Brake Light Switch

mjsbrabus

A2OC Donor
Have read past threads on here about failing brake light switches. Suspect that mine needs replacing as the EPC light has been coming on occasionally when pedal is depressed (and now on permanently).
My question is - what is the best part number to get for a replacement? I have read about the original black switches being suspect (1J0 945 511A); green replacements being better; then green replacements failing prematurely .....
Which are now thought to be best? Might as well put the best one in if I am going to replace it.

tbh I've not had to replace mine yet but it depends on the nature of the fault. I've just removed, pulled the plunger out and reinstalled thus far - had to do that twice in 18 months.

I do note that non OEM for me didn't seem to fit very well at all - original black ones seem to just work even if you do have to pull the plunger back every so often :)

Have read past threads on here about failing brake light switches. Suspect that mine needs replacing as the EPC light has been coming on occasionally when pedal is depressed (and now on permanently).
My question is - what is the best part number to get for a replacement? I have read about the original black switches being suspect (1J0 945 511A); green replacements being better; then green replacements failing prematurely .....
Which are now thought to be best? Might as well put the best one in if I am going to replace it.
I've had more reliable results with Febi Bilstein than the OEM brake switch.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Cheechy - so the plunger just gets pushed too far in and doesn't return properly?

But then presumably your brakes lights are permanently on if that happens?

I got a replacement brake light switch from GSF - just give them your registration number and they will find the part number. About £15 from memory.

Yes they are actually £8.50 from G&S right now after discount - but that makes me wonder about the quality. Topran branded.

Bought a Meyle branded item off an eBay supplier.
At least it is a decent brand - (though whether it is still Chinese manufactured crap is difficult to tell these days!)
Was almost tempted to buy a used item on the basis that something manufactured in 2002 is probably far higher quality than anything made now.....,

I had an occasional ABS and EPC fault. I removed the switch and stripped it apart, you could see the contacts were dirty/arcing so i cleaned them up and its been fine since.

I just bought mine in the Euro Car Parts sale, it was a HAAS brake light switch - HAAS Brake Light SwitchProduct Code: 464440221. This is slightly ‘bulkier’ but fits very well and bayonets straight it (once you’ve disassembled half the under-dash)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheechy - so the plunger just gets pushed too far in and doesn't return properly?

But then presumably your brakes lights are permanently on if that happens?

Yes correct it is for a better phrase over extended and the range for coming back means it no longer deactivates the brake lights

I've had more reliable results with Febi Bilstein than the OEM brake switch.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Just to pickup on this one - installed a febi switch today and whilst it looks very very close to OEM the tabs that retain the switch in place are deeper so need to be sanded slightly down to allow the switch to be turned 90 degrees.

So far working fine after slight mod.

Very weird in deed this brake light switch causing all sorts of problems, it caused our 1.4 TDi to misfire on cylinder 1. I was ready to replace injector loom and decided to pull 10A fuse for brake light switch first and no more misfire! The fuse is on lowest row first 10A fuse from driver door side.

Just to pickup on this one - installed a febi switch today and whilst it looks very very close to OEM the tabs that retain the switch in place are deeper so need to be sanded slightly down to allow the switch to be turned 90 degrees.

So far working fine after slight mod.
Yep agree with above
The tabs are very very slightly bigger and I was trying to force round 90 degrees to click in .. after a close at the original yep tabs and like you a bit of sanding and in she clicked 🙌🙌

Back