Bluetooth drop out

Redtom

A2OC Donor
Recently fitted telephone module to RNS-E mk2 after a while it will stop being connected.
The RNS-E MK2 from a Seat Leon and the bluetooth module HW 8P0862335S SW 8P062335AA.
Coding is 321757
RNS-E sw 0270 hw H07.
I've tried two looms and two bluetoth modules same result.

Recently fitted telephone module to RNS-E mk2 after a while it will stop being connected.
The RNS-E MK2 from a Seat Leon and the bluetooth module HW 8P0862335S SW 8P062335AA.
Coding is 321757
RNS-E sw 0270 hw H07.
I've tried two looms and two bluetoth modules same result.
Evening,

That soft coding looks incorrect to me. Give me half hour and I’ll come back to you.

EDIT: Do you have Bose, AMI or MFSW?

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Evening again,

Whilst I await to understand what additional infotainment options you might have; here are a couple of links direct from Ross Tech which will help out.

Audi A3 Telephone Preparation

Audi A3 RNS-E Coding Options

The coding you show above doesn’t look to make sense, think it’s set up as an 4, does it does shut down when you remove the key from the ignition. Have you got a copy of a recent scan so you can show the results of Channel 17, 37 and 77. Do you have full DIS?

Below is how I have coded my RNS-E PU (Seat Exeo Media System E) and Bluetooth Telephone module. Note I haven’t show channel 17, if you have full DIS then this will also need amending to show the track name, speed display options and telephone contacts.

RNS-E PU:
6B5C4BC4-D0FB-48E3-914B-61541AAC37DA.jpeg

My RNS-E soft coding is for having Rear PDC, Bose, AMI and MFSW.

Bluetooth Telephone Module, note I have the H revision:
D90F9D3B-59BC-4FCA-AFA6-18B150C5111C.jpeg

My Telephone module is set up for having a MFSW.

If you’re able to let me known what other options you have then I will be able to give the code that will work in your A2’s infotainment environment.

Kind regards,

Tom

Afternoon,

I managed to see your RNS-E coding before you removed your post.

Your RNS-E Mk1 looks to be coded ok. Do you have the track names and did you see the caller ID/directory along the top row of text on your full DIS.

I see that Channel 77 displayed no faults but no coding was visible.

I’ll wait to assist until you re-show scan results.

By looks of it though, your RNS-E is a Mk1 and it is coded fine. The issue might just be with the BT Telephone coding.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi,

On the top of the DIS I get track title and source ( SD 2 ) also it is a MK2 it has a 3d map .

Hello again,

When you’re able to get the BT Telephone module to communicate with VCDS try this coding:

0010802 if you have the factory style MFSW without thumb rollers:
7BD6EF2A-8154-403F-9731-9F2A8EECDC17.jpg

0011802 if you have a MFSW with the thumbs rollers:
B3D56549-7C60-4D17-A940-27BAE9940F2E.jpg

Explained in Bold.

Coding

• 0?xxxxx: Brand
    • 0 = Audi
    • 1 = Seat
  • 0x?xxxx: Functions
    • 0 = Basic (for RNS-E basic/Radio)
    • 1 = Comfort (for RNS-E high/RNS-Low)
  • 0xx?xxx: Steering Wheel
    • 0 = No Multi-Function OR Standard Steering Wheel (Old Style without Menu Thumb Wheels)
    • 1 = Modular Steering Wheel (New Style with Menu Thumb Wheels)
  • 0xxx?xx: Installation List
    • 1 = Diagnostics via CAN
    • 2 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Diagnostics via CAN
    • 3 = Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN
    • 4 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN
    • 5 = Diagnostics via K-Line
    • 6 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Diagnostics via K-Line
    • 7 = Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line
    • 8 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line
  • 0xxxx?x: Language (Voice Control)
    • 0 = Voice Control OFF OR via external Device (e.g. RNS-E)
    • 1 = German
    • 2 = English (UK)
    • 3 = French
    • 4 = Italian
    • 5 = Spanish
    • 6 = Czech
    • 7 = English (US)
    • 8 = French (CA)
    • 9 = Speaker dependent (Voice Commands inactive, Acoustic Name Selection active)
  • 0xxxxx?: Language (Display)
    • 0 = No Display
    • 1 = German
    • 2 = English (UK)
    • 3 = French
    • 4 = Italian
    • 5 = Spanish
    • 6 = Czech
    • 7 = English (US)
    • 8 = French (CA)
Hope this helps you out.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi,

On the top of the DIS I get track title and source ( SD 2 ) also it is a MK2 it has a 3d map .
Perfect,

You can also get the name of the caller/person you’re calling to display in the very same area as the track name. A small tweak with VCDS can solve this.

