Brake & ABS Warning Lights Today

Cenick

A2OC Donor
Series of lights decided to light up today, including red brake warning light and ABS TCS

Scanned with vcds and I think that the brake switch is the culprit. I'm guessing that the other is an abs sensor cable?

ScanCRA2.PNG

audifan

A2OC Donor
First to try is fully charge the battery. Do you have the glow light flashing? This is usually an indicator for brake switch issues. If you replace the switch try to get a good OEM switch. You could try to clean existing switch but by the time you remove it and clean it you are quicker just fitting the new one.

Cenick

A2OC Donor
First to try is fully charge the battery. Do you have the glow light flashing? This is usually an indicator for brake switch issues. If you replace the switch try to get a good OEM switch. You could try to clean existing switch but by the time you remove it and clean it you are quicker just fitting the new one.
Hmm, will get that checked, I’ve seen the glow plug light on now and again, but didn’t notice it today. It starts on the button turning engine over quickly.

Yep will get OEM switch.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Check your brake lights, if both bulbs have failed or if the brake switch has failed the dash will light up like a Christmas tree!!!

The reason is that the car senses the deceleration without the brake pedal being applied (or so it thinks because the brake light switch/ brake lights did not register)

It just could be a simple as replacing the brake light bulbs or replacing the brake pedal switch (not major).

Steve B

audifan

A2OC Donor
Low battery voltage can cause both these " faults " to occur. There are other reasons for the warnings, but both these systems are heavy on power requirement.

Cenick

A2OC Donor
Check your brake lights, if both bulbs have failed or if the brake switch has failed the dash will light up like a Christmas tree!!!

The reason is that the car senses the deceleration without the brake pedal being applied (or so it thinks because the brake light switch/ brake lights did not register)

It just could be a simple as replacing the brake light bulbs or replacing the brake pedal switch (not major).

Steve B
Thanks Steve, one bulb had failed but that’s still not stopped the fairy lights on the dash

audifan

A2OC Donor
What lights on the dash. The brake switch could still be faulty and the contacts are corroded or are arcing. Drive the car around the block and apply the brakes a few times and report back exactly which lights are on the dash. Battery low voltage will not help, check the battery leads are secure and the engine earth is good ( you could temporarily fit a jump lead between the engine and bare point on chassis ( windscreen motor or Webasto mounting points ) .

Special edition

Admin Team
If you wish to eliminate the brake switch i can post my working spare to you for postage costs only.....part number 1J0-945-511-A. They are a very reasonable price new though from Audi if that is the problem.

Cheers
Dave.

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Yes, a new brake switch might just put a “stop” to your issue.

Seriously though. If it is the switch then the warning lights will normally be out until you drive a few yards and then press the brake for the first time. They would light up as soon as you press the brake pedal when you are driving at just above a crawl.
Strve B

audifan

A2OC Donor
If the brake fault has triggered the glow light warning, some cars take a round the block trip to retrain the ABS and ESP to the new or repaired switch, others work straight away.

Cenick

A2OC Donor
If the brake fault has triggered the glow light warning, some cars take a round the block trip to retrain the ABS and ESP to the new or repaired switch, others work straight away.
Febi switch ordered due in for the weekend

Cenick

A2OC Donor
If you wish to eliminate the brake switch i can post my working spare to you for postage costs only.....part number 1J0-945-511-A. They are a very reasonable price new though from Audi if that is the problem.

Cheers
Dave.
Only just seen this! Thanks for the offer Dave very kind of you but I’ve now ordered a new switch.

Cenick

A2OC Donor
Yes, a new brake switch might just put a “stop” to your issue.

Seriously though. If it is the switch then the warning lights will normally be out until you drive a few yards and then press the brake for the first time. They would light up as soon as you press the brake pedal when you are driving at just above a crawl.
Strve B
Yep as soon as I move off flashing red brake warning light as you say Steve

Cenick

A2OC Donor
What lights on the dash. The brake switch could still be faulty and the contacts are corroded or are arcing. Drive the car around the block and apply the brakes a few times and report back exactly which lights are on the dash. Battery low voltage will not help, check the battery leads are secure and the engine earth is good ( you could temporarily fit a jump lead between the engine and bare point on chassis ( windscreen motor or Webasto mounting points ) .
Battery had been tested and is at 84% capacity so I think it can be ruled out as faulty.

Cenick

A2OC Donor
Well I’ve changed over the brake switch easily enough, checked brake lights come ok.
Scan still has implausible alert plus the abs and asr light are on permanent. The brake warning light comes on once you start moving. No glow plug light this time.
I’ve cleared the errors and they have returned again.

Anyone have any ideas what else to look for?

Might not get chance to look tomorrow as I have to go to London, depends on what time I get back.

Cheers

audifan

A2OC Donor
Have you taken it around the block braking and steering? The ABS and ESP systems may need to be retrained to the new brake switch

spike

Have you taken it around the block braking and steering? The ABS and ESP systems may need to be retrained to the new brake switch
I'd second this suggestion. Think the ABS needs something like a 15mph speed threshold to check and reset the system

Cheers Spike