Brake Cylinder Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my car for its first service a few months back
as the servive indicator instructed.

As the car will be 2 years old in July they said that it should have its brake fluid changed at 2 years and offered to do it early to save me coming back.

A question, does this need to be done and will it have an impact on my warranty if I decide not to?

The car has done 11,000 miles and the breaks seem perfect.

They say it will cost £60 to do

Antony

I would have it done. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, affecting the long term reliability of what must be the most important safety feature on the car. I believe all car makers advise having this done-both SEAT and Toyota do!

As with all service type items, no one forces you to have it done, but if you don't then you will have a fight on your hands with Audi should something go wrong.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

This is not a warranty issue - IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE.

As Steve says - brake fluid absorbs water. If it absorbs too much water (who knows how much too much is until it is too late) then the water boils under heavy brake usage giving steam in the brake system. Brake fluid is not compressible, steam is, so you have no brakes.

Change at 2 years, always use fluid from an un-opened container.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield silver ? ? ?

If your are tight like me try silicone brake fluid, it costs about four or five times as much as the normal stuff and can be hard to find, but it will not absorb moisture like normal fluid. The manufacturers claim it lasts forever, but i would put 5 years on it. You must purge the old fluid first and the hoses and seals must be in good condition. After 5 years your flexible hoses may be on the way out anyway. The brand of silicone fluid I found is Automec. Many garages / dealers / mechanics do not understand this stuff so they give you a warning label to tie to the resovoir. Silicone fluid can be safly mixed with other conventional fluids, but once mixed it must be treated as conventional fluid and changed accordingly. I cannont be used in mineral oil systems (Rolls Royce and Citeron). The other benefit is that it will not rot paint work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back