Having seen your scan results I am certain that you have a Mk1 RNS-E. The part number of yours is 4B0 035 192 T.

Have a look here (Post# 207 of my OEM Thread) to see how else you can tell whether or not you have a RNS-E (Mk1) or a RNS-E PU (Mk2).

Kind regards,

Tom

Can read this
Afternoon,

Its very difficult to assist you as I am unable to see what coding is entered on the BT Telephone Module. This could be because the PnP Harness you have is at fault or that the S Revision isn't compatible. My gut feeling here is that its the PnP Harness as I'm sure someone else has fitted the later S Revision without issue.

Please do check all connections and try to get coding from controller channel 77.

Can I ask that you have actually had this working as I know if the microphone isn't correctly wired in it can cause connection issues. If you have managed to use this for a hands free call then the microphone should be wired in correctly.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hello,

I can make hands free calls, when it is working. The DIS at the top just reads phone.
Also here is a screen shot of the unit, with the bluetooth module connected still can not access channel 77

Attachments

• 20210430_175703.jpg
    20210430_175703.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 260
Evening,

Apologies for the delayed, been a busy evening here.

Now Im really confused regards which RNS-E you have.

This from your scan:
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 19.48.08.png

The part number (4B0 035 192 T), component name (RNS-E HIGH EU) and firmware number (0690) point at this being a RNS-E Mk1. The picture in the above post shows its a Mk2.

A Mk2 RNS-E would have a part number ending in 193 (or if from a Seat it might be 3R0 035 192), the component name would be RNS-E PU EU and the firmware iteration would be 270 as you stated in your first post. Is this scan result from a different vehicle or from a time when you have a different RNS-E fitted. Do you know if this particular head unit has had any internal components changed.

Whatever the answer is, the coding that you have shown on the scan result is correct for what you have fitted in your A2. Can you confirm where you got the coding of 321757 from in your first post as this is not present in the scan result.

To get the caller ID displayed on the top line of your DIS you need to amend the figure in Channel 62 of Instruments. Change the stored figure to 7.

From memory this is broken down as: +1 = default setting, +2 = telephone/caller ID and +4 = Nav display in DIS. I'm guessing that your stored figure will be 5 so just add the 2 to it and save it as 7.

The above coding in Post #7 along with the amended figure within instruments should have this fully working.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

Also here is a screen shot of the unit, with the bluetooth module connected still can not access channel 77
Morning,

The picture you added doesn’t show a BT Telephone Module connected. What’s shown is the sources available on the MEDIA button. The A3 BT Module is just for hands free calling and not for streaming, you’ll need an AMI for that.

Try to add a picture of what is displayed when you press the TEL button.

Kind regards,

Tom

My mistake I've used the wrong log as I have two head units.
Here is the correct log

Tom

Attachments

• 20210501_065506.jpg
    20210501_065506.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for clarifying,

It was very confusing from what you was explaining to what you was showing in images.

As I have been trying to work out the issue with the wrong VCDS log file, can you now add the results of Module 77 from this correct scan.

You yes do have a RNS-E Mk2, exactly the same as the unit I’m running in Project OEM.

Change you RNS-E soft coding similar to what mine is using the link I have added in Post #3, then and all should start to sync. Note I have an AMI and Rear PDC so omit these options if you don’t have them.

Once you’ve corrected the soft coding please run another scan to see if Control Module 77 is picked up.

Everything you need should now be within this thread. Let me know if you have any issue once the head unit is correctly coded.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi,

Tried again today to access telephone module 77 ,still no joy.
Have fault code 01317 in navigation. Is this because of incorrect coding?
Would that affect control module 77.

