Brake Pad Wear (+ABS) Cable Repair Kit - 8Z0 927 904

Andrew

A2OC Donor
England
I need help with a question or two.

The kit fixes the common yellow brake pad sensor warning on the dash and consists of everything needed...

image.jpeg

It is not clear in the picture regarding wire connection ends, for clarity the twisted pair of black and brown ABS wires have one sort of terminal pins with weather seals whereas the yellow and red pad wear wires are not twisted and the red wire has a different terminal pin without a weather seal. The yellow wire has no pin!!!!!!, it has however been stripped to expose 1cm of bare strands, strangely as those it is ready for a domestic wiring connector block?

QUESTION. WHY HAS THE YELLOW WIRE NO TERMINAL PIN?

I know I can splice new to old where the old loom pops out in the engine compartment above the near side wheel arch but I would like to install it properly. I thus need to know the route of these wires and the destination of each wire after it joins a bigger loom just after the wheel arch grommet. To this end I unwrapped the loom protection tape on the loom it joins after the wheel arch grommet, up to the big fat grommet at the top right of the engine compartment and it revealed the cable, still with its hard protective outer coat, disappears through the grommet into the cabin.

QUESTION. DOES ANYBODY KNOW FOR SURE WHAT HAPPENS THEN IN THE CABIN?

I would include the wiring diagram but they are copyright but they reveal...

1. The ABS wires end up at the ABS controller (J104) next to the near side headlight in the engine compartment and a continuity test with a multimeter with the old loom confirms this. Logical enough and also explains the weather seals on the pins but very very strangely it must mean the the brown and black wires do a U turn on arrival in the cabin and come straight back out again joing the loom at the top of the near side wing in the engine compartment???

QUESTION. HAVE I GOT THIS CORRECT???

2. The red pad wear wire is shown to end up at the red connector at the base of the near side A-pillar and this is confirmed with a continuity test on the old loom and the new pin type matches, explains no weather seal as it lives in the cabin. I am reasonably happy about this destination.

3. The yellow wire is my problem. The wiring diagram shows it's an earth and terminates at "119 - Earth connection -1-, in headlight wiring harness".

BIG QUESTION. EXACTLY WHERE IS THIS EARTHING POINT?

Found a correct gauge yellow wire in the red connector but no continuity with the old yellow wire yet other wires do, not surprising as they must be other earths so the old yellow is connected to earth somewhere. Seems illogical to be involved with the headlight wiring but what do I know.

Never really dabbled with electrics but can somebody explain why female connector pins bizarrely seem to be called 'Timers'??????

Andy

Not a lot of response then :(. I am not surprised as I have scoured the forum threads, found a few promising threads that then go quiet at this point.

This is starting to bug me, I ask again does anybody know where is the location of

119 Earth connection -1- in headlight wiring harness.

Many thanks, dreamt about it last night, not quite a nightmare!

Andy

Not a lot of response then :(. I am not surprised as I have scoured the forum threads, found a few promising threads that then go quiet at this point.

This is starting to bug me, I ask again does anybody know where is the location of

119 Earth connection -1- in headlight wiring harness.

Many thanks, dreamt about it last night, not quite a nightmare!

Andy

Here you go

View attachment Lighting Circuits 2.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But to be honest any earthing point would work or anywhere on the body in general as it’s not an instrument earth or anything that requires anything special. Just needs to complete the circuit so it can detect which the circuit brakes to tigger the warning

From the looks of the diagram it is the earth for the front left wing indicator bulb.

And it’s also a shared ground to T10e pin 1 in the A pillar green and black cable

The wires are long to enable you to connect inside the cabin. There is nothing to prevent you splicing into the loom inside the engine bay are shortening the wires accordingly. Mainly depends how far the wire corrosion has gone. The wiring colours can be different on the repair loom to that already fitted to the car. Think Audi employed colour blind assembly workers:) Always check wiring with a meter. Anybody who changes wheel, tyre, spring and shocks run the risk of the wheel or tyre rubbing through the loom. Audi themselves discovered this with numerous issues of rubbing on early sport models hence the replacement loom.

