Boot won't close, can anyone help?

JM_A2

Hi all,
I've decided to make a post to see if anyone would be able to help me out.

I am currently at the end of a camping trip in Croyde, North Devon. Today, my boot catch has stopped working, leaving me with a boot that won't close and a four hour drive home tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice or potentially be able to help me fix the issue. I don't have any tools with me as I didn't plan for this kind of problem to arise.

I've had a bit of a look at the catch mechanism and it seems the piece of the boot catch that slides across to hold the boot down won't lock into place.

I appreciate this is a bit of a desperate situation but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Joe

If all else fails, I’m sure the campsite shop will have duct tape.

hope you get it sorted - have you tried manually poking the catch with a screwdriver?

Unfortunately I don't have a screwdriver with me however I did move it around with a pencil, but it made no difference.

What about the Audi tool kit either under the boot floor or under the drivers footwell?
I do have some of the tools they provide from factory in the boot. Not sure how I'd get the inside trim off the boot lid or what I'd do once it was removed.

What position is the lock in on the hatch? i.e. opened or closed. there is a chance something inside the lock itself has broken and the fix for that is to replace the lock with another one. Removing the interior trim from the hatch lid can be a real ordeal....When you touch the release handle on the hatch does the lock make any noise?

Try dropping the hatch from about 6 inches from closed to see if that then latches the lock. I am assuming the lock is in the open position.
Try to take a couple of picture and post them here. Just make sure they are small enough to be posted.

So the handle to open the boot does make a noise. I tried moving the lock into the closed position manually and won't lock into place. I'll try and add some photos now

IMG_20210629_182659.jpg
IMG_20210629_182741.jpg

The first photo is the latch with the moving piece pushed round as far as I can get it to go. I think the issue is that it won't lock into place.
The second image is the how the latch was positioned when I lifted up the hatch after dropping it into place.
I tried dropping the hatch from about 6 inches away and it didnt close. It just bounced a little. I could still open the hatch without using the handle to release it.
I hope that helps explain the issue.

What is sticking down under the lock pawl in the top picture? Is it loose? Can you take a picture of that as it does not look right?

I struggled to get a good picture of the lock but hopefully this helps.
IMG_20210629_184603.jpg

It appears to be a bit of maybe rubber? Or plastic? Thats come off the moving piece of the latch. You can kind of see the change of height on the bottom edge of the moving piece where it has broken away from. I could try removing it to see if that is hindering the hatch from closing.

If the part sticking down will come off you probably have nothing to loose. If that is getting stuck in the latch or blocking the latch could well be the problem.

If the part sticking down will come off you probably have nothing to loose. If that is getting stuck in the latch or blocking the latch could well be the problem.
Pull the emergency door string on the rear door at the bottom of the glass.Its a black plastic bit that you flick open with your car key.
Pull it out & pull the string to make sure your lock is open first!......Beforetrying to close it. It looks very oily black. I would suggest getting some WD 40 & spraying it (with a bit of rag or plastic to catch the oily crap.
A2 boots if directly in the sun will play up on that lock.
It must be released first. I’ll go out & take a picture of the release bit.
If stuck give us a ring. Tony 07970 875593.

Pull the emergency door string on the rear door at the bottom of the glass.Its a black plastic bit that you flick open with your car key.
Pull it out & pull the string to make sure your lock is open first!......Beforetrying to close it. It looks very oily black. I would suggest getting some WD 40 & spraying it (with a bit of rag or plastic to catch the oily crap.
A2 boots if directly in the sun will play up on that lock.
It must be released first. I’ll go out & take a picture of the release bit.
If stuck give us a ring. Tony 07970 875593.

Attachments

• C7902DB0-2705-477D-AB0B-ADF53C14ADAF.jpeg
    C7902DB0-2705-477D-AB0B-ADF53C14ADAF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
  • 809A5A7F-F2BA-4913-A298-07C74BFBF73B.jpeg
    809A5A7F-F2BA-4913-A298-07C74BFBF73B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
  • 149A29D3-CF80-4894-94F7-23153026A020.jpeg
    149A29D3-CF80-4894-94F7-23153026A020.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
Cheers Tony! I gave the emergency release a tug and I think it might have broken on the inside of the boot, the release pulled out pretty far but didn't seem to do anything. Ive run out of daylight now but I'll have another try tomorrow morning and update then.

Also thanks to everyone else who offered ways to try and get my boot to cooperate. It's greatly appreciated. As mentioned in the previous message I'll have to continue trying to get this sorted tomorrow.

Came into this one a bit late, but why not remove the carpeted panel on the boot lid and work the lock manually? There’s an arm that the motor latches to, that can be moved in or out manually and thereby releasing the lock.

If you need a replacement catch then give me a shout.

Back