BOSE symphony II adding bluetooth connectivity

nod

hi folks, I'm sure its here somewhere but couldn't find it, which is the (a) best value adaptor to allow streaming of music from a phone to the car stereo (in my case it is a BOSE symphony II 2002 tdi car) - not bothered about in car calling., (b) the other end of the scale bluetooth connect, usb connect, sd card connect including calls. I'd appreciate links to something you've used sucessfully. Needs to be plug and play and for BOSE.

cheers

Okay, plug and play for BOSE isn't really an issue, as all the "sound" signal processing is done by the BOSE amplifier, so all good there.

I found this to be a very good compromise for wifey - https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Adapto...C1RDQT449P2&psc=1&refRID=AMEQFSD08C1RDQT449P2

This allows you to stream anything coming from your 'phone, and also plays back MP3s and WMAs from USB or SD cards. The folder naming convention for these is a little fiddly, but once you've got the hang of it it works really well.

All it needs to work is plugging into the CD Changer on your head unit, and earthing on same.

Reactions: nod
I have one of these, (AnyCarLink 1080-B) and it's very good, easy to fit, comes with everything you need, even radio pull out keys, and hands free mic. I'd buy it again.

This one's cheaper, by £20, sounds very similar. TT Forum member has fitted one, and is happy. You pays your money etc! Mac.

Reactions: nod
I have one of these, (AnyCarLink 1080-B) and it's very good, easy to fit, comes with everything you need, even radio pull out keys, and hands free mic. I'd buy it again.

This one's cheaper, by £20, sounds very similar. TT Forum member has fitted one, and is happy. You pays your money etc! Mac.

I think it's the same one :)

Okay, plug and play for BOSE isn't really an issue, as all the "sound" signal processing is done by the BOSE amplifier, so all good there.

I found this to be a very good compromise for wifey - https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Adapto...C1RDQT449P2&psc=1&refRID=AMEQFSD08C1RDQT449P2

This allows you to stream anything coming from your 'phone, and also plays back MP3s and WMAs from USB or SD cards. The folder naming convention for these is a little fiddly, but once you've got the hang of it it works really well.

All it needs to work is plugging into the CD Changer on your head unit, and earthing on same.
Thinking about getting one of these x car/ anycar systems to plug into my symphony 2 but can I ask do they charge your phone at the same time?

I have the AnyCarLink 1080-B, the USB socket is intended for a thumb/flash drive, but can supply 500 ma (1/2 amp) to charge a phone. 500 ma is a very low charge current. Would probably keep an active phone charged (like when using it as a sat nav), but would take a long time to charge a flat phone battery. These BT adapters are small devices, which emulate the CD changer etc, they simply don't have the capacity to provide a couple of amps to charge a phone at a similar rate to a proper charger. Suggest you fit a USB psu for phone charging, independent of the in car entertainment kit.
Mac.

Something that I'd like to seek clarification for with these adapters, if I may; Is it the same case with the A2 stereos that when you plug the adapter into the CD changer port that it uses button 1-5 for the first five playlists on the device and number 6 plays all files at random? Wondering how that would work with Spotify through an auxiliary cable.

It's what stopped me buying the adapter for my A4, because that's quite a limited way of doing something over multiple playlists on an iPod, let alone the nature of a streaming app!

I think this (button 1-5) is an iPod only issue.
Always remember that radios in our cars are 20 year old designs. The only external interface is via the CD player connection. The radio can only send and receive the very limited CD changer command set. Adapters, however clever, have to work with this constraint. In the end, you may have to choose between originality (OEM HU) and functionality (after market HU).
Mac.

I have the AnyCarLink 1080-B, the USB socket is intended for a thumb/flash drive, but can supply 500 ma (1/2 amp) to charge a phone. 500 ma is a very low charge current. Would probably keep an active phone charged (like when using it as a sat nav), but would take a long time to charge a flat phone battery. These BT adapters are small devices, which emulate the CD changer etc, they simply don't have the capacity to provide a couple of amps to charge a phone at a similar rate to a proper charger. Suggest you fit a USB psu for phone charging, independent of the in car entertainment kit.
Mac.
I agree with PlasticMac 500ma is very low especially as car chargers would typically run at 1.8a - 3a i.e. 4 - 6 times as fast and wall socket chargers faster still.

