Broken dipstick 1.4 aua petrol

Davidkinton

Just got my car back from the garage after some repairs and come to check the oil and guess what? Some one has broken the end of the dipstick just below the round guide ball. It’s the black dipstick with the ball about 6 inches from the end. Can I just buy a new dipstick or will I need to replace the whole tube assembly? If so, what sort of job is it? Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got my car back from the garage after some repairs and come to check the oil and guess what? Some one has broken the end of the dipstick just below the round guide ball. It’s the black dipstick with the ball about 6 inches from the end. Can I just buy a new dipstick or will I need to replace the whole tube assembly? If so, what sort of job is it? Any help much appreciated.

I have printed of some more today in ABS plastic as per the original ones I produced, £3.50ea or two for £5.00 plus 90 pence postage

Thanks for replies, but I think a little more has broken off than just the tip. Probably about 6 inches. So I think I’m going to need to remove the tube and remove the broken end and then replace the dipstick???

Thanks for replies, but I think a little more has broken off than just the tip. Probably about 6 inches. So I think I’m going to need to remove the tube and remove the broken end and then replace the dipstick???

Can you post a picture, as far as I know all dipsticks are similar in that they are constructed of a cable with a plastic moulding on the end. For it to break 6 inches from the end would be very strange?
Leaving the broken plastic end in the sump should not be a problem, unless of course it's jammed in the guide tube.

Some of them are fiber glass and can break at a random stress point. Just like mine did. Doing the mod for the steel cable version now. Much better!

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Or you just leave it like it is an install the polo dipstick.

It's much better to read than the original one ... But you have to open the front plate.

I paid 10€ including shipping for this modification.

Back