Really stupid part is price of this kit - over 60EUR for two connectors, rubber grommet and a bit of wire. :( So far I just made loom myself for this repair.

The brown one.

Thanks for the diagrams, the problem is I am a novice to things electrical and I am not yet confident about interpreting the diagrams. I will go and watch some of the videos on understanding VW electrical diagrams. At the moment I am struggling to interpret your replies above.

The wires are long to enable you to connect inside the cabin. There is nothing to prevent you splicing into the loom inside the engine bay are shortening the wires accordingly. Mainly depends how far the wire corrosion has gone. The wiring colours can be different on the repair loom to that already fitted to the car. Think Audi employed colour blind assembly workers:) Always check wiring with a meter. Anybody who changes wheel, tyre, spring and shocks run the risk of the wheel or tyre rubbing through the loom. Audi themselves discovered this with numerous issues of rubbing on early sport models hence the replacement loom.
Yes, the wires do reach the base of the A-Pillar but I would rather not splice but remove the old terminals and insert the new when I can find them. The replacement loom wires colours are identical to the original. Thanks anyway.

Really stupid part is price of this kit - over 60EUR for two connectors, rubber grommet and a bit of wire. :( So far I just made loom myself for this repair.
Yes, like all Audi spares probably cost 50% more than they should, but you do get a bit for your money (first post) and having bought it I might as well install it properly. Thanks for your comment.

Andy

Hi Andrew,

I do a fair amount of wiring on these, honestly for this sensor I would just get a good quality crimp or soldier on the old wire

Thought I would recap and as everyone likes pictures a few pictures.

Thanks to the members who posted the original pictures and I hope you don't mind I have stolen used them.

My main concern is tracing the all-yellow wire of the pad wear sensor cable.

I know the yellow wire leaves the engine compartment via the big fat grommet at the top right. It is in the loom on the left arrowed.

Bulkhead Grommet.jpeg

This big loom emerges on the cabin side at the position arrowed. (This is not my car!)

Stripped Dash.jpg

Most of the loom then makes a severe (!!) right angle turn, travels horizontally for six inches and drops down to the base of the A-Pillar by the path crudely shown. The thick(ish) insulation even has a pre-moulded tunnel to accommodate the loom! My big problem is I cannot clearly see or access the loom here, being hindered by the left hand end of all the aircon hardware.

The wiring spaghetti junction at the base of the A-Pillar, this is my car.

A-Pillar - 1.JPG

I cannot find the yellow wire here!!!! Any yellow wires here fail a continuity test with the original yellow in the engine bay !!???

I did find the red (almost pink) wire of the brake pad pair, you can see where I removed it from the red connector and confirmed by a continuity test.

The wiring diagram shows the yellow wire terminates at '119 Earth connect -1- in headlight wiring harness', where is it??????

I have a few ideas and facts, more later maybe.

Andy

Thought I would recap and as everyone likes pictures a few pictures.

Thanks to the members who posted the original pictures and I hope you don't mind I have stolen used them.

My main concern is tracing the all-yellow wire of the pad wear sensor cable.

I know the yellow wire leaves the engine compartment via the big fat grommet at the top right. It is in the loom on the left arrowed.

View attachment 64769

This big loom emerges on the cabin side at the position arrowed. (This is not my car!)

View attachment 64770
Most of the loom then makes a severe (!!) right angle turn, travels horizontally for six inches and drops down to the base of the A-Pillar by the path crudely shown. The thick(ish) insulation even has a pre-moulded tunnel to accommodate the loom! My big problem is I cannot clearly see or access the loom here, being hindered by the left hand end of all the aircon hardware.

The wiring spaghetti junction at the base of the A-Pillar, this is my car.