I had an Xcarlink fitted by @timmus (Concert 2) and had the exact same query/concern however when I use my iPhone for satnav (google maps which is data hungry) and Bluetooth audio concurrently the charge does increase and much more than I expected which negates the need to plug into the cigarette lighter for charging (which I was expecting to do). This is probably however phone/BT unit/cable specific so cannot comment on other setups.

I would suggest whichever device you opt for pick a very good quality lightning cable as I did and you’ll probably be fine but as PlasticMax suggests don’t expect it to fully charge a flat phone battery quickly.

Last edited:
If you’re on a budget and want zero wiring then this works pretty well:
Bluetooth FM Transmitter, TeckNet... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K8MDYW8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The inbuilt mic isn’t great for hands free calls, but the music playback is very good, and that’s what I wanted as well as dual charging, £11.99.

I use one of these in mine. Does the job well. Sound quality probably wouldn't be good enough for those who use their BOSE to its full potential, but its fine for me with my standard system.

I think this (button 1-5) is an iPod only issue.
Always remember that radios in our cars are 20 year old designs. The only external interface is via the CD player connection. The radio can only send and receive the very limited CD changer command set. Adapters, however clever, have to work with this constraint. In the end, you may have to choose between originality (OEM HU) and functionality (after market HU).
Mac.

Indeed, it's an unfortunate paradox, because I love how OEM looks in the dash, but I really desire modern functionality. If the aftermarket could use matt finishes and more red illumination I wouldn't have as many qualms. It's when they're glossy with red illumination, but a different colour LCD screen that I cringe and do an about turn.

We need Becker to come back, those were really discrete designs.

Indeed, it's an unfortunate paradox, because I love how OEM looks in the dash, but I really desire modern functionality. If the aftermarket could use matt finishes and more red illumination I wouldn't have as many qualms. It's when they're glossy with red illumination, but a different colour LCD screen that I cringe and do an about turn.

We need Becker to come back, those were really discrete designs.
I have the exact same view, I want modern functionality whilst retaining the OEM look too and if you could reprogram RNS-e to do everything you can in modern cars (at a reasonable price) I’d have that. Since you can’t (not to my knowledge) I’ve got a detachable vent mounted cradle and a phone that does all of this. Best of all if I don’t need satnav, cradle away and all is OEM whilst still being able to skip tracks and answer calls whilst the phone is in my pocket/bag/boot etc.

Last edited:
I'm with Jeetesh. A full function Bluetooth interface to the OEM head unit, and a modern phone provides all the functionality that I need. Haven't come across any function that I want, that I cant have, with this setup.
Maybe the OEM HU audio quality is not quite (with or without Bose) up there with current units, but neither are my old ears! The cabin of a small car is never going to facilitate hifi sound, the acoustics just aren't suitable.
Primarily, my cars are for driving. Sound is simply a pleasant accompliament. My Concert II, and Nexus (plus Yosh vent mount) provides that
Mac.

I'm with Jeetesh. A full function Bluetooth interface to the OEM head unit, and a modern phone provides all the functionality that I need. Haven't come across any function that I want, that I cant have, with this setup.
Maybe the OEM HU audio quality is not quite (with or without Bose) up there with current units, but neither are my old ears! The cabin of a small car is never going to facilitate hifi sound, the acoustics just aren't suitable.
Primarily, my cars are for driving. Sound is simply a pleasant accompliament. My Concert II, and Nexus (plus Yosh vent mount) provides that
Mac.
Car cabins in respect of HIFI when the A2 was designed were an after thought (aluminium structure doesn't help either), as you all know it was engineered to be a light/economical “small Audi, not a cheap Audi” first. In my opinion standard setup is 4/10 (8-speakers), Bose is 8/10 so a vast improvement.

PlasticMac and I are on the same page, cars are for driving my only caveat however is that I spend too much of my life in traffic therefore I may as well have good quality music too.

Anyway we digress, the Bluetooth audio works very well and the sound quality is very good. Take comfort your phone will probably have more charge than when your journey started.

Last edited:
Hey. I have a BOSE Symphony II. There is also such a unit - 8D0862335B But bluetooth does not work. Is this a block problem? Is it worth replacing it with a more complete one with other letters at the end? (8D0 862 335 QX ... A etc.)

In general, is it possible to retrofit to transfer music?

thank

Attachments

• 2019822191028.jpg
    2019822191028.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 343
Hi Bono05,

The factory-fitted Bluetooth system in your A2 was designed only for telephone calls. It cannot transfer music.
There is no genuine Audi Bluetooth system that allows music transfer. Only aftermarket solutions will provide this functionality.

Cheers,

Tom

Back