Brake fluid loss

Audied

Hi all, don't post much but I'm always hanging around!
Sons car 1.4tdi sport.
I topped the brake fluid up around 6months ago, probably no more that a thousand miles done since and I've just had to top it up again, no signs of any leakage. Could this mean the master cylinder is leaking? If so how do I check please.
Thank you

Hi all, don't post much but I'm always hanging around!
Sons car 1.4tdi sport.
I topped the brake fluid up around 6months ago, probably no more that a thousand miles done since and I've just had to top it up again, no signs of any leakage. Could this mean the master cylinder is leaking? If so how do I check please.
Thank you
Hi Audied,
Could be the clutch slave cylinder its fed from the same reservoir.
Regards
Keith

You really need to check all the brake lines as a priority, both rigid and flexible for any trace of leaks. The calipers and the slave cylinders also need to be carefully checked for any signs of leakage.

As Keith has said the clutch slave ( a plastic unit on the top rear of the gearbox ) can also leak.

If you do not feel confident checking these items best have a garage do it for you. Just make sure if not on a ramp that the jack the car correctly and not punch holes in the floor!

You really need to check all the brake lines as a priority, both rigid and flexible for any trace of leaks. The calipers and the slave cylinders also need to be carefully checked for any signs of leakage.

As Keith has said the clutch slave ( a plastic unit on the top rear of the gearbox ) can also leak.

If you do not feel confident checking these items best have a garage do it for you. Just make sure if not on a ramp that the jack the car correctly and not punch holes in the floor!
Thank you.
There is no sign of it leaking, although I haven't jacked it up yet.

Back