View attachment 64771

I cannot find the yellow wire here!!!! Any yellow wires here fail a continuity test with the original yellow in the engine bay !!???

I did find the red (almost pink) wire of the brake pad pair, you can see where I removed it from the red connector and confirmed by a continuity test.

The wiring diagram shows the yellow wire terminates at '119 Earth connect -1- in headlight wiring harness', where is it??????

I have a few ideas and facts, more later maybe.

Andy

It’s pin 1 of the brown connector

It’s pin 1 of the brown connector

However looking at the brake wear diagram

It does go straight to 119 and not the brown connector.

G34 in this picture

39acf648f623fa38fa488cc0ea6d8e61.jpg

So just to further clarify.
1. you are replacing the loom with the repair loom all the way back to the A pillar.
2. you are swapping like for like in the connection blocks
3.you have located all connection points - verified by meter.
4. you are still connecting the earth yellow into the left headlight or are you using an earth in the A pillar.

Just checked a headlight and the connector has 9 pins fitted. As the headlight has 5 functions there is either a shared power or shared earth.

5 functions are indicator, sidelight, headlight, main beam and range adjuster/leveler. The leveler only works with the headlights on so shared pin may be there.

1. you are replacing the loom with the repair loom all the way back to the A pillar.
4. you are still connecting the earth yellow into the left headlight or are you using an earth in the A pillar.

Just checked a headlight and the connector has 9 pins fitted. As the headlight has 5 functions there is either a shared power or shared earth.

5 functions are indicator, sidelight, headlight, main beam and range adjuster/leveler. The leveler only works with the headlights on so shared pin may be there.

119 is shared with loads of things the diagram does show for the brake wear indicator it goes straight to the earth point, the left indicator also uses 119 to earth so could use that one, but any earth on the car will work as is just completing the circuit.

I need to do this job and have the long cable* and was thinking of pushing it through the bulkhead alongside the main cable and fishing it out behind the glovebox. But looking at the photo above with the dash removed, that doesn't look possible because of the pre-moulded tunnel .

Looking at the photo of the engine bay (above - thanks's Andrew), there is a triangular (?) panel with 2 bolts visible. I guess that is the ventilation tunnel. Could one slacken the nuts and push the cable through there. Key thing is: can it be accessed inside the cabin behind the glovebox?

Any thoughts?.

*actually, I also have the short cable repair kit that is spliced in but then the long cable kit became available at 1/2 price so I bought it.

However looking at the brake wear diagram

It does go straight to 119 and not the brown connector.

G34 in this picture

39acf648f623fa38fa488cc0ea6d8e61.jpg

Yes, this is the wiring diagram I am going by which is why I keep mentioning '119 Earth connection -1- in headlight wiring harness', as per legend on the right (out of view in your picture). Thanks for the interest and looking it up but I have a little more to go on but will come back it to it tomorrow.

Andy

Yes and no!

1. As per first post in the thread, two of the wires, the black and brown twisted ABS pair end up at the ABS unit next to the N/S headlight, not the A-Pillar, yet go through the big fat grommet into the cabin heading in the opposite direction!!!???The red pad wire I have found at the red connector T17g at the A-Pillar as per wiring diagram. The termination of the yellow pad wire is yet undetermined.

2. Yes, that is the intention. See 3.

3. Yes, I have verified with meter three of the four terminating pins, detailed above. The connector pins Audi provide, pre crimped on the wire tails of the repair kit match exactly what I have found, Audi got it right! The ABS pins and red pad pin are actually different types of pin but you need a manifying glass to really see the difference, or at least I do with my aging eyesight!

4. I am doing nothing at the moment since I don't know where the yellow wire terminates, the wiring diagram does suggest it something to do with the headlights.
Actually my left hand headlight connector has 10 pin slots and 9 are used, I know a little bit more and will post it tomorrow.

Andy

Last edited:
Back