broken connector on the rear window

roc-a-rhol

A2OC Donor
Wales
hi all

iv just inadvertently dislodged a connector on the rear window - either the rear heater element or radio antenna. does anyone know how to reattach it please?
cheers
drew

Attachments

• PXL_20221201_132450714.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221201_132450714.MP.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 141
solder or electrically conductive adhesive? how wire end looks like was it soldered ?
They are soldered during production, probably while the glass is still hot. I'd use low temperature solder paste, (tin-bismuth eutectic). Check if the part that has pulled off can be disconnected from the wire, I think it can.
If you are not confident with soldering, find someone who is. Clean both sides thourghly . Apply paste to the screen, heat to the separate piece, via solder paste, (solder to the iron then solder conducts heat to the screen.
Mac.

They are soldered during production, probably while the glass is still hot. I'd use low temperature solder paste, (tin-bismuth eutectic). Check if the part that has pulled off can be disconnected from the wire, I think it can.
If you are not confident with soldering, find someone who is. Clean both sides thourghly . Apply paste to the screen, heat to the separate piece, via solder paste, (solder to the iron then solder conducts heat to the screen.
Mac.
cheers mac.
ill save that for a warmer day i think!

Is that wire the rear screen heater, or the antenna, below the wing? Wire looks a bit small for heater current ...
Mac.
Good spot Mac. In that position I believe that would be the antenna - one of potentially 4, you may not even notice the difference on radio reception if you have a diversity unit under the boot floor.

Good spot Mac. In that position I believe that would be the antenna - one of potentially 4, you may not even notice the difference on radio reception if you have a diversity unit under the boot floor.
And the solder connection is not so critical, as very low current. Conductive adhesive might be OK.
Never considered it till now. I'll do a bit of Googling ...
Mac.

And the solder connection is not so critical, as very low current. Conductive adhesive might be OK.
Never considered it till now. I'll do a bit of Googling ...
Mac.
Having Googled, I think as long as it is the antenna, conductive adhesive is the way to go. Look for a known adhesive brand though.
Mac.

Having Googled, I think as long as it is the antenna, conductive adhesive is the way to go. Look for a known adhesive brand though.
Mac.
brilliant, thank you! appreciate you looking in to it.

its drivers side, next to the rear strip brake light

Last edited:
good news is that i've checked the radio and that still works!
bad news is that the lower part of the screen sort of heats but the 'upper' window above the spoiler doesn't. it wasn't the best of performers beforehand though, so hardly an inconvenience.

cheers
drew

Does look like the connector is for the upper screen defrost.

Have a look at this kit to repair the connector...

Much safer than trying to solder to the glass.

Does look like the connector is for the upper screen defrost.

Have a look at this kit to repair the connector...

Much safer than trying to solder to the glass.
I have always thought that the grid under the spoiler was just part of the antenna. Mine has never got hot anyway! The stuff he uses is a conductive adhesive, as I mentioned. Interesting to see if it's OK with the high current that the screen heater draws, but if it's duff already, there's nothing to loose. I'll watch with interest 🤞.
Mac.

still not received my adhesive yet, but as today was a frosty one i was able to see how the rear screen heater behaved
i was quite surprised actually. the upper portion of the window seems to be working.
im still going to fix the connection in due course to see how it affects performance

cheers
drew

Attachments

• PXL_20221208_081624449.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221208_081624449.MP.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
I don't think the lower rear window (under the spoiler) does heat at all, as far as I know that's an antenna, and there's another one above the heated section of the upper window - presumably, the one that's detatched on your car. There are two more antenna units down the sides of the rear window under the trims. The Diversity unit will pick the best signal from the four of them, so it's entirely possible you've not heard any difference in radio reception with one missing.

I don't think the lower rear window (under the spoiler) does heat at all, as far as I know that's an antenna, and there's another one above the heated section of the upper window - presumably, the one that's detatched on your car. There are two more antenna units down the sides of the rear window under the trims. The Diversity unit will pick the best signal from the four of them, so it's entirely possible you've not heard any difference in radio reception with one missing.
deffo seems that way.
ill fix it anyway but will probably never know if it's been attached correctly which is v annoying!

for those wanting an update on this, it's very anticlimactic really.
ive reattached the connector using electrical paste and no concernable difference.
no idea whether is a radio antenna or a heater as both seemed to work when it was broken!

Isn't that broken bit is the rear glass break sensor? I recall being told it is, in another thread.
The issue is, in that case the alarm should've gone off as soon as it's not attached.

Isn't that broken bit is the rear glass break sensor? I recall being told it is, in another thread.
The issue is, in that case the alarm should've gone off as soon as it's not attached.
it's either not the sensor or it never worked as iv not heard any weewaa noises! 😂

Back