Blaupunkt DAB retrofit replacing concert 2

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
Hi, I couldn't find the right thread to answer this, I'm sure it's been asked before?

I have an 04 concert 2 which is dieing rapidly, I only get radio 2 sometimes and that's it. Probably the crazy aerial situation in the a2 but either way I want a dab unit and not have to stream from my data phone anymore.

I like the retro look blaupunkt units, so the question is with stock head unit working in place can I just connect the Madrid unit? I'm guessing I need some wiring adaptors?
Does anyone have experience of this please as my concert 2 is driving me mad.

Cheers

Hi, I couldn't find the right thread to answer this, I'm sure it's been asked before?

I have an 04 concert 2 which is dieing rapidly, I only get radio 2 sometimes and that's it. Probably the crazy aerial situation in the a2 but either way I want a dab unit and not have to stream from my data phone anymore.

I like the retro look blaupunkt units, so the question is with stock head unit working in place can I just connect the Madrid unit? I'm guessing I need some wiring adaptors?

Cheers
Surely you should resolve the antenna situation before spending £90 ish the Madrid? DAB can still be a bit iffy in places. You can have as many digital stations as you like by adding a Bluetooth adapter to the Concert/Chorus, and streaming from the phone. With the antenna sorted, FM will supply most stations anyway.
Mac.

Surely you should resolve the antenna situation before spending £90 ish the Madrid? DAB can still be a bit iffy in places. You can have as many digital stations as you like by adding a Bluetooth adapter to the Concert/Chorus, and streaming from the phone. With the antenna sorted, FM will supply most stations anyway.
Mac.
HI, I do have the bluemusic streamer but as I said, i dont like using my data for radio all the time (2 hours a day driving), and i ususally listen to talksport which is DAB only, or BBC three etc.

What is the solution to the FM aerial issue? May do that in the interim..

HI, I do have the bluemusic streamer but as I said, i dont like using my data for radio all the time (2 hours a day driving), and i ususally listen to talksport which is DAB only, or BBC three etc.

First check the unit in the Diversity unit in the boot.

AS Ed has said, check out the Diversity unit, it takes the signal from the four antennas, and takes the highest signal to the radio. If you have poor signal all the time, it could be the output of the Diversity. Check all connections to the Diversity, (J515 in attached schematic). Check it's nice and dry in there too. Power for the unit comes from the head unit, via the coax antenna cable, so check all is well behind the radio as well.
Here's the schematic, it'll help identify the connections.
Mac.
Screenshot 2022-11-23 11.22.17.png

Hi, ive checked the unit, bone dry. The unit is the second one Ive tried and it makes no difference to the signal at all. So at a loss now as to why the aerials dont work..maybe its teh head unit or something. I have buthered any wires and only taken head unit out once, it worked fine for ages after too. Very frustrating and A2 like to have 4 aerials.

I'd be looking for assistance from @timmus on this - get the radio properly sorted.
Hi - Bit tricky to get to him being in bristol/lancashire, but as the jobs build up it may soon be worth a trip. However I just wanted to know has anyone fit a blaupunkt successfully and what was required in fomr of adaptors. I msut have fit 20 stereos over the years but never had so much to consider as with the A2. I have the adaptors for a pioneer but dont really like their headunits. They dont look right in the dash really.

Hi, ive checked the unit, bone dry. The unit is the second one Ive tried and it makes no difference to the signal at all. So at a loss now as to why the aerials dont work..maybe its teh head unit or something. I have buthered any wires and only taken head unit out once, it worked fine for ages after too. Very frustrating and A2 like to have 4 aerials.
Sounds like the coax cable/connectors from the radio to the Diversity.
To check the radio, get an aerial coax connector, and fit a length of wire to the centre pin, to act as an aerial.
Take radio out but leave all connections, except the aerial connected, then plug your jury rigged aerial in. Switch on and see if it's the same, or better.
Mac.

Sounds like the coax cable/connectors from the radio to the Diversity.
To check the radio, get an aerial coax connector, and fit a length of wire to the centre pin, to act as an aerial.
Take radio out but leave all connections, except the aerial connected, then plug your jury rigged aerial in. Switch on and see if it's the same, or better.
Mac.
Good idea I try this thank you

Good idea I try this thank you
Also, check with a multimeter, at the Diversity end of the coax from the radio, radio on, plug out of the Diversity, should measure 12 volts between centre pin (+) and outer (-). That’s the power from the radio to the Diversity. Take care not to short the inner and outer. But of insulating tape on the pos meter lead, so just the tip is bare.
Mac.

Cheers
as an aside, that blaupunkt would look really nice in the car. ive got a sony aftermarket in mine which - whilst very practical - looks dreadful!

Hi ,
Just letting you know that I had a similar issue and when I inspected the diversity circuit board - it was bone dry but there was some evidence of corrosion on the board i.e. it looked a bit furry just in one place about the size of a penny.

Hi ,
Just letting you know that I had a similar issue and when I inspected the diversity circuit board - it was bone dry but there was some evidence of corrosion on the board i.e. it looked a bit furry just in one place about the size of a penny.
Hi, thanks for the info, so how did you cure it?

Hi, thanks for the info, so how did you cure it?
I gave it a gentle spot clean around the affected area with a toothbrush and some sodium bicarbonate and vinegar, rinsed off the circuit board and left it to dry before refitting. To my amazement the radio reception sprung back into life!

If you see any signs of corrosion on the diversity board it's definitely worth a try.

Back