Thanks

Tom

Afternoon Tom,

The fault code number indicates it’s an issue with the cluster and not within navigation. Did you change anything within your instrument coding. You should have only changed the stored figure in channel 62.

Can you share what changes you have made to your RNS-E coding.

A copy of the scan displayed would be helpful.

The only thing, from the top of my head that can cause a working BT Tel module to not function is the microphone incorrectly connected (if there is no other issue with the harness) but you have already stated that it has worked fine in the past.

Maybe the fault is within your PnP harness or the the Module itself.

Can I ask who fitted the RNS-E and who supplied the PnP harness for the BT Tel Module.

I’m not that far from you and happy to assist by testing your set up in my A2 and vice versa. Sure we’d get to the bottom of it quick enough.

If you’re planning any further retrofits in the near future; can this wait until you can get booked in with another Tom @timmus who will also have this sorted in no time.

Kind regards,

Another Tom

Hi,
The only code I have changed is channel 62 ( 5 to 7)

I'm going to try the MK 1 and see if the telephone will work with that.
Doing 2 upgrades at once has made life difficult.

Tom

Hi Tom,

So your RNS-E PU is still set up as:

Explained below in Bold

Coding

0?xxxxx: Model
  • 1 = Lamborghini
  • 2 = Audi A3 (8P)
  • 3 = Audi A4 (8E)
  • 4 = Audi A4 Cabriolet (8H)
  • 5 = Audi A6 (4B)
  • 6 = Audi TT (8J)
  • 7 = Audi R8 (42)
  • 0x?xxxx: Treble Speaker Diagnosis / Optical Parking Aid
    • +1 = Front Treble Speaker Diagnosis inactive
    • +2 = Optical Parking Aid installed/active
  • 0xx?xxx: Sound Characteristic
    • 0 = Sound Characteristic linear
    • 1 = Audi A4 (8E)
    • 2 = Audi A6 (4B)
    • 3 = Audi A4 Cabriolet (8H)
    • 4 = Audi TT (8J)
    • 5 = Audi A3 (8P)
    • 9 = Sound System
  • 0xxx?xx: Telephone Preparation
    • 1 = Telephone Preparation NOT installed
    • 2 = Telephone Preparation without Comfort Functionality
    • 3 = Telephone Preparation (Aftermarket Retrofit)
    • 4 = Base Plate (Nokia - Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
    • 5 = Telematic Europa (Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
    • 6 = Telephone Preparation for North American Region (NAR)
    • 7 = Telephone Preparation with Comfort Functionality
  • 0xxxx?x: Equipment I
    • +1 = Standard/Basic Value - Add to the Sum of Options below
    • +1 = Audi Music Interface (AMI/PR-UF7) installed
    • +2 = Satellite Radio (SIRIUS/XM) installed
    • +4 = Analog Input (AUX/PR-UF0/UF1/UF2) installed
  • 0xxxxx?: Equipment II
    • +1 = Standard/Basic Value - Add to the Sum of Options below
    • +1 = TV-Tuner (PR-QV1/QV9) installed
    • +2 = CD-Changer or iPod/USB-Interface (PR-7A2/7A5/UF1/UF2) installed
    • +4 = Multi-Function-Steering Wheel (MFSW) installed
Can you confirm that you have all the above options in bold?

As you have MFSW (thumbs roller type?), Rear PDC and the boot mounted CD Changer by the looks of it, could you try to code it an an A6. I know this isn't really necessary as A4 coding should work but its worth a try.

Try 0532717

The RNS-E coding shouldn't have an impact on VCDS finding the BT Tel module though. Can you remember what coding you applied to said BT Tel Module?

If VCDS continues to struggle to pick up anything in Control Module 77 then it has to be either the BT Tel Module or the PnP harness. Can you share where you purchased the harness form as I know of 2 different eBay sellers who make them ever so slightly different, although it should still be found by VCDS.

You're more than welcome to pop over for an hour whilst we swap items over to diagnose where the problems might be.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi,

The code I have used 0512727.
I have not managed to code the telephone module yet, as unable to find with VCDS.

Why do you have a 3 where I have a 1. Also I do not have PDC.

Tom

Back