BOSE Concert 2 wiring repairs needed

VAG fool

I have mentioned this recent discovery in The Black Pearl topic, but thought that maybe it needs its own one.
In breif, car has been fitted with a young man's hifi in the past I think it was a Kenwood with the unique plug) big copper cables run to all the doors (not had a card off yet to see if there is further damage behind the grilles) and signs of an aftermarket sub having been in the boot (big earth cable under one tailgate lock stud, cut off) and the tailgate filled with PU 2-pack expanding foam...
The car's PO had supplied a radio wiring harness tail which I found under the boot false floor but I am not convinced that it is actually a BOSE one as the wiring does not quite match what is behind the dash.
So...as bought that car had a Concert 2 filling the hole in the console and I knew what to expect.
Things that I do appreciate:
1. The head unit will need coding to the BOSE configuration.
2. I dont know where the BOSE rear speaker amp is located.
3. I need a wiring diagram for the BOSE system.
Any help most gratefully received!
IMG_20210306_170630_9_resize_94.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I just found this topic which has been revived today:

We have Bose and the amp is under the drivers side floor along the transmission tunnel beneath a black steel plate, it’s not immediately obvious.
to me it looks like you just have amplified rear speakers there and not Bose, from the wiring at least.

edit, after another look I can see the five Bose wires that are the pre~out lines to the amp (1 minus and 4 positives)

what is it exactly you need to know?

To get to the compartment where the amplifier is you need to pull up the carpet in the drivers footwell (it comes up from the rear and then folds towards the dashboard) then open up the triangular panel, remove the polystyrene insert for the tools then the amp should be there near the exhaust tunnel.
IMG_20210306_213932.jpg

Does this help, the Bose outputs are on the bottom row on the right hand side where it say COM, LR, LF etc, the 6th one is the power signal to start the amp

img_1098.jpg

Ok so that is identical to the label on the unit in the car. It is definitely a Bose car, everything is present (sub in boot, tools under driver's floor etc)
The niggle is that the wiring "tail" with plugs is clearly not from an A2 as the number of wires and their colours dont correlate.
Its from another car with 4 speaker outputs and some other stuff.
I'll get some more pics.

The other thing is that both the volume and selector knobs have been punched in, for want of a better phrase. I have managed to draw the volume knob out, but it doesnt clip onto the spindle at all. Is there a fix for this?

Knobs that press in indicate a head unit from another type of Audi. The number on the unit should be 8Z0 for an A2 unit 8L0 is a TT I think

Also, you will need to trace the speaker wires where they go to the door hinge connector in the A and B pillars, if you are lucky the original Bose speaker wires from the Bose amp are still there and you simply need to reconnect them, assuming the Bose amp is still in place? I think you will also need to check inside the doors to make sure the Bose mid range speaker and tweeters are still in place and connected as the Bose amp will not work well with aftermarket speakers due to the different impedance.
Do you still have the Bose woofer in the boot?

Ian

Fortunately for you, the canbus and k-line for diagnostic are still available. Probably the low output signal + and common - will be in the same wiringloom together with the 12V acc. Start looking for a white, yellow, brown/white stripe and red/blue for the rear speakers. Orange/brown and orange/green for canbus and you are on your way.

Just cut away all the other connections, because the are all related to the aftermarket radio connections, to make things more manageable.

The other thing is that both the volume and selector knobs have been punched in, for want of a better phrase. I have managed to draw the volume knob out, but it doesnt clip onto the spindle at all. Is there a fix for this?
Have you got all three bits?

image.jpeg

Andy

I attach a picture from our Bose plug in the car so you can see the colours/loom you are looking for that supplies the Bose amp. I have also noted all the colours you should have on the connector drawing. You do not need illumination or the switched live mentioned in the drawing on the top connector as they are fed via can bus.

2F45F4BA-7424-4260-B699-17719CF98B71.jpeg64E5AC01-91B2-43DC-A5AF-623E5C366869.jpegD1A443A9-9056-4B57-BE42-4DA220FB877A.jpeg

Last edited:
I also found an old set of connectors, they are not from a Bose car, but I have added the missing wire/receptacles to give you a full Bose connection set. The only thing is that the wire colours will not tally up with what you will have in the car, but using my drawing and the photos in the above post you can work out what goes where. The other issue is the wire tails are only about 3” long, but you are welcome to have the set if you think you can use them?
2C226C04-60D8-43B8-9D7B-0327BA6FED83.jpegA79944E7-82AC-4E05-8F28-0D28728711C0.jpeg0FB7BA0D-9BA2-49A2-A2D7-697EE5CE21FA.jpeg

Thanks for the offers and advice so far, I need to replace the mirror control so may as well start on that door, see whats been done and go from there.
I'll lift the toolkit and see if the Bose amp is still there.
Yes the Bose sub is still in the boot and plugged in, although someone has stolen a few of the lid screws.
IMG_20210306_103612_7_resize_72.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the screws too much, all thats in there is an empty void, the actual woofer is in the round part with the Audi logo.

Hopefully the woofer is still wired to the amp and it will just be a case of wiring the new head unit and checking the door wiring, at least you may not need a new loom, just a soldering iron and some heat shrink.

Ian

Back