Broken repeaters

Malcyb

Hi, neither of the repeaters in my front wings are firmly clipped into the wings and just hang loosely. However I can’t tell what the problem is as I haven’t been able to find a picture of what a new repeater looks like to tell if mine are broken. How does this clip into the wing, is there something obviously wrong with it? I thought the circled clip would go underneath but it doesn’t want to.
9C3884F2-9CD5-4785-B179-1E9DA6CABB96.jpeg

There is a big crack in the springy bit. No spring left in it, so won't latch in the wing. Probably old age ...
Mac

There is a big crack in the springy bit. No spring left in it, so won't latch in the wing. Probably old age ...
Mac

Ta, I did wonder whether that was a crack or designed that way to make it bend. I’ll go on the wanted section for some replacements in that case...

They genuine Audi ones are quite cheap and strangely satisfying when they clip in securely.

Have to agree - I bought slightly cheaper ones when i first picked the car up 3 years back. I got an advisory on them last MOT in October and I found both had water ingress...and never seemed to fit just right. Now in the bin of course :)

Hi, neither of the repeaters in my front wings are firmly clipped into the wings and just hang loosely. However I can’t tell what the problem is as I haven’t been able to find a picture of what a new repeater looks like to tell if mine are broken. How does this clip into the wing, is there something obviously wrong with it? I thought the circled clip would go underneath but it doesn’t want to.
View attachment 73599

I absolutely recommend these ones:

Have been using them for a year. Very bright amber light, being LED they draw less power - what not to like???

I absolutely recommend these ones:

Have been using them for a year. Very bright amber light, being LED they draw less power - what not to like???

Thanks for the heads up but I’d prefer to retain the OEM look where I can, and thanks to @CreweAudi I’ve got a new pair on the way for less than these cost.

So I got myself a pukka pair of new repeaters (thanks @CreweAudi) but believe it or not, I’m a bit stumped, I can’t get them to fit into the wing, even with a fair bit of brute force, enough to make the aluminium flex. There seems to be no way the section marked in yellow below fits into the recess marked red. It almost makes me wonder if this is even the right part for my car as I’m wondering what that rusty metal clip is doing there!? I can’t believe this is true though since it looks the same save for the clip not being broken. Is there some trick to fitting it or does it just push in? If I can’t do it myself it’s not the end of the world (though deeply embarrassing) as on Monday I’m taking the car along to the much recommended Gary in Hounslow for a new clutch and cam belt so I’ll ask him to fix them.
3129F41C-2D5A-4AEF-803A-702C0D900199.jpeg

It should in theory just slide back in from the side towards the door and clip in. The back of your new one doesnt look quite right though....have a look at the back of these non OEM ones and compare the fitting. ?

Last edited:
It should in theory just slide back in from the side towards the door and clip in. The back of your new one doesnt look quite right though....have a look at the back of these non OEM ones and compare the fitting. ?

I thought it should slide in forwards like I think you’re saying, however it really doesn’t want to go. I see what you mean about there being a slight difference with the non OEM one in your link. In this photo, the little spur I’ve circled in yellow isn’t on the non OEM, however it doesn’t look like that‘s preventing it going in. It almost looks to me as if, were I to take a Stanley knife to it along the line in red, it might just go in, however I can’t believe that should be necessary and I don’t want to risk ruining them. One question, the tab circled in blue is very stiff indeed, that isnt meant to be a kind of spring clip is it? It doesn’t seem to be elastic enough for that purpose. However I can’t see any way of the end of that tab sliding under the panel.
71810D5B-82C7-4209-839D-CAA711A0AA9A.jpeg

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to cut it to fit. I think the blue circled clip is the spring and you should try putting it into the hole in the wing first at an angle from the side then push fit. If it doesnt clip secuerly into the gap it's the wrong one and perhaps worth a discussion with Tom. ?

Try this link:

There's a bit of sliding involved.
Mac.

yep that’s exactly what I tried (in reverse order).

You shouldn't have to cut it to fit. I think the blue circled clip is the spring and you should try putting it into the hole in the wing first at an angle from the side then push fit. If it doesnt clip secuerly into the gap it's the wrong one and perhaps worth a discussion with Tom. ?

I thought that the whole unit should slide into place without bending the blue circled clip, and that’s what @PlasticMac’s reference to the workshop manual seems to imply, however the hole is too small to do that. Hmm! I think I’ll ask Gary to take a look on Monday and we’ll take it from there.

I thought that the whole unit should slide into place without bending the blue circled clip, and that’s what @PlasticMac’s reference to the workshop manual seems to imply, however the hole is too small to do that. Hmm! I think I’ll ask Gary to take a look on Monday and we’ll take it from there.
Probably wise to leave it to the professionals but for your peace of mind the part number is correct.

The rusty clip I would try and find a stainless replacement and clean up the rust stain! As hole width is the root of your difficulty, are you sure it is as far towards the door as it will go?, tap it with a panel hammer.

A touch of silicon grease on the outside face of the blue circled plastic "spring" would not go amiss.

Andy

I just fitted mine a couple of weeks back - for sure you need to press the blue circled bit in to give the room to push the other side in but not to the point that its going to break off. Its meant to be a tight fit.

Back