Bolting up drive shaft to gearbox

Edwrai

I’m trying to bolt my driveshafts back onto the gearbox and I’m failing terribly is there a trick to this I can’t even seem to get one bolt in to tighten it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i put mine back on I put all the clips and bolts though the holes 1st and use extension on it they are deep, have you put hub on your suspension leg yet!?

You're doing gearbox refurb work? Or you're trying to mount gearbox back to the engine, in which case my post might be useful in diagnosing part of forums.

I have put a new gearbox in but I can’t get the driveshaft to bolt up it just doesn’t seem possible to mate up to get the bolts in. It’s still attached to the hub

I've done my tdi 90 so not 100% on what it looks like on yours if it is petrol/tdi75 but the flywheel had to go in a specific way to align - can have a look after work what it looks like on schematic - if you don't have an engine lift I'd say you'll need to jack the passenger side higher than driver side to mate the engine to gearbox as otherwise engine is at an angle I wasn't able to get on a jack for box to slot in with the drive shaft.

In mine the flywheel bolts onto a sort of hub on engine (kind of how the wheels go on the hub on the car) and bolted on, then need to ensure the flywheel and engine are lined up (alignment tool I've got a metal stick type thing but it was aligned alright enough when I was putting it back together really)?

When angle was right it just went on like a glove with a little wiggle I was using an engine jack though.

I've done my tdi 90 so not 100% on what it looks like on yours if it is petrol/tdi75 but the flywheel had to go in a specific way to align - can have a look after work what it looks like on schematic - if you don't have an engine lift I'd say you'll need to jack the passenger side higher than driver side to mate the engine to gearbox as otherwise engine is at an angle I wasn't able to get on a jack for box to slot in with the drive shaft.

In mine the flywheel bolts onto a sort of hub on engine (kind of how the wheels go on the hub on the car) and bolted on, then need to ensure the flywheel and engine are lined up (alignment tool I've got a metal stick type thing but it was aligned alright enough when I was putting it back together really)?

When angle was right it just went on like a glove with a little wiggle I was using an engine jack though.

My gearbox is in! It’s the driveshaft that are driving me mad

My gearbox is in! It’s the driveshaft that are driving me mad

passenger side one should just clear and go in - driver side (uk) i had removed the flange to fit gearbox in - then had to undo 3 little bolts holding (wishbone?) in to pivot the hub with drive shaft outside a bit to clear and put that drive shaft in.

If drive shaft is in hub. Try removing from hub then you have more free play to marry up holes to gearbox if you get me. If it marrys up to gearbox then it’ll slot into hub.
Ross

If drive shaft is in hub. Try removing from hub then you have more free play to marry up holes to gearbox if you get me. If it marrys up to gearbox then it’ll slot into hub.
Ross

I thought this maybe the case I have soaked it in penetrating oil, and have ordered the tool needed to remove the hub nut

Silly question but are the flanges on the gearbox the same size as the driveshafts.
In the distant past, sure I read there are different sizes and on some gearbox conversions it's necessary to swap over the output flanges from the old gearbox to match the driveshafts

Cheers Spike

Silly question but are the flanges on the gearbox the same size as the driveshafts.
In the distant past, sure I read there are different sizes and on some gearbox conversions it's necessary to swap over the output flanges from the old gearbox to match the driveshafts

Cheers Spike

I’m quite sure they are, I think it may be alignment but I will figure tight a bolt in just to be sure

I’m quite sure they are, I think it may be alignment but I will figure tight a bolt in just to be sure

plus one for Spikes suggestion , there ARE differences in the various VAG gearboxes in terms of hole PCD, as far as I know they are all M8 threads, but the PCD is certainly different. However it appears that gearbox flanges are swap-able between the VAG gearboxes, so you need the gearbox flanges that suit the A2 driveshafts and fit these to the gearbox
If the flanges and drive shaft knuckles are compatible then you should be able to finger fit and tighten the 6 bolts

plus one for Spikes suggestion , there ARE differences in the various VAG gearboxes in terms of hole PCD, as far as I know they are all M8 threads, but the PCD is certainly different. However it appears that gearbox flanges are swap-able between the VAG gearboxes, so you need the gearbox flanges that suit the A2 driveshafts and fit these to the gearbox
If the flanges and drive shaft knuckles are compatible then you should be able to finger fit and tighten the 6 bolts

I was thinking this but checking the part numbers the polo, lupo and a2 ones share the same part number

I was thinking this but checking the part numbers the polo, lupo and a2 ones share the same part number

I also can’t get a single bolt in, I’m not super mechanical I’m also having an issue getting the tie rod end off!

Back