black Pearl A2 TDI SE

Mike !

The 4D0 071 128 D is the bike lift system for the roof mounted
bicycle carrier 1F0 071 128 A.
This lifts the bike up on the roof without breaking a sweat :)
You can even get it in a Twin Pack for 2 roof mounted carriers, this has parts number 4D0 071 128 DD !
This has nothing to do with the tailgate mounted version though.

The tailgate mounted version is hinged to drop down while you
load the bikes and then lifts back up in place for driving "mode"
And the parts number for this tailgate version is indeed: 8Z0 071 104
(I now have the catalog in front of me, with pictures :))

BK

BK, it's a good job I haven't ordered these then, as my post was based on the part numbers from my dealer!

Cheers

Mike !

See my other post "A2 Original Equipment Catalog" and
order yourself your very own catalog.
Then you have total control, which your dealer
apparently don't have:)

BK

Soon the owner of a 2003 Silver 1.4 TDI S-Line (Sport in the UK) with Open Sky, ECC, APS, CruiseControl, Navigation Plus + TV + BOSE + CD changer, Sideguard, Mobile phone, El. rear windows, Fog lights, Winter Package, ISOFIX, Headlight washers, Space Floor +++++++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back