Bonnet Re-Spray

Unfortunately the price of painting panels has gone up a lot lately (as everything) and so don’t be surprised to be paying £180-200.

Depends on lots of things: is it a colour change, damaged, lacquer peeled, dented, corroded? Standard of finish: quick daily driver, doesn't matter just as long as it's about the right colour, or a factory standard as a minimum?

Then area: South East and London will always be more than the North / Wales etc.

Around here in SE, a decent job for now colour change would be around £275-£350, but if you want a quick tidy up away from the SE then yes, the £180-200 would do it, possibly even a bit less.

Price of materials has gone up a lot recently and as most comes in from Europe, it's hardly lightly to go down in the near future either.

@Rusty911 thanks for the info. Think my colour is same as yours. Will get a quote from my local body shop. Got a 1.6 SE which needs a little bit of TLC but could be a fab looking car.

I would strongly suggest to consider just buying a new bonnet, unless you have a very rare color a2
I take it you mean a different bonnet? A new bonnet would be supplied in a primer.

The problem with a used one is there are lots of potential problems ?

1) Is it the original paint, and are the wings on the destination car in original paint? If not, potential colour mismatch.
2) Is the replacement actually any better, bearing in mind it's come from a car that's so bad it's being broken up? You can't judge by photos, so only way to tell is to visit: time / miles.
3) If it does look better, is it because it's been filled and painted at some point? If so, future issues?
4) You may find it doesn't fit in exactly the same way as the original.

So, yes, if you have a badly damaged panel, then a used replacement is probably an excellent starting point, especially for an 'O.K.' daily driver. I would rather get a decent job done on an existing panel though if it was to tidy up blemishes on an otherwise nice car / panel.

Of course in the case of a bonnet, if you saw one locally then it might be well worth a quick visit and trial just to see if it's good enough to fit the bill.

How much should I typically pay for a full car bonnet respray.

Thanks

Nick
I got a rough estimate 9 months ago of £500 to respray both bumpers (rear has very minor damage in the middle) and the top half of the nearside rear quarter panel (no damage, but paint has crazed and hasn't been blended in to the rest). Colour is fern green.
This was from a one man local body shop in east Kent. He has a good reputation